Do you use a curriculum that tells you what to do step by step or did you make up your own??

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 7th, 2007, 07:40 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
I have heard of people doing both. I am afraid if I did my own I would mess up bad. LOL

Right now I am looking at just ACE for Kindie for my 5 year old. My older 2 go to a charter school. So my plan is to do kindie with him and thats it. We shall see.

July 7th, 2007, 07:48 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I've done both. Currently we use Sonlight and that is very flexible. I add our own stuff for electives and things.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

July 7th, 2007, 08:11 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We are only doing PreK right now and I've put together a little of this and a little of that. I'm sure when he gets into the older grades we will use something with a teachers guide to point