New to HS board

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 3rd, 2007, 09:43 AM
writinghoosier's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to writinghoosier Send a message via Yahoo to writinghoosier
Hi all! I'm Sarah. I have two under two, and while we are more than likely going to be sending our kids to parochial school, I am very intent on supplementing their education with home schooling plans and techniques. I was wondering if any of you have any suggestions on things I can start doing with my youngest, who turns two at the end of the summer. Any thoughts would be great!

I look forward to getting to know you all a lot better!

Thanks for the link, ~Cupcake~!
July 3rd, 2007, 11:03 AM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hello and Welcome!

I would start with a good art station. A place all his that is filled with supplies that are easy to find and put away. Teach him how to use them, clean them, and sort them when he is done using them. A cute apron is good and a mat under his areas.

You can get big tubs of beans and rice for him to dig through or maybe a sandbox. Those have lots of potential. You can count the beans....etc.

Start pointing out letters, shapes, numbers and generally talk to him like he knows it. He will pick it up just from this everyday play and time with you.

Sing and do hand motions with songs and do them until he knows them.

Plant a garden spot just for him...teach him to tend to it. Teach him the parts of the plants and how they grow.

Teach him to prepare his own little snacks.

Glad your here!

July 3rd, 2007, 01:21 PM
Send a message via AIM to writinghoosier Send a message via Yahoo to writinghoosier
Great ideas... in fact, for his birthday, when we get the question, "What should we get Keegan?" We're actually saying anything with wheels or art supplies.

July 3rd, 2007, 01:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi and welcome!
I was going to say play play play- introduce him to different textures, art mediums, read to him daily, draw and color with him- when you are out and about taking walks point things out to him and discuss the colors of things or the different animals you see. You can get really cheap lacing games and little educational toys to play with- let him play with the measuring cups in the sand or bath, blow bubbles... All kinds of fun things to do!

July 3rd, 2007, 02:37 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
I have nothing new to add except READ to him. Daily! Even if he won't sit still to listen to the whole story, you can look at the pages and make up something like "look, she is sleeping." Turn the page and "oh, now she is waking up. It is morning." Reading is sooo important early on.
July 3rd, 2007, 03:05 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi and welcome. I don't have much to add except have lots of open ended craft like paint and paper rather then closed craft which has a goal of making something. It's all about the process rather then product at that age. Also lots of outdoor time outside with a child friendly back yard if you have the room. Balls, climbing frame, swing, sand pit, a place to just dig in the dirt.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
July 3rd, 2007, 03:16 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Oh, gosh, at this age... play and read and HAVE FUN!

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

July 3rd, 2007, 08:22 PM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome Sarah! Your boys are so cute . Mine boys are very close in age too. Patrick turned 1 only two weeks before Carter was born. My daughter, Madison, was only 2 when the third one was born. I love having them close.
My advice is to just play play play at this young age. When mine got a little older, two of them really enjoyed the fun workbooks with all of the newest cartoon characters and all. These taught them a lot, but play was the very best thing for them.
Again, welcome. I look forward to getting to know you!
July 4th, 2007, 03:54 AM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
I don't really have any advice to add - the other ladies covered anything I would have said! - but I wanted to welcome you to the board!! Glad you're here!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

July 4th, 2007, 07:09 PM
First, thanks for the warm welcome! Second, thanks for letting me know that I'm on the write track. We "read" 4-5 picture books, which doesn't include the time he spends flipping through books, which is surprisingly often. I'm looking forward to learning from all of you!

July 4th, 2007, 07:35 PM
*Sharon*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome!!!!

play and read; read and play!!!!!!

Sharon, wife to Noah; mom to Belle (12.5), Ryllan (10), Finn (6), and Zane (3).

July 5th, 2007, 08:45 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sarah, we look forward to learning and sharing with you as well. Don't be a stranger!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search