What made you decide to homeschool??

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 7th, 2007, 07:38 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
Do your kids ever ask if they can go to a regular school instead?

July 7th, 2007, 07:50 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
We homeschool because I was homeschooled and loved it so much. Ani asked to go to school when her friend was tested for autism and Ani thought the testing sounded really nifty. She also liked the idea of lunch and recess and riding a school bus. When we explained that school is about a lot more than tests and lunch and recess and the school bus she decided it was not such a great idea. She was especially horrified at the thought of only being able to get a drink or go to the bathroom or eat when the class goes together at certain times. Plus the whole 6 1/2 hour school day seemed a bit much to her. Cameron's opinion of going to public school is very low and he has never asked to go.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

July 7th, 2007, 07:56 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
Quote:
We homeschool because I was homeschooled and loved it so much. Ani asked to go to school when her friend was tested for autism and Ani thought the testing sounded really nifty. She also liked the idea of lunch and recess and riding a school bus. When we explained that school is about a lot more than tests and lunch and recess and the school bus she decided it was not such a great idea. She was especially horrified at the thought of only being able to get a drink or go to the bathroom or eat when the class goes together at certain times. Plus the whole 6 1/2 hour school day seemed a bit much to her. Cameron's opinion of going to public school is very low and he has never asked to go.[/b]
When we first had kids, we lived in ND, on the air force base I had heard about the schools and about how they taught reading and such and I was against that so I had planned to homeschool then. THEN we moved here and the church we went to had a christian school so we decided the kids would go there. THEN we ended up finding we were not happy with the church, and the price for the school was going up and up and up so we found a charter school that both kids were accepted into so thats where we are now.

My 5 year old will have to do kindie first, but I didn't wanna put him into a public kindie, and I didn't wanna pay for a private, so I figured we would homeschool for kindie since the charter school doesn't have kindie.

I always hear of people saying they will try it and then end up doing it for all their kids. We will see. I don't know if I will be one of those. ha ha ha. My kids seem to love the charter school, and I have been very happy with it and their what they have learned and their way of teaching, but everyday I drop them off at school it tugs at my heart in a way like I don't wanna leave them.

July 7th, 2007, 08:23 AM
Platinum Supermommy
There are SO many reasons I want to homeschool! DH and I knew before we had kids that we were going to homeschool. Neither one of us were homeschooled, so that was funny to me we were so set on it. Dh did go to private school from 6th on, but I am public school kid all the way through. I just love everything about homeschooling and know it is right for our family. Besides public schools are getting worse and worse and I can't imagine how much worse they are now from when I was in there. I totally disagree with the No child left behind policy and letting these children that need special attention fall through the cracks. I refuse put my children in such a messed up system. Private schools around here are SO expensive and a lot of them aren't even accredited, so I would be paying someone who isn't necessarily a ceritified teacher to teach my child. That just didn't make any sense to me, what makes them any better than DH and I? Ok I'm going to stop now b/c I can feel this getting longer and longer.

July 7th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm one of those who said I was just going to homeschool my oldest for a little while (I'll explain in a minute) and put the other 2 in school and ended up homeschooling all of them.

There are a few reasons we decided to homeschool our oldest. He was in public for Kindergarten and most of 1st. I started feeling uneasy about the school when he was in K because it seemed like the teachers & staff went to so much trouble to EX-clude parents from everything. Several field trip notices were sent home with an attached note saying things like: leave other children at home, or no parents are needed, or child MUST ride school bus with class. Well, that would just set me off anyway because I'm not one to sit idly by while someone tells me what I can or can't do concerning my own kids. We managed to get through that year and he started 1st. A couple months into 1st, I could see that it was going to be even worse than in K (as far as parents being excluded). Then Jack started struggling in math and his teacher requested we put him in after school tutoring. I just couldn't believe he could be failing math in 1st grade! (He just couldn't understand her way of teaching, I think because now he's acing math!) Well, that started us thinking about homeschool. The idea wasn't totally foreign to us because my sister has been homeschooling her kids for years. Well, in November of his 1st grade year (just before Thanksgiving) Jack was diagnosed with Juvenile Diabetes. We trudged through the school year until April trying to get the staff (particularly the nurse) to cooperate with his schedule & care. It wasn't going too well since the nurse wouldn't follow my instructions. We finally decided that we just couldn't put his life in their hands any more, so we pulled him out in April of his 1st grade year. Last year was our 1st official year homeschooling and it was so great that we decided to homeschool them all.

