Children's Book of the Month Club

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 27th, 2007, 07:05 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
Okay, I was looking online for a children's book club and found one that was really good. Too good maybe. It is called Children's Book of the Month Club. I picked out all my books and started to sign up and then thought I'd better ask around and find out if this is a legitimate online business before I go and send in my cc info. Anyone know??

Children's Book of the Month Club
June 27th, 2007, 07:35 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
We have used CBOMC in the past. Make sure you have carefully read the terms for membership... usually you have to buy a certain number of books within a certain amount of time or else they start to send you nasty letters. They also will send books you do not necessarily want if you do not notify them ahead of time not to. If you get books you do not want you have to return them within a certain amount of time or you have no choice but to buy them. Lastly, it is really easy to spend more than you probably need to on books that you can get at the library for free. BUT, if you can afford it and are looking for a quick way to build your personal library, this is the best way to do it! They have a pretty good selection, and their prices for new books were pretty good even if you factor in shipping.

HTH!

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

June 28th, 2007, 06:46 AM
~hsingtreehouse~
Thanks!!! That does help.

I have been a member of BMG for YEARS and it sounds similar. I usually just wait till we have some extra $$ and buy the membership fulfillment all at once. Hopefully I can keep up with the featured selections. It sucks to get books you don't want! However, if there are good deals surrounding them, it may not be so bad. I checked them out on the BBB and they are on the up and up. They do have a lot of complaints, but it looks like they have worked to resolve each and every one of them.

Thanks for the insight!!
June 28th, 2007, 07:44 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Come to think of it I have received mailings from them. They sound like a typical membership thing. You have to buy 5 more in 2 years. Pretty typical.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

June 28th, 2007, 12:42 PM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
I joined CBOMC when Reilly was born and stayed a member long enough to fulfill my commitment and now I don't order from them anymore. I belong to Sound and Spirit (the Christian music branch of BMG) and they always have great deals on CD's - like, buy 1, get 2 free and stuff like that - and I thought CBOMC would be like that. But they hardly EVER do great deals like that and, while the books may be a titch cheaper than Barnes & Noble, you have to factor in shipping which jacks up the cost quite a bit. Plus, like all mail-in clubs, you can't cancel having the "Deal of the Month" sent to you until you fulfill your commitment, which is a pain.

BUT, if you do decide to join and don't fulfill the commitment right away (like you said you were planning to) here are some tips! When you receive the selection of the month, you can just write "Return to Sender" on the unopened box and put it out in the mail and they will get sent back to them. Now, it will take a couple of weeks for your account to be "credited" those books, but you don't have to pay for them. I used to do this all the time when I knew that I wasn't expecting to receive anything from them. And, as I said, once you've fulfilled your commitment, you can remain a member and just call them and tell them that you don't want to automatically receive the monthly selection. One nice thing (pretty much the only nice thing, as I see it!) about remaining a member is that you can look through the catalog, see which books catch your eye, then get the book from the library, or from Barnes & Noble if it's one that you know you'll want to own. I do that all the time with the catalogs that I get from the grown ups book club that I belong to because I got tired of buying books that I'm only going to read once!

ETA: Oh, and another thing I just thought of...I'd probably NOT join online if you have to give your credit card number simply so you're NOT getting charged for the monthly selection every time they send it out. I'd see if you can have them send you a paper mailing and join that way. I always ordered and then sent them a check after I got the books.

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

June 28th, 2007, 01:14 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
Thanks for the feedback!! That sucks that they don't run special deals on the books after your fulfuill your membership committment! That kinda ruins it for me.

If I join online, there is a "bill me" option.

The only perk is that Barnes and Noble is a 2 hour round trip for me. So, honestly, shipping wouldn't necessarily jack the cost up too much for me if I factor in Gas. Sounds like it would be a break even deal. Oh well.
June 28th, 2007, 02:47 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I belong to the Double Day Kids Book Club. I am sure it was way more then 5 books in two years, probably more like 4 books per year. We have bought some nice books from them that I havn't seen in bookshops or our library (remember our library is crummy though) Trouble is they are awfuly expensive! Once you are a full member you get the books at the VIP price instead of the regular price, so that is usualy about $3 off.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
June 29th, 2007, 04:55 AM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback!! That sucks that they don't run special deals on the books after your fulfuill your membership committment! That kinda ruins it for me.

If I join online, there is a "bill me" option.

The only perk is that Barnes and Noble is a 2 hour round trip for me. So, honestly, shipping wouldn't necessarily jack the cost up too much for me if I factor in Gas. Sounds like it would be a break even deal. Oh well.[/b]
Oh, that's nice about the "bill me" option! And YIKES, if you live that far away from a B&N, then it sure makes sense that shipping would be a better option!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

June 29th, 2007, 07:19 AM
Do you have any nearby bookstores? How's your library? Oh, goodness, I would die. We have about 192 bookstores (at least!) within 2 hours. The closest Borders and Barnes and Noble are 3 or 4 miles away.

Smaller on the Outside

June 29th, 2007, 02:51 PM
192 bookstores!

You counted them?! We have 3 here in town. But how many up to 2 hours away I would totaly not know. How many bookstores does a small city normaly have?

June 29th, 2007, 09:02 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
We used to have a Christian bookstore in town, but it has since shut down. The closest bookstore is about 45 minutes away and it is one in the mall with like NO selection at all. Our library is small, and although we have interlibrary loans, it is sometimes had to get a specific book when I need it. It is great to have that resource, but it surely isn't one I can count on time and again.The Good/Big Barnes and Noble is one one side of Johnson City, TN (about an hour away) and the Borders is on the other side of Johnson City. (1.25 hours).P.S. When I say I live in a small town, I mean small. i.e. Population below 5,000 people.
June 29th, 2007, 09:28 PM
We are small, but not that small. It's hard to tell exactly how many live in the actual town as while it says 10,000 that is the shire population. Do you have shires? We just got a mall with underground parking and a BigW shop. Like your Walmart I guess, but smaller. With that mall came 2 small bookshops!

June 30th, 2007, 05:59 AM
~hsingtreehouse~
Nope, no shires here. What is that?? Is it similar to the parishes in Lousisianna?
June 30th, 2007, 06:13 AM
In my city, just my city, not the DC Metro area which kind of runs together in one big congested clump, there are 33,000 people living in my zip code alone. 100,000 in my whole city. There are 19 Barnes and Noble stores within just 15 miles of me. There are 18 Borders within 15 miles of me. Some random trivia... Heather Graham (actress) and Dave Grohl (drummer for Nirvana and Foo Fighters leader) were born in the city where I live.

Smaller on the Outside

June 30th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Quote:
Nope, no shires here. What is that?? Is it similar to the parishes in Lousisianna?[/b]
I think so...Our shire encompasses our town which is the largest country town and smaller country towns out for I am not sure how far. Different shires are different sizes. Not sure how they figure it out.

June 30th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Shires sounds like counties for us. I'm not sure though.

I don't know about that book club, but I've joined a Disney movie club and it is very aggrevating after a while with the auto ships they send. It just gets old when you just want the stuff you want, kwim??

Anywho, I hope it works out for you if you decide to do it.

June 30th, 2007, 09:19 PM
There are 6 million people in the DC Metro area. That's a lot of people. (Amazing what Wikipedia can tell you!)

Smaller on the Outside

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search