Teaching the concept of Rhyming words

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 28th, 2007, 09:29 AM
~hsingtreehouse~
Oy! I did rhyming words with Scotty today and it was like I flew over his head in a jet plane! OMG he totally had NO IDEA what I was talking about. I read him hop on Pop and pointed out the words and how the sound the same. I did a thing I saw online where I point to my nose and say "rose" and he is to say "nose." He just looked at me like I was insane and repeated "rose." I explained the concept to him - "you say NOSE and I say a word that rhymes with it...ROSE." I pointed to my nose and he said "Rose." OMG!

Does anyone have any idea how I can make this make sense to him??? Is he too young to get the concept of rhyming words? He know the alphabet and the sounds the letters make and we are working on sounding out small words. Right now, it is more me than him....but he is understand that we read words on a page.

ADVICE?? Please!!
June 28th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I wish I could help. Eathan is just now wanting to learn his letters again. If I figure out anything exciting I will share, but I know someone in here will have an idea.

June 28th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Don't stress about it. He'll get it in time. Some kids get rhyming easily and some do not. Cameron's been rhyming words since he could talk (literally... that was at 2 1/2 years old). Ani, however, has only really gotten rhyming down consistently in the last 6 months-ish, around the time she turned 7. Of course she's been reading well since she was 4 1/2 and Cameron is struggling to learn to read at 5 3/4. We just would rhyme words low-key and eventually it clicked.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

June 28th, 2007, 11:03 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Ds is just getting this too...sort of. I got a rhyming puzzle and we did it together- I showed him how most of the words end the same way and that's why they rhyme. Like Dog/Hog both end in OG and he understood that. We're still working on the ones that aren't spelled the same but rhyme- its really ear training- DS gets it visually but gets thrown when he has to rely on only the sound. I think that skill takes a little longer to develop for some kids.
Don't feel bad- scotty will get it soon!

June 28th, 2007, 12:23 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Quote:
I point to my nose and say "rose" and he is to say "nose."
<snip>
ADVICE?? Please!![/b]
Don't play that game anymore. Seriously, a game like that requires a type of abstract thought that I wouldn't personally expect in a 3 1/2 year old. You might introduce some poetry to him... my kids love all the poems by R.L. Stevenson, and I have them do memory work with the poems and mother goose rhymes. Eventually the fact that the words rhyme is a discovery that he will make for himself... with regular exposure you won't necessarily have to teach it at all.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 3 and John Anthony, born May 24

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

Remember your resolution to lose weight or start working out? Click the blinkie to join us!

June 28th, 2007, 12:57 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
Thanks ladies!!!

LOL - I think you are right about the nose/rose game. He has been calling his nose a rose all day now!

I am glad to hear that others do not necessarily "get" rhyming words right off the bat too. I mean, to me, it seems like a big DUH - I thought that would be easy. Bryce was about 2 when I was reading a book by Dr. Seuss and he said "mommy, those words sound the same, and those words sound the same...." pointing to the pages. I told him they were rhyming words and he spend the day saying and making up words to rhyme with everything he could think of. I mean it was just "oh, okay" and now it has a name "rhyme."

Scotty, on the other hand, looked at me like I was ignorant. He also has a hard time with "more and fewer" and he gives me that same "WTH?" look. But more and fewer is a math concept and he is just learning numbers and counting, so I understand how that is a little too advanced to expect him to just "get." And in all honesty, he did well considering. He also struggles some with "different" - he gets "same" but "different" he only about half gets. But this rhyming thing, ~whew~
June 28th, 2007, 02:58 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This is what I was talking about on my other thread! Rhyming is all part of phonemic awareness.
Quote:
it was like I flew over his head in a jet plane![/b]
That was just how I felt about Sarah not getting that bug and bear on that game started with the same sound! It's like we say look here is something fun and easy to play expecting the kid will love it and be a piece of cake and the kid gives you the look like your off on another planet!

With Sarah I found if I made it really funny, like when we played that rhyming game (on the other thread) she would 'get it' better. I also did that on that Study Dog game, so if the picture was a 'bell' I would say jell, pell, zell. Sarah thought it was hilarious.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
June 28th, 2007, 03:05 PM
Platinum Supermommy
DS had a thing with more and fewer too- we started using m&m's and at first I would make one group obviously more and then I would make it a little harder...he gets it now! Don't mess with a boy and his favorite candy!

June 28th, 2007, 04:13 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Bryce was about 2 when
and
Scotty, on the other hand

I say this with all love and sincerity.... comparing one child to another is never a good idea. It is unfair to both of them.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 3 and John Anthony, born May 24

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

Remember your resolution to lose weight or start working out? Click the blinkie to join us!

June 28th, 2007, 07:51 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
That's true. And Bryce is obviously a differnt child than Scotty. They have different dads for one thing. But other than that, Bryce has ADHD and is a totally different thinker than Scotty. The really just couldn't be more different. It is so hard, though. I have no "guide" because Bryce has always been that kid that just "gets" it. I was that way too growing up. Scotty is not that kind of learner. Sure, some things come natural, but other thing he has to work at. But like someone said - he is 3 and 3/4 for goodness sakes! I guess sometimes I expect a little too much!

Jo, I can definitely appreciate your frustration more now. Not so much frustration, but concern! I was like you and thought, this will be easy and he blew me away with that "huh?" Look!
June 29th, 2007, 04:20 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
And Jo's daughter is 2 years older than Scotty. At 5 3/4 there is MUCH more cause for concern than at 3 3/4 in reading things and even then it's okay to not be steaming ahead. It is definitely not good to compare kids. If I compared Ani and Cameron I'd think there was something majorly wrong with Cameron when it's really Ani who is just very ahead.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

June 29th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
You might just try lots of books with rhythm and rhyme in them (Dr. Seuss is one example, Dennis Lee is another). Three year olds tend to like rhymes, particularly when the rhythm is there, and they start to just pick it up that way, without having to *learn* about it. When you think about it, rhyming really is an abstract thing, which means they just need to do it a lot.
June 29th, 2007, 02:02 PM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
One of the things that shocked me SO much about homeschooling was how hard it is to explain something that seems so easy to someone...does that make sense? It's almost as though it's harder to teach something that I find easy because I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND why she can't understand it. So many times I have to stop and think "OK, how can I explain this better?" because I think that I'm explaining it in the most elementary manner and she's still not understanding! It can be SO frustrating!
But, I agree with the other ladies that rhyming is something that will come with time!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

June 29th, 2007, 02:38 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
And Jo's daughter is 2 years older than Scotty.[/b]
That's a big gap at this age. I tried the rose nose thing with Sarah and she thought it was hilarious, like a silly joke. I know at 3 3/4 she wouldn't have got it at all. But she still can't make her own rhymes.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search