As far as them asking to go to school, Jack begs us NOT to send him back. Jared used to ask once in a while until he found out that he would be gone most of the day every day. He likes to stay pretty close to home. Justin never asks. In fact, anytime I say something about getting ready to start school, he says "homeschool?". When I say yes, he just grins real big and says that he likes homeschool.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

July 7th, 2007, 02:50 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When Sarah was 4 she sometimes asked about school, I just told her some kids do away school and some kids do homeschool and that she would be doing homeschool just like Gracie at our church does. I made sure she had a nice back pack like other kids and she had some bus rides and she has always been fine with it.

Lol ok I got confused over what I was answering I forgot the title was why we started homeschooling.
I decided to homeschool over 15 years ago. I knew a few people who homeschooled and saw how great it was and decided thats if/when I had kids that that is what I would do. I have never changed my mind.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
July 7th, 2007, 08:45 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
Well, my oldest in in public school - starting 3rd grade next year. He is gifted with ADHD and the struggles with ps have been TREMENDOUS! Unfortunately, I am divorced from his dad (well, that is not the unfortunate part) and our divorce papers say that big decisions will be made by both parents regarding education (that is the unfortunate part). His dad refuses to allow me to homeschool at this time. I work with Bryce in the summers, but he is already so ahead in academics, really the best I can do is guide him and let him flourish. The time will come that his dad and I will have a good war over it. At the latest, when he enters middle school. My ex says Private school, but what he doesn't get is that private and public schools do so little for gifted kids like Bryce!

The choice was simple with Scotty. My dh and I agreed based on our religious values (ex is an athiest), our common dislike for the ps system, and Scotty's personality that homeschooling made the most sense. We are excited to have this chance and dh is 100% supportive!

We may TTC #3 early next year and if/when he/she will be homeschooled from birth up!
July 8th, 2007, 05:17 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Rebecca, I so understand your position...but gosh...why is it that if the dad's don't want this to happen then it doesn't? How come the big decision is in his favor and not yours? That isn't coming to a decison. That means he gets to say no and you have to like it. That just always gets me. Men always get their way. *sigh*

We decided to homeschool at first because I could never let Eli go! I just yummy him so much!

As time went on...Eli was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and we knew that homeschooling was even more of a blessing when it came to his blood sugars and his studies.

And now! Gosh my reasons are so darn BIG now. My husband and I just can't be a part of a system we don't believe in and has really been detrimental to society. We see it everyday...

We want to have a strong family base that allows our kids to become who they are safely. We want to KNOW them! We also want the kids to know us. Being with them and exploring the world with them is important. Values and a love of all people is important. We don't want the kids in that strange fake society that ps seems to be all about. We want them in the real world.

Eli has never wanted to go to ps. But Remy has questions about ps. He also wants to see what it is all about and is just very curious.

July 9th, 2007, 01:31 PM
grunig's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to grunig Send a message via Yahoo to grunig

Quote:
And now! Gosh my reasons are so darn BIG now. My husband and I just can't be a part of a system we don't believe in and has really been detrimental to society. We see it everyday...

We want to have a strong family base that allows our kids to become who they are safely. We want to KNOW them! We also want the kids to know us. Being with them and exploring the world with them is important. Values and a love of all people is important. We don't want the kids in that strange fake society that ps seems to be all about. We want them in the real world. [/b]

Totally how I feel. At first not so much though. In our house it was DH who came to me when I was in my first trimester with Talen and said, "We're going to h/s.". Of course my response was "Are you nuts?????". He just asked me to do a little research and see what I thought. I did and decided to at least give it a try. Well my oldest is 5.5 and still hasn't seen the inside of a classroom, and won't until he can take a class or two at community college if I can help it.

He has asked about public school but I always remind how miserable he is sitting at the table in SS, or at VBS. That is all I have to say and he always decides he is glad to be home where he can play, potty, and eat whenever he needs to.

Mom to Talen, Trent, and Thorne

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search