TV or No TV?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 5th, 2007, 05:56 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
We're trying to decide whether or not to get a TV. We don't even own a TV set and haven't had TV for three years straight now. We've had a few months here and there without TV before that as well. We have nothing against TV. The main reasons we don't have one are 1.) you have to pay for it if you want reception where we live, and 2.) I have a tendency to get addicted to watching it all the time. The kids download shows from iTunes but Cameron's pretty much exhausted the educational videos he's interested in/are at his level.

We have FiOS internet and can get FiOS TV. Tons of "smart" channels (even the Pentagon channel... I didn't know the Pentagon HAD a channel!) and even BYU which is our church's TV station. We can't decide if the cons outweigh the pros or vice versa. So we keep going back and forth. At any rate it'll take us 2-3 months to save up for a nice flat TV so we have time to decide if we really want to go the TV route or not while saving for one.

What would you do?

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

July 5th, 2007, 06:06 AM
*Sharon*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
There are certainly pluses and minuses to having a tv. If you can have limits that you feel you and the kids can met well--not go tv crazy (too often anyway) I would probably go for it. But if I felt it would become a struggle then I would not get one probably. We have one and I don't watch hardly any tv, but my kids would watch tv and movies more than I would like.

Sharon, wife to Noah; mom to Belle (12.5), Ryllan (10), Finn (6), and Zane (3).

July 5th, 2007, 07:12 AM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
We have a few TV's..lol.. well 3 that have cable and Declan has one that does not and will not for a LONG time. We have a fairly easy going way about TV.. Eric and I watch a lot downstairs in the family room after the kids are in bed..it's our together time.That TV is the only one with Digital cable and the DVR..I use it a lot for educational things..like just yesterday I DVR'd the entire "The Revolution" series which is all the events leading up to and including the revolutionary war..which was are about to study in depth! Noah has cable in his room and he only watches it before bed too. Declan rarely uses the one he got for his birthday from my MIL..same goes for the Vsmile he has.. they are something he will occasionally use but nothing too much. The TV in the upstairs living room is rarely on..but I don't actually say "You only get XX about of TV"..the general rul ei sno TV on during school time, none on when we can be outside or when we can do something else. This mean sit's rarely if ever on..it's dieing ( the sound is going and it emits a loud buzz when it's been on for more than a few minutes) and when it does we have no intention of replacing it.

Ok so I say get one..but just be smart about the use...we used to watch way more during the day than we do now..I love the lack of "noise" from not watching TV during the day!..plus it means when I NEED to get somethign done and switch it on they are enthralled because they rarely see it!
July 5th, 2007, 07:13 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We have always had a TV and the kids watch the few playhouse disney and nick jr shows. For the most part they are outside a lot, so I think that if my kids were the type to become zombies in front of the TV or didn't want to do anything else but watch TV, then I would have to do something about that. I have FIOS TV and it has TONS of neat channels. I switched from DirecTV and was shocked that there were that many different channels out there. I think you would have to know how your kids do and if they won't become zombies (or you for that matter ) then I don't see a problem with getting one. I don't know what I would do without Eathan's movie time. That is my peace and quiet since he won't nap. He watches a movie for an hour and then we are back at it.

July 5th, 2007, 07:14 AM
The Revolution series is one of my pros lol They have the first 12 episodes on iTunes, but they've never added the 13th! What good is it without the entire series?!?!

Smaller on the Outside

July 5th, 2007, 07:16 AM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
LOL.. I need to get a VCR so I can pop them on Tape.. I know I will want to keep them. I also have the 2 hour B. Franklin one that proceeded it.
July 5th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Platinum Supermommy
DH wouldn't be able to live without his tv...but we don't have cable in the traditional sense ( we have it so we can record shows, but can't watch it live on our tv) We mainly use netflix and get the videos we want in the mail- he also has this thing where he can record tv with his computer- windows media center? He records the shows he wants then we watch when we want to, so we're not addicted to the programming schedules.

July 5th, 2007, 09:04 AM
Mega Super Mommy
If it were up to me, I'd throw our TVs out the window! My kids don't watch much T.V. and I'm pretty choosy about what they do watch. Our T.V. was broken for a week and they didn't even notice. However, I can still see the effects of the shows they do watch. It seems all kids shows and movies are aimed at limiting children's attention spans (ADDtv I call it) No one knows how to tell a good story anymore! A plot? What's that? My husband is very addicted to T.V. even though there isn't anything good on. I hardly ever watch it at all and don't think I'd miss it one bit if were to suddenly disappear.
I think it's better not to have a T.V. at all. There's certainly no need for one and it sounds like you've been doing fine without it all this time.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
July 5th, 2007, 09:26 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
We've had no TV for over six years, and do not plan to get one.

We use Netflix to get a few movies a month... they have a really good selection of educational videos, documentaries, and classic movies. If you have a DVD drive on the computer you might consider that. It is a lot cheaper than cable.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

July 5th, 2007, 09:59 AM
We considered that, but I can't watch the computer monitor. It's different from how certain TV screens are and because of my pre-glaucoma symptoms computer monitors really mess with my eyes. Plus the computer monitor is tiny (we have an eMac for the kids and I have a MacBook laptop with really bad speakers).

