Thrift store shopping?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 20th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Anyone else like to thrift store shop? I have recently been converted over from my SIL. Her kids always have the cutest clothes and she shops a lot at this particular thrift store. It is hit and miss over there, but when ever I am in the neighborhood I check it out. Yesterday it was a gold mine in there! Emily needed a coat for next year, I found the cutest purple coat with flowers and a hood- a little dirty, but washable- $4!! A jacket for $3, a sweater for $3, swimsuit for the baby $2, a Christmas dress for baby $3, maroon dress f/ baby $3 and a couple other things I can't remember. They are all in good condition and SO cute! She also got me into a twice a year yard sale thing that is run at a local Methodist church. You can buy or sell. I have a lot of stuff to get for next year for Emily, she has nearly nothing for winter. I love thrift stores!! They also have educational books for sale, but nothing good this time.

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

June 20th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Kangaroo510
We buy as much as we can clothing wise at the thrift store. I agree.. it's hit or miss but Dahlia has gotten a lot of cute stuff from there. I love the consignment sales too. I hate to pay a lot for clothes Dahlia is only going to wear for a few months and is going to demolish since she's such a messy eater!
June 20th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I prefer getting clothes on eBay. I hate shopping.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

June 20th, 2007, 01:34 PM
wolfpack's Avatar I need a frappuccino!
We do the twice a year children's consignment sale. Ours is called Reruns are Fun. Boy is it awesome!!! I get tons of stuff for the kids for GREAT prices!!! We love it!

June 20th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm a thrift store junkie! I buy most of the kids clothes second-hand but none of it looks pre-worn (well, at least until my kids start wearing it- they are tough on clothes!) I get alot of my stuff there too. I still wear a pair of shoes that I bought at a resale shop (they looked brand new) 5 years ago for $3! It's a good place for books too. I've found some great ones in resale shops.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
June 20th, 2007, 02:47 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am probably more the spendthrift here when it comes to kids clothes Lol. I do go to the thrift stores now and then but have never seen anything but play clothes. Their play clothes always seem to end up stained with mud and paint so I don't care too much about them. I would love to get some hand me downs for that but nobody gives me those anymore! I hate buying play clothes new.
But when we go out I like them to look nice. I love buying my kids nice clothes and I scour online off and on all year for cute outfits. I very rarely see anything nice at KMart or Big W, occasionally at Target. Girls stuff is often what I call 'hooker style' and the boys stuff I call "gang style" Ugg. Most of there good stuff I get at Gymboree and pumpkin patch sales and sometimes off Ebay. I love Gymboree, lol I even have a 'I love Gymboree' blinkie. Lol I often buy a box with my friend who also loves Gymboree. We sit and pour over the site drooling and putting way to much in our baskets! Half of what we have to put back I wish it was over here the postage from America is a killer!

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
June 20th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Love, love love it!!!
There is one called Once Upon a Child here and I could stay there for HOURS!! They have the fancy clothes for children like the easter outfits and christmas pictures type outfits and the regular clothes. I went and got like 9 sleepers there for the baby recently and most of them still had the tags on them but I got them for like 3$ each!

June 20th, 2007, 03:19 PM
I am so jealous!

June 20th, 2007, 03:39 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
I am not as much into thrift stores as I am into yardsales and buying in huge lots on e-bay. Here is an example. This summer, I have gotten Scotty over 300 new pieces of clothing. We are talking socks, shirts, shoes, shorts, long sleeve shirts, coats, jackets, hoodies, sleeveless shirts, pajamas (Carters), etc. I purchased a large lot of EUC clothes on E-bay for $100.00 and I would say I have spent a total of $50 or so at yardsales. I pick name brand stuff in great condition and get it for pennies.

I wouldn't do it any other way!
June 20th, 2007, 03:45 PM
I think I have a good deal if I get 6 pieces for $100!

June 20th, 2007, 05:04 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I truly have not bought any of us brand new clothing in years except for socks and underwear. Even at Wal-Mart prices, there's no way I could afford to rely on buying new. I don't know how families do it!

300 pieces of clothing!?! I bet he has as much clothes as all our kids put together!

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

June 20th, 2007, 05:44 PM
I've never counted. I know for ds this winter I havn't bought much as he still fits size 2 from last winter. lets see...
2 Gymboree shirts, a pair of cargo pants, 6 pairs of socks, an all in one blanket sleeper, flanelett pj's and fleecy Pj's, 5 singlets, play sneakers, good sneakers and a pair of good boots. Still well over $100 there. Someone else said they spent about $100 normaly total. I don't know how people do decent clothes so cheap! Well unless they have acces to large quantities of good cheap second hand.

June 20th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I paid $9 including shipping on eBay for Fritz's entire 6-9 month wardrobe... I was given all his 3-6 month clothes as gifts We bought a few 0-3 month things before he was born and got a few for gifts. His 12 month clothes were hand-me-downs. I bought him some 18 month things (and he got some as gifts) at Toys R Us on Saturday. Spent less than $20 and got 3 collared polo shirt type onesies, a cute bug onesie, and a shorts romper. They were all on clearance. He already has some 24 month stuff he's been given and some 3T hand-me-downs from my nephew. Cameron stayed in sizes so long his clothes were all worn out so no hand-me-downs from him.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

June 21st, 2007, 05:25 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I love Target Clearance. My kids have some cute stuff from there. Gymboree is an occasional treat and we love them. I love thrift, consignment, and yard sales....ebay is GREAT!

I also have Matt's mother. She buys them such cute stuff.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search