So, I did some research.....

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 2nd, 2007, 09:42 PM
Kangaroo510
After our pickle discussion in the movin' mama's thread I thought I would find out some more interesting things about Australia! Jo, I'm taking the first flight I can get. At only $2000 per person with 3 stops I think I can squeez it into my budget. I couldn't figure out the actual amount of time it takes though. I also found a house for sale. It has a veggie garden and a chook house. I have wanted chickens for awhile now so it's perfect. Slightly out of my price range but what's a girl to do. You gotta have a veggie garden and chooks!!!! I found out that Australia and America are close to the same size but America has over WAY more people. Sorry, I forgot all of the actual numbers. Lets just say that we are cramming people into the states! I saw a picture of a dingo and decided that I REALLY need one. It's going to be my guard Dingo.... I guess I'll have to bring my own American "cheerios" as well as my dill pickle chips and key limes!

Oh, Jo? Do you guys have sweet tea down there? If not, I'm going to have to bring that as well!!!!!
July 3rd, 2007, 04:12 AM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well American Cherios came here last year, well one variety did, multigrain I think.
Although if you ask for cherios at the local supermarket they will probably direct you to the delly section were they will ask you how many kilograms of cherios you want, then hand you a butcher paper wraped bundle. *Do not pour these into your cereal bowl*. If you say you were after a box of them they will probably think your a few roo's short of a top paddock. Never mind! The average Aussie will just laugh and say "Those crazy yanks" (in an endearing manner I asure you!)

We have tea as in tea bags or loose tea, you boil the kettle and pour it over, spoon in the sugar and it will be sweet....is that what you mean? Lol

(Editing because I can't spell. I put unsure when I meant asure! lol)

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
July 3rd, 2007, 06:03 AM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
Just yesterday, I got a book about Australia from the library. I would say that I got it for The Kids, but neither one of them even knows that I picked it up, so I know, deep in my heart, that I got it for ME!!
Now I need to go and find the pickle discussion to find out what in the heck THAT was all about!!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

July 3rd, 2007, 06:11 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
One of these days we're going to have to visit Australia. Jamie has cousins there so we've got a great excuse but Jamie's mom doesn't know we know about or communicate with those cousins so that could be a problem for her to know we are visiting them (it's a long convoluted story but they are members of our church - converts like Jamie - and Jamie's mom doesn't like that and so doesn't want us to get to know them). So how far is it from New South Wales to Queensland? A trip to Australia wouldn't be complete without a visit to Jo!

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

July 3rd, 2007, 06:51 AM
Kangaroo510
Jo - You are on the right track with the sweetened tea... except for we drink it iced. Ahhh.... gotta love the south!

Lisa - the movin mama's thread has the pickle discussion. It's kind of neat to see the differences between the miles!

July 3rd, 2007, 07:05 AM
Quote:
So how far is it from New South Wales to Queensland?[/b]
Ah well that depends where in NSW you are and where in QLD you want to go to......the two states are ajoining, so um 1 second if your standing on the border lol. From Sydney to Brisbane (capital cities) is a 13 hour drive. QLD is one huge place.

July 3rd, 2007, 07:48 AM
The cousins live on the coast in NSW in Wyndham.

Smaller on the Outside

July 3rd, 2007, 11:40 AM
Kangaroo510
Jo - You said QLD is the place to be right? Cheaper anyway? I'm going to get us prepared just incase we ever decide to move outside of the USA.
July 3rd, 2007, 03:34 PM
Lol well some things are cheaper. I think our bills like for electricity and stuff is cheaper, Houses are much cheaper up here then down in New South. I don't know how anyone could afford to buy a house in Sydney unless they are rich. The same house would be like 500,000 there verses 200,000 here. Petrol is way expensive all over. $1.20 per litre. Food I think is more expensive, the bread we get, a nice multi grain is $3.40! Kids clothing seems to be way more expensive from what I read on other threads. I think I have a bargain pair of nice pants if I get them for $16, I have never seen clothes just a few dollars like Americans online tell me they got. Also all this snail mail homeschool stuff from the States costs an arm and leg for shipping!

Heather, wow that looks to be another 6 hours south of Sydney, so about 19-20 hours of driving from there to here.

July 3rd, 2007, 03:39 PM
Yeah, they have said they are about 6 hours from Sydney.

Hey, did you know there is a whole forum on JM for Australian (and NZ) mommas? You could go pick their brains lol twiceinabluemoon who comes here occasionally lived in Melbourne for a few months. Her husband had a contract there. She looked into what it would take to move there permanently and found it is a LOT harder than someone deciding to move here (to the US) permanently.

Smaller on the Outside

July 3rd, 2007, 04:09 PM
I have posted there about 3 times. It is very *yawn* slow plus they are mostly pregnant or new bub mums and talk centres around that, of which I am out of that loop now. I have posted on delays, boys, infant loss and debates, but only post here and on the intact care board now.
Lol Heather are you on commission or trying to get rid of us all That is the forth board you have recommended in the last week or so.

July 3rd, 2007, 04:15 PM
LOL I guess you could say commission. It's actually part of the JustMommies Hosts July Jamboree. I'm in a contest and I had to refer to 5 other boards this week. I didn't realize there were SOOO many boards on here before looking over the list actually!

Smaller on the Outside

July 3rd, 2007, 04:21 PM
Lol I was guessing it was a host thing.

July 3rd, 2007, 04:48 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I was just going to post a topic for Heather to ask if you were a JM recruiter LOL!

July 3rd, 2007, 07:55 PM
LOL I do promote JM a lot anyway actually. I have a link to this forum on my blog and I got twiceinabluemoon and Sharon over here. I'm a JM Junkie lol

Smaller on the Outside

July 3rd, 2007, 09:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
So, what do you get if you win??

July 3rd, 2007, 10:07 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Okay....so what would cheerios be in butcher paper???? I have to know!

July 3rd, 2007, 10:20 PM
Lol! I was waiting for someone to ask.....

Cherios are little sausages about finger size with red skins. Kind of like mini hot dog sausages. They are mostly boiled in a large pot of water and served at kids parties where children dip and re-dip *Eewww!* there sausages in bowls of tomato sauce. You can eat the whole sausage, but many kids tend to peel or spit bits of the skin out, so after woulds you have to collect little bits of red sausage skin off your table cloth and floor!

July 3rd, 2007, 10:56 PM
Kangaroo510
I actually remembered what the Cherios were from a discussion we had a long time ago! I have good recall... sometimes.

It sounds kind of like our cocktail weiners. Although we dip those in bbq sauce.

July 4th, 2007, 06:12 AM
Amazon gift cards in varying amounts are the prizes. So if some of my posts seem a little weird this month... you know why.

Smaller on the Outside

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search