That is, however, an option if we just buy a TV and don't get FiOSTV.

Smaller on the Outside

July 5th, 2007, 03:14 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am not botherd with TV/dvd watching so long as the shows are nice and they are not watching for hours on end like she would like to do when I buy a new dvd. If it's a new dvd movie then after one watch through I have to make her go and play as she loves to watch a new one about 12 times before she is satisfied. If they watched for hours and it effected there playing I would have a problem with it. The ABC (Australian Broadcasting) is the Gvt run channel and has a whole line up of pretty good preschool shows and cartoons in the morning followed by primary (elementary)school maths and science programes. (No adds!)If they want to watch later then I pop a dvd on. At this time of year when it is cold they tend to play inside then watch from about 8.00 till 9am. (In the summer they are normaly playing outside at 7.30) Then they play outside, have morning tea, do school then have lunch. Sometimes they watch part of a dvd after school and before lunch if we finished early. I do put a dvd on for Daniel during school although he mostly wants to sit at the table or be involved with what we are doing now. A challange some days!
After lunch is nap and quiet time. Sarah can play in her bedroom or out after lunch. If she wants to play on her computer she can then. Steve just dowloaded a game and put it on her computer were you have to tend a garden and sell the produce, so she has been playing that latly. I count computer time as screen time too.
After nap at about 2.30 they are mostly going outside, some days they watch a few afternoon ABC cartoons other days they watch nothing. In the evening they mostly play inside, some times sarah asks for a dvd. If she asks I generaly put it on unless she has watched a heap of afternoon tv and not played outside very long. Most days however I am having to prise my kids off the trampoline because it's getting dark and cold. After dinner Sarah plays inside really well, she seems to have her best creative play ideas at night.

Just adding that weekends are diffrent, the ABC does some kind of rock music and the other channels have the most annoying rubbishy cartoons which are full of kid advertising. if this was my only chooce then they would never watch tv only dvd's. One chanel has put Dora the Explorer on at 7am, but we enevitably forget to put it on in time and even that is full of adds. So it's only dvd's on the weekends.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
July 5th, 2007, 11:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
There are pros and cons to having and not having a tv. When I was younger for a time we didn't have a tv for an entire year. We seemed to be more tv aholics though. It really helped. We played more, read more, did school more. There was nothing else to do, but explore other ways to be entertained. I really enjoyed it actually. However, I also get a lot of educational things from tv. I watch a lot of the history channel and other educational programs. It is really nice. We also own a bunch of good family movies. I like those a lot more than tv watching. I will say that I myself have a few programs that I really like. I am quite nerdy and I like my Star Trek on occasion. I don't sit and watch tv in the day. DD watches a few cartoons in the morning and usually in the day she asks to watch a movie, I sometimes say yes and sometimes say no telling her we need to do something more productive. I agree that it becomes this tool to help with boredom and I don't like that. When I can tell my DD is bored and that is why she wants to watch tv, I try and find something fun and creative instead of using the tv. If I am really tired though I admit I am guilty of using it as a babysitter, but that isn't too often. I do like to own one to watch some of my favorite movies. So many of the really good shows have sparked my interest in other things so I feel that as long as the love of learning is still there, a little tv can help to spark the mind to learn more about something that was interesting from tools of tv. We actually have free cable where I live, but we have blocked half of the channels. I always want to know what my kids are watching. DD is only 3, but she knows she can't turn on the tv without me and she has to ask. If you set rules and limits it is really good. I am really grateful my Dh is not a tv person. The only reason he would care if it were gone would be for sports, but those aren't on that often. He never watches tv shows or flips through channels. On any boring day he doesn't touch the tv, wish it would spark him to read, but you know...

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

July 6th, 2007, 04:15 AM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I personally don't watch much during the day unless I'm interested in something on Food Network. My TV time is usually limited to nights when dh is working, then I watch my movies or series' on DVD. As far as the kids, I try to be conscious of how much TV they're watching. They tend to watch for about an hour in the mornings and then I make them turn it off and go play. Then I'll let them watch for about another hour in the afternoon when it's getting too hot (or rainy lately) to go outside. After that, it goes off again. They also like to play video games, but they have to have their room cleaned first, and they get 30 minutes game time each. That includes computer time. I just don't like them sitting around doing nothing all day. I want them to be able to use & develop their imaginations and not let the TV & video games do it for them. But, at the same time I don't see anything wrong with TV & games in moderation.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

July 6th, 2007, 04:57 AM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
I decided to respond before I read anyone else's comments, so as not to be influenced by other people's opinions! So, forgive me if I repeat what someone else says!

Here's our situation: we have T.V. and pay $13 a month for "basic cable", which gets us about 13 channels including the network channels, PBS, a few others that I can't really remember (Oh, TBS is one of them! Sometimes they play good movies on there on the weekends, and we get to watch America's Funniest Home Videos a lot, too!) and a ton of shopping networks. Mainly, we pay so that we have reception and don't have to mess with an antenna.

