Thinking about homeschooling...

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 4th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hello! I usually post in House and Home, but have been thinking about homeschooling and wanted advice...
I'm a SAHM to 2 1/2 yr. old "Biscuit", and live in a big city (USA). I've been doing research on the criteria for homeschooling, and in my state, it looks like no certification is required on my part, nor does my state seem to need yearly testing for kids. I want to be as certified as I can be for this, and I also want to be sure I have my "ducks in a row", paperwork and test and EVERYTHING speaking.
Homeschooling is an avenue I'm seriously considering and would like advice and facts before I really delve into it. Would you mind sharing your pros and cons with me (I really need to hear the honest cons, please!)? As I'm sure most would be in the "maybe" stages, I'm nervous if I fit the bill for such an endeavor. I'll check any posts you all have here, but also pm me if you'd like.
Thank you all!
July 4th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
If you're in a state without a lot of requirements, that is great! It will make things much easier for you. I would say start by doing some research on homeschooling styles to see what you think would best fit you and your child. See if you can find some books on the subject at your library and of course the internet is your friend. We've only homeschooled for one year, but this is what I've learned so far regarding personal pros and cons:

Pros for me so far have been:

1) being able to allow my kids to work at their own pace and not have to fall behind because they didn't understand something or wait for 30 other students to catch up if they're ahead. Also Curriculum can be customized just for them to suit their particular learning style.
2) they can follow their own academic interests
3) flexibility (can take time off when we want/need to, can start early or late, take field trips when the mood strikes, etc..)
4) having my kids home with me and together as a family all day, not away at an institution 8-10 hours per day
5) less peer pressure/ bad influences, etc.
6) they are actually learning new things (instead of having to repeat the same old stuff they already knew) , and excelling academically
7) stronger family bonds/ less sibling rivalry
8) It's fun for me too!

Cons

1) can be time-consuming ( but again since I find it fun it really isn't a problem for me.)
2) my kids occasionally complain of missing their school friends (they were in public school a few years) but joining a homeschooling co-op has helped solve this problem for the most part.
3) friends, family, and neighbors will not always be supportive and you may find yourself having to defend your position

That's about all I can think of for now. Welcome to the board by the way. Have fun learning about homeschooling!

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
July 4th, 2007, 05:07 PM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
Robin wrote all the pros i would have so I won't add..but for us the only con has been the comments from other people.. We have gotten some lovely things said to us..but that's ok.. we have a much better family then we did a year ago ( we pulled our then 6th grader out) so they can comment all they want!
July 4th, 2007, 07:56 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi and welcome.
Some more pro's and con's
pro's
1. Being able to give my kids the kind of education I want them to have. I plan on having history and the Bible as the backbone of our children’s education. Not something you can get through ps.
2. I like that I get to choose where my money goes. Unlike school fees which disappears into the school every thing I buy for homeschooling I have chosen. Sure sometimes I make mistakes in buying but at least it is my mistake and I am not stuck with it, I can resell it. Also it's really fun buying stuff!
3. Homeschoolers have better academic scores then ps kids. HSLDA has a page of scores. I will hunt this down for you. Even kids with parents who didn't finish high school did better at homeschooling then they would have done at ps. being certified or a PhD holder had little impact on homeschooled kids long term performance. If you check the link you can see even high school drop out parents had kids who did well with homeschooling. The only area that parent education, income or race effected the kids was if there kids went to ps. This link should put your mind at reat that you can do a good job. http://www.hslda.org/docs/study/comp2001/H...Achievement.pdf
4. It is cheaper then privet school, in fact if you are super careful it can be cheaper even then ps.
Con's
1. Being with my young kids 24/7 can drive me nuts at times. My youngest is 2 3/4 and I know some of his antics would not be happening if his sister were at school. Although maybe he would dream up some other mischief instead! However the don't stay that age forever.
2. The school may have some more equipment and classes that I wont have at home.
3. You will probably spend more then with ps.
4. You may have more running around and having to organize things like swimming or music type lessons then you would if your child went to a school with it laid on already.

If you want to homeschool you don't need to be super mum, a college grad, a teacher or any other special thing. The only qualification you need is to be a mum (or dad!) who wants to homeschool and do right by your kids.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
July 5th, 2007, 06:19 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I think they've gotten all the pros and cons. What state are you in?

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

July 5th, 2007, 06:55 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm in Illinois. Oh, thank you very much for all of the insight! I will keep checking in here to get more advice and info from you good people!!
July 5th, 2007, 07:02 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Oh, what an easy state you live in! You have to do absolutely nothing in the way of reporting or keeping records or proving progress to the state. That's awesome. Anything and everything you do is up to you.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

July 5th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Boy I wish!!! If you did decide to school you sure would have an easy time at it as far as requirements go!

July 5th, 2007, 09:20 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I was guessing you might be in Illinois. I am too and have found it wonderfully easy here- regarding laws and such. No one gave me a hard time at all when I pulled out my oldest two.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
July 5th, 2007, 11:00 AM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome to the best place on JM!

I can't really think of any cons. Sure there are days where things don't flow or the kids and I don't see eye to eye. But those are days when you just get creative or find some time to just be with them. Go to the park, read, just explore with them.

I just love being with my kids and learning with them. I haven't had to teach anything yet, because they do it themselves. It is a really neat thing to watch.

Have fun deciding! I promise it isn't such a big deal. The PS's have done a great job of making it seem so.

July 5th, 2007, 12:28 PM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
Well said Chelita.. the PS and the system surrounding it sure have made the business of educating kids seem like rocket science..LOL
July 5th, 2007, 02:17 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think to people who are in or from the system looking in, that homeschooling looks to be the most daunting, hard and overwhelming choice.
But to people who are already homeschooling It's like a well kept secret that homeschooling can actually be enjoyable, and even the easiest of ways to educate your kids. To me having to get out of bed early, get my daughter ready and on a bus in time, deal with school burocracey then a cranky child with a load of home work- now that would be the harder option.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
July 5th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thank you all so much! All of your info is very appreciated!
I'll be sure to keep checking in, and I'm sure that I'll have lots of questions as I proceed toward a decision.
July 5th, 2007, 08:35 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would be the worst ps mom!

Hey Charlotte...I am reminded of a few comments you made when Samuel was in school. They made me giggle just like you make me back then. Now your the teacher and since you know her so well...it ain't no big thing!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search