Phonemic awarness

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 24th, 2007, 02:49 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This I have discovered Sarah does not have. We are up to the second area on study dog, where Sarah is meant to fill the fruit baskets by picking the consonants. She is having a lot of trouble.
Reading those old phonic books from that download site I posted, they talk about ear training. This is the first time I've read about it but I can see Sarah needs it badly. This morning I looked up phonemic awareness and found this simple online game with a bear and under it some more pictures. You click what picture starts with the same sound. I only showed her the top 3 pictures, a bug, a fish and a hat. She picked the hat and the fish before the bug! I am panicking a little here! I am wondering if kids just develop this ability as they go on in reading or not?

I was reading on some other site they said if a child can say the sounds of the letters (or enough sounds to make words) and they can reach with the opposite arm over their head and touch their ear (yer weird test!) that they are ready to learn to read. But without this phonemic awareness I don't think kids can blend.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
June 24th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Cameron's getting it. Slowly. I remember when Ani was learning to read Come Read With Me did a lot of what's the first sound/letter, what's the last sound/letter, what do you hear in the middle type stuff.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

June 24th, 2007, 07:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Eathan doesn't have that yet. I found THIS site. Which I'm sure you have one the same or similar . It is basically worksheets for practice on specifically phonemic awareness. I'm sure she will pick it up. She just needs some more practice with it. I'm just working with Eathan on sounding out words he is saying. He will ask me now what words start with. When he figures that out we will move on with what they end with, etc.

I'm not sure about that test. Sounds kind of funny to me, but I'm no expert.

June 24th, 2007, 07:33 PM
yes I have that site

I found a few sites with ear training type games, and from what I read, being able to hear that the word mop has mmm-ooo-ppp sounds in it is a hard skill that dosn't need to be mastered till first grade. So that is good to know. Being able to tell words that rhyme and words that don't is the easiest Phonemic awareness skill. I tried giving her cow, now, how, cat and she got that cat didn't rhyme straight off. So then I tried her on cat, car, cow, dog and she got that dog was the odd one because it didn't start with the cah sound, so maybe she isn't quite as bad as I first thought. *phew*!

I made up a game with her soft toys in a circle and we walked around them while I said rhyming words, when I said a non-rhyming word the toy we were behind was out. She enjoyed that but seemed to need more prompting. Maybe walking and listening is harder then just listening?

We also started the Alphabet island phonic programme today so if anyone is interested I will keep you informed as to how I am finding it. It is also a writing programme so I doubt I will be getting HWWT unless this one doesn’t work out. I just have to get regular lined paper as there too wide for Sarah as per usual. The first lesson has the child draw straight grass lines, then circles in glasses. I was suprised she did both pages without complaint!
First bad mark- the plastic that the alphabet cards sit in is supposed to go into the 3 ring binder. Well all 3 holes ripped! Not impressed with that!

June 25th, 2007, 02:57 PM
So no one interested in that last post at all???

June 25th, 2007, 05:08 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
How old is Sarah? It sounds as if she is doing well...I know my 4 year old son is not up to that level just yet...although he is definitely making progress. I was surprised the other day when the concept of same and different didn't just click for him. The pictures had subtle differences, but for awhile I was wondering if he was going to get it at all! He did though.

You know, phonemic awareness is SO HARD in the English language. Today, Scotty and I were going through the sounds for K and C which are essentially the same. Then he was working on a sounding out a word. It was a long word and the first O was a long O, the second was a short O sound. English is just so confusing. I never realized how difficult it really was until trying to teach the dynamics of it to my kids!
June 25th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Quote:
How old is Sarah?[/b]
Sarah is 5 1/2. Probably a right brained creative type learner. She has only shown an interest in letters and small words in the last few months.
I love the way the leap pad dvd's show K as kicking, as it helps kids see it much better I think.
If Scoty is already sounding out words he's really ahead!

June 26th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Sarah and Cameron are carbon copies. I swear it. Cameron's 3 months from 6. He can read a little bit and is really working hard at sounding stuff out. It's really hard for him, though.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

June 26th, 2007, 08:23 AM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
Ok this is all over my head..what exactly does it mean? I sear sometimes I am not cut out for this HSing thing..I have been reading this thread and am still kinda unsure what you all mean!
June 26th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Quote:
I have been reading this thread and am still kinda unsure what you all mean![/b]
Phonemic awarness is the ability to hear sounds. So if I asked you what rhymes with dog you might say fog. If asked what sound does 'mop' start with and what sound does it end with you should be able to give the sound for the letter M "mmm" and 'pah'. If I sound out the word "Cat" ca-ah-t you should be able to put those sounds together and know it makes cat.

http://reading.uoregon.edu/pa/

I wouldn't be concerned except for this- "One of the most compelling and well-established findings in the research on beginning reading is the important relationship between phonemic awareness and reading acquisition." (Kame'enui, et. al., 1997

But as Sarah can tell those ryming words I am not as concerned as before. I figure, like all things academic around here it will just take a bit longer.

June 26th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Some things just take some kids longer. I remember when I first started Ds on the study dog game. I just let him try all the areas as he wanted even if he hadn't finished the first ones. He just played it by himself. He did NOT get the section you are talking about. I think it is sometimes more difficult to hear a computer or electronic voice say the sounds than a real person, so that may be part of her trouble too.
Sarah will get it- sounds like she's beginning to already.

June 26th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Quote:
He did NOT get the section you are talking about.[/b]
Thats good to know. It could be that that is harder then it looks. I hadn't even thought of trying other areas! doh!! I thought you had to do it in order. I did sit with her and said what they were too, and a few she did get but then she would totaly fluff it up again; probably when I stoped helping and they went to a different sound. I will get her to try a different area of the game.

June 26th, 2007, 04:50 PM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
Ok..I get it now!
June 26th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
He did NOT get the section you are talking about.[/b]
Thats good to know. It could be that that is harder then it looks. I hadn't even thought of trying other areas! doh!! I thought you had to do it in order. I did sit with her and said what they were too, and a few she did get but then she would totaly fluff it up again; probably when I stoped helping and they went to a different sound. I will get her to try a different area of the game.
[/b][/quote]

Glad I could help He just recently really got that section and even still he doesn't get it 100% And he plays this game ALOT!

June 26th, 2007, 07:11 PM
missheather's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wouldn't worry about it just yet. All kids learn reading at different speeds. It just takes more practice with some.
June 28th, 2007, 01:54 PM
dingledine's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to dingledine Send a message via Yahoo to dingledine
Just wondering what site that is. (Bear one) Another site that my 2 year old loves is starfall.com. It has lots of phoenics sounds, which is where he has learned his. He has strange interests for his age. Check it out.

Jewelry for yourself, or for a friend. Breastfeeding aides, beautiful bracelets, earings and more.

Store.beadsarebeautiful.com
June 28th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Just wondering what site that is.[/b]
http://www.manatee.k12.fl.us/sites/element...rcompindex1.htm

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search