The "best" thing about this particular setup is that the T.V. stays off a whole lot because there isn't hardly anything worth watching (or even that we can watch) on the major networks. There aren't 5 different kids networks for Reilly and Declan to want to watch, only PBS, so I know what shows they are seeing when we do have it on. (Clifford, Dragon Tails, Arthur, Reading Rainbow, Between the Lions, etc.) However, I honestly still miss having "expanded cable" (which gave us 65 channels...not 300 like digital cable) because I miss The Discovery Channel, The Food Network, The Learning Channel and Animal Planet as much now as when we got rid of them 4 years ago! BUT, we watched a whole lot more T.V. then because there was ALWAYS something on to watch...so it's a toss up!

I think I'd probably say to go for it, honestly. I don't find anything wrong with relaxing in front of the T.V. for a little bit each day. If we had more channels to choose from, I'd probably just get TiVo so that I could record good shows for us and The Kids and keep the same kind of limited amount of watching. That way we wouldn't end up just sitting in front of the t.v., watching whatever happened to be on!

P.S. There are some good "summer shows" on the networks like "American Inventor" and "Does America Have Talent?" and "Last Comic Standing" (that one's not really for the kids, though!). Makes network T.V. more palatable!

ETA: (after I read the other responses! ) It would bother me to watch movies on a computer screen, even without pre-glaucoma symptoms! It just seems like it would be uncomfortable.

Also, we have Netflix and I love, love, love it! It's worth getting a t.v. just for that!

Oh, and what's FiOSTV?

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

July 6th, 2007, 05:11 AM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
65 channels! I don't think I could keep track of that many. I would like more choice then what we have with the free tv, but not that much choice. We have 3 commercial channels, 9,7 and 10. Then there is the Gvt ABC no adds channel which we all pay for in our tax, then there is SBS the foreign channel. Recently we got the Christian channel, which we just paid a one time thing for. We (our family) don't have paid tv apart from that.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
July 6th, 2007, 05:56 AM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We just downgraded our Direct TV to the very basic family package. I think we pay like $25/month? Not sure how many channels we get, but it's like the networks, the Disney's, Nick, a lot of shopping channels (yuck!), news channels, science channel, NASA, discovery kids, things like that. Oh, and Food Network & the Weather Channel. Dh couldn't live without the Weather Channel. The only channel I miss is Spike, but that's because I liked watching the CSI reruns. I'll just have to get them on DVD.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

July 6th, 2007, 06:36 AM
FiOS TV is Verizon's TV. We have FiOS (fiber optic) internet so it makes sense to get the FiOS TV if we get TV since it's already coming into the house and we'd get a bundle discount. It's like 200 channels! Crazy. We're still undecided, though school reasons really has me leaning toward getting it. Being able to record shows on the DVR (and so be able to skip commercials - I HATE commercials - and watch whenever we want) sounds really good. What we think we've decided for now is to save up for a TV and DVD player. We should be able to get it in August or September depending on the size we get and if it has a built-in DVD player or not. Once we have that we'll decide about the FiOS TV. We're still really not sure on that. But it's got all the Discovery/Educational channels (and then some!).

Smaller on the Outside

July 6th, 2007, 06:55 AM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
Quote:
65 channels! I don't think I could keep track of that many. I would like more choice then what we have with the free tv, but not that much choice. We have 3 commercial channels, 9,7 and 10. Then there is the Gvt ABC no adds channel which we all pay for in our tax, then there is SBS the foreign channel. Recently we got the Christian channel, which we just paid a one time thing for. We (our family) don't have paid tv apart from that.[/b]
Since many of the channels are sports channels and news channels and shopping channels it makes it easier to keep track of! The thing that would be hard for me would be the 200 channels!
Heather, it's for school-type reasons that I miss even the 65 channels. I know that there are some good things that I'm missing that The Kids would get a lot from.

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

July 6th, 2007, 06:58 AM
Here's FiOS TV - http://www22.verizon.com/Content/FiOSTV/ The channel line-up is on there. The MTV type channels and sports and junk like that we'd just ignore.

Smaller on the Outside

July 6th, 2007, 07:38 AM
grunig's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to grunig Send a message via Yahoo to grunig
We have the very basic Time Warner Cable with DVR on our computer. We run mythtv to run the dvr. Anyway we like having basic bc we tend to not watch it as much, bc as someone else said nothing worth watching is on. Our TV generally stays off until the evening. The kids are allowed about 30-60 minutes a day, and that is only so they can all squeeze in the show they like. My oldest loves "THe Backyardigans", and the youngest LOVES "Go Diego Go". My middle is a fan of both so isn't he the lucky duck. LOL Anyway I say get one but just limit yourself. I have Tim lock us out of ours for the day if I notice it is taking over the house. When we had regular DVR cable he would change the pin number, with our PC set up he just passwords protects it. Works great. LOL I have him do the same for my "boards" sometimes when I find myself getting sucked in. So if you see me disappeared for a while it is usually bc I have locked myself out of certain sites.

Mom to Talen, Trent, and Thorne

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search