Hello!!!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 6th, 2007, 12:24 PM
October 2012 DDC co-host
Hi! I'm new to this board....but not completely new to JM I am a SAHM of 5 (soon to be 6) and am experimenting with homeschooling this year with my pre schooler I was looking at the A beka curriculum, and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts and/or suggestions Are the "kits" useful? This is my first go at homeschool....and I am eager to start! Thanks so much!

July 6th, 2007, 03:02 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
welcome to the board.I am Jo from Australia and my kids are sarah 5 1/2 and Daniel 2 3/4.I have never used Abeka as work book type curriculums don't really appeal to me. Chelita does use them and will probably have some good advice on how she makes it work for her.I think my main advice with that kind of curriculum is make it work for you, not you working for the curriculum. So don't be afraid to skip, tweak or add. Also don't fret over days missed, life is more important then the curriculum. Preschool should be fun.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
July 6th, 2007, 04:12 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
Welcome, welcome!!! I am homeschooling my preschooler too! He will be 4 in September. Honestly, at this age, we just do Handwriting without tears and workbooks from like Wal-mart. We also have the leapfrog letter factory DVD and we work on letters and numbers a lot. We play a lot and paint a lot and that is what it is all about right now.

Come time for the next level (soon at this rate), we will go with Sonlight curriculum and math u see. Those have been my favs so far...but time will tell if they are Scotty's!

Glad to have you with us!
July 6th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hey there! I have used ABeka for preschool and we are now doing some kindergarten- I did not buy the whole kit, we used just the workbooks and I supplemented with other things we liked to do like play games and play with play dough, lacing cards, puzzles, reading books and the like. I really liked the workbooks and DS learns well that way. Be prepared though, DS did so much coloring to begin with that he really almost refuses to color stuff in now- ABeka stuff requires a lot of coloring at first. That was the only down side. But DS knew his colors and numbers down pat by the time he was done, so its a solid curriculum.

July 6th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi and ! I'm Tisha and I'm a first timer homeschooling pre K!! Eathan will be 4 in a few days. We just started playing and I printed worksheets off of the internet (there are TONS of free ones out there) and I bought a few workbooks, flash cards, etc. from the Dollar Tree (if you have a Dollar Tree near you, I would suggest looking at the Teachers Corner they have! It has a lot of different things and they are all $1!! Can't beat that! ) and we have a ball. We are also HUGE fans of The Letter Factory DVD from Leap Frog. Eathan knew all of his letters by sight and sound within a week and a half thanks a lot to that DVD. I'm taking it slow, so I just go at Eathan's pace and follow his cues on what he wants to learn. I haven't set a strict schecule either. That will come in time for us. When he knows his numbers 0-9 solid we are also going to use Math-U-See. I love the concept and hope it is a good fit with Eathan. I read to him too.

Anywho, get settled in here and ask LOTS of questions! These ladies are all very nice and full of information! Take a deep breath and have fun with it. For me that was the most important part! OH and you might want to look into the laws for your state regarding homeschooling. HSLDA Website

July 6th, 2007, 10:35 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hello! Glad you are here.

Abeka is good...IF....and I mean IF you make it fit you guys. Don't try to do it the way it says too. It is written for a classroom use. You would kill yourself and wig out your child if you schooled them like a ps'er.

I did the 3 year old preschool with Remy. I got the art book, the lettler book, and the number book. Here is my view of it.

Art:
It is fun and they have lots of things to do. But you can go to the library and look online for a art thing a day. Also...allow lots of free art time. Have supplies and a safe place for them to use them. Teach them to use them, clean them, and put them away. You don't need the 12 buck book from abeka. Save that money and spend it on supplies. It is cute and fun though.

Letter book:
Okay, so this book has a letter a day on it. They trace the Aa or whatever. Sometimes they glue things on the letters or they paint them. You could so do this yourself. There are tons of books at the library on this one too. In preschool you aren't teaching them to write. You are allowing them to get familiar with the shape of the letters. And you want to say the letter, talk about the big one and the little one, and say the sound they say. Just doing this one letter a day is okay. And you will be surprised with what they know.

Number book:
Same thing...say we were learning number 5....we would glue 5 beans down or color 5 bugs. We would count 5 things...etc. You don't need the book for this. I believe the numbers go up to 15. You can do this on your own.

We also added in lots of songs with hand motions and he sat in my lap while Eli or I read. He did get involved with Eli's sience and history as he wanted.

Please remember that he should be allowed to do this when he wants. Make it available and if he asks to do it then do it.

HAVE FUN! And please hang out here and read some homeschooling books. You want to try and do homeschool more then school. If that makes sense.

Abeka is a great program...you just don't want to do the busy work or beat a concept to death. The preschool is great...but from 1st and on you will see what I am talking about.

July 7th, 2007, 05:16 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Welcome! I am Heather and I have three kids. Ani is 7 1/2, Cameron is 5 3/4, and Fritz will be a year on Wednesday. We use Sonlight mainly and then some other stuff we like. When I was homeschooled my parents used A Beka for math and I HATED it. Some people love it, though.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

July 7th, 2007, 07:37 AM
Mega Super Mommy
No advice on ABeka, sorry. But wanted to say Hi and welcome to the board. Are you considering bringing the rest of them home eventually or are you just planning on doing preschool? Congrats on #6 btw!

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search