Welcome, Marnee!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 3rd, 2007, 05:06 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Welcome, Marnee! We're glad to have you here! Introduce yourself when you get a chance.

I am Heather, married to Jamie, with three kids so far. Ani is 7 1/2, Cameron is 5 3/4, and Fritz will be a year next week. We've been homeschooling the kids since the start and I was homeschooled for a few years myself. I used the LifePACs for some of my own schooling and really liked them.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

July 3rd, 2007, 05:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy

July 3rd, 2007, 01:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Welcome welcome!

July 3rd, 2007, 02:33 PM
Veteran
Thanks for the welcome!
Lets see.. I've got my 12yr old girl, a 10yr old girl and one little guy who is 17mos. I'm a SAHM living in Hawaii for the next year and wife to a Marine.

I began to homeschool my girls when my older one was in Kindergarten. We were doing well up until my older girl was getting ready for 2nd grade, that's when I noticed some learning difficulties with reading and math. I thought help from a teacher would be best just incase I was doing something wrong, so I enrolled them both into a charter school. I explained the learning difficulties only for it to be ignored.
The following year, I put my girls into another school and the teacher took notice to my daughter's struggles and at how behind it was setting her. As it turns out, we put my older girl back into the previous grade.
THey've been in public school ever since and my older girl still struggles some with reading and math. I still wonder if it's my fault that she struggles.
My younger girl has had no problems at all and is actually ahead in most areas.

This year, my older daughter is starting junior high. There are quite a few issues with the school here (off base) so we thought it best to homeschool her while we are still here.
She's excited and definately ready!
I just hope I can help her properly.
July 3rd, 2007, 02:49 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome to the board. I am Jo from Australia, and my kids are sarah 5 1/2 and Daniel 2 3/4. We use Math-U-See, Alphabet Island Phonics and lots of games and other bits and pieces.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
July 3rd, 2007, 08:27 PM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes, welcome!
I wanted to comment on your concern that your homeschooling your daughter to begin with set her behind. No, if anything it helped her. If she struggled there with you one on one, then it would have only been more of a struggle in a classroom setting. I don't see how, if the parent is truely working with a child, that harm could ever come from it. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how she improves when you get her home again. I hope I am right.
I have a 6th grader...hard to believe. My boys will be in the 3rd and 4th grades. Wow, my babies are getting so big!
July 4th, 2007, 04:01 AM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
Hello and welcome to the board! (And a special salute out to your Marine on this July 4th! Do you know Niamh Dhabolt, by any chance? She's a regular here whose husband is a Marine, stationed somewhere in Hawaii, too!)
I'm Lisa and my kids are Reilly, who is 7 and will be in 2nd grade and Declan who is 4 and will be doing preschool - or at least as much as he wants to! I'm glad you're here and I look forward to getting to know you!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

July 4th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Veteran
Thanks for the welcomes!

Shery~ Thank you so much for your post about my concerns. It's hard at times to not wonder if I could have done something wrong to cause her struggles since I was hsing right from the start. Honestly, I don't see what I could have done wrong but that little thought still creeps around. We homeschooled through a charter school, so we still had weekly meetings and from what I was told, I was doing things just fine.

Lisa~ Thank you! I don't personally know any other military wives on here who have a hubby stationed in Hawaii. I noticed there was a military mommy area, but I haven't been over there yet.

Jo~ Hello! My hubby is in Australia right now for another week or so. I'm definately jealous that he's over there! Since I was little, I've always had a fascination with Australia for some reason. I use to tell my dad every day that I was going to end up living there when I was older.lol
Well, since I didn't get to go yet, I hope my hubby brings me something good.

I hope you all have a wonderful day, thanks again for the welcome!
July 4th, 2007, 08:21 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Well, since I didn't get to go yet, I hope my hubby brings me something good.[/b]
Tell him to bring you back a jar of Vegemite. Mmm,mm that is so good on toast. Just don't listen to what Heather says about it! Lol

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
July 5th, 2007, 05:37 AM
*Sharon*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy

She may still be "behind" when you hs her, but she is actually more likely to do better than she would be in other types of school because it is all one-on-one.

I was hs'd from 8th grade until grad and sh was from 3rd grade until grade. We plan to hs ours the entire way through.

Sharon, wife to Noah; mom to Belle (12.5), Ryllan (10), Finn (6), and Zane (3).

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search