Need Some Info

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 20th, 2007, 05:55 PM
MamaAshley's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I decided to homeschool my DD for preschool this year, since she is very interested in doing "school work" and I think she's too young to go to an actual preschool, she's 3 1/2. So I started teaching her myself, and so far so good! I need some ideas though, I have no idea different ways to teach besides workbooks, and I have no idea HOW to teach her her letters and stuff. She loves to do her workbooks, and read, but I need more than that. Anyone have any good sites I can check out, or some ideas on teaching letters and numbers?

Also, a lot of my friends are putting their kiddos in preschool at 3 1/2, and I am feeling like they think i'm nuts that i'm not putting my DD in school. Is it wrong not to be sending her? And why do people think they should get 2 years of pre-school before actual K?

TIA!

Ashley, pre-RN student, birth doula and busy SAHM to Brianne 6, Colin 5, Kylie 4,
Bryson 2,and our lil man Noah Alexander turns one year on 7/5/10!

June 20th, 2007, 06:40 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome to the homeschooling board.

Quote:
Anyone have any good sites I can check out, or some ideas on teaching letters and numbers?[/b]
If you look up in the project section of this board you will see under links a whole swag of sites with free ideas.

Quote:
Is it wrong not to be sending her?[/b]
Well lol you wont find anyone here saying it is wrong. Most of us have kids that never went to preK, K or any other grade.

Quote:
And why do people think they should get 2 years of pre-school before actual K?[/b]
The whole mentality of school has changed over the last few years. Firstly there is the no child left behind nonsense. So schools are very worried about kids passing the test so they think (wrongly) that the younger you start the better. So that come start of K kids already know what use to be end of K stuff. In the long run it doesn't help at all it just causes burn out and feelings of low self-esteem for many kids who fail to meet these inflated goals at a time they should be mostly playing.
Secondly the thought that seems to be seeping down is that small children need 'independence' and 'socializing' On some board someone said she even heard a mother of a 3 month old talking about how her daughter needs to be around other kids. Ah no they don't, they need close bonding with there families. Ask people with older kids here who withdraw from ps if they have more friends, more sociability now to then. I think most will say there kids have a much better social life and more independence skills now after being with there families more.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
June 20th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
There is no need for formal preschool and I really think it is downright sad that people send their kids away at such a young age. Mostly what you should be doing with her right now is playing. Do crafts, read tons, and just plain have fun. It wasn't so long ago that there was not kindergarten, let alone preschool. Kids just played and all was fine. My uncle told me recently that he thinks it's so strange that people insist on pre-k and reading by the end of k since he went directly into first grade and then they learned to read just fine (and he reads tons to this day at 64 years old).

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

June 20th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm dittoing what these ladies have said. My boys haven't been to any preschool or daycare or anything and I like it that way! I want my kids to be able to be kids. I think sending a 3 year old away to school is ridiculous and unnecessary. Anywho!

If you really want to teach her letters and stuff I highly recommend the Leap Frog Letter Factory DVD. It is AWESOME!! I have taught my son his numbers with a computer game and I'm not sure what it's called, but we got it from Wal Mart and it was toddler and pre K stuff. HTH

Oh and Welcome!

June 21st, 2007, 06:46 AM
wolfpack's Avatar I need a frappuccino!
Hi! We had that whole why preschool discussion with the head of our church's preschool/daycare. (We had to use preschool/daycare while I finished up some of my college. Boy was that HARD!!) She agreed with Jo auctually! They do most of their "preschool" Through play. Not all are like that though!!! I remember him having a letter and color of the week. Like they would look for things that start with o, color oranges with an orange crayon, identify orange things around them, have an "orange day" where everyone wore orange, colored the letter o. The boys loved it! And we did similar things at home when we got home. They also did similar things with shapes, numbers, etc. They just had fun with it! Sang songs, etc. It was so relaxed. I hope to bring that mentality home with us these next years.

June 21st, 2007, 07:34 AM
MamaAshley's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thank you for your suggestions. I also get the whole "my kids need to be around other kids". While I do agree kids need to play with other kids, you don't need to send your children off to daycare or preschool at 3 years old to get that. These are also moms who do almost daily play and park dates with other kids. aren't they getting around othr kids while at the park? IMO they just want to get rid of them do they don't have to deal with them all week long. It's sad really.

Thanks for the advice, I will check out the links and maybe look up the Leap Frog DVD....thanks!

Thank you for your suggestions. I also get the whole "my kids need to be around other kids". While I do agree kids need to play with other kids, you don't need to send your children off to daycare or preschool at 3 years old to get that. These are also moms who do almost daily play and park dates with other kids. aren't they getting around othr kids while at the park? IMO they just want to get rid of them do they don't have to deal with them all week long. It's sad really.

Thanks for the advice, I will check out the links and maybe look up the Leap Frog DVD....thanks!

Ashley, pre-RN student, birth doula and busy SAHM to Brianne 6, Colin 5, Kylie 4,
Bryson 2,and our lil man Noah Alexander turns one year on 7/5/10!

June 21st, 2007, 05:42 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wanted to say welcome!

Look for resources at the library as well!

Letters:
*art project for letters
*talk about the sounds

Numbers:
*count together
*ask if she knows the letter, tell her if she doesn't
*teach value of number
*put 1-5 in order then keep going once she has it

LOTS OF ART!!!!!!! You can get books from the store, online stuff, library

Science and history...read and do hands on stuff!

Stick around here and chat with us!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search