Good ideas I got from convention

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 25th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
So some of the things that stuck out to me were just different methods of doing things. Someone brought up a good point of not starting your homeschool day out with the things your kids aren't interested in. If they like math have them do it first, or reading first or whatever. They said often the things they aren't interested in then become a chore or a punishment "You can't do your ... until you finish ..." Then by the time they are done, they are frustrated and uninspired and just want to quit. So they never get the love of learning inspiration to keep going.

The other one was The Thomas Jefferson Education and how to inspire our kids to love to learn. If they don't like one subject, do everything you can to inspire them to learn it. The author of the book talked about how one mom had a son who was obsessed with Martial Arts. She said "I can't get him to do anything else, math, nothing." He suggested she learn everything she could about it herself. She got her son to learn Japanese, learn about the culture, learn about the physiology of it, physics, math all from Martial Arts and today she and her son speak Japanese and she has a black belt. He said every week he counsels with his kids to know what it is that they want to do. Then they all learn it together. Once he tried to help his son learn a language, he was thinking Spanish since both of him and his wife speak it. His son says "I know what I want to learn, Klingon!" So his son and his wife learned to speak Klingon. Anyway, it was so great to hear ideas of how to inspire them and make them passionate just by following their interests.

There were a bunch of other things, but those were some main ones. My Dh really liked how this one lady talked about your kids being who they are regardless of home or public school. They will be shy or outgoing no matter what. And he also said he liked the idea she had that if something tragic happens and you are having a hard time teaching- go back to the basics, reading, writing and arithmetic.

I got some more Usborne books. DD has been asking me about her bones and her brain so I got her a book about the body. She loves it so far. Anyway, just thought I would share.

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

June 25th, 2007, 05:11 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
Thanks for sharing! Sounds like some great points!
June 30th, 2007, 09:43 AM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What a fun time. Thankyou for giving us the pointers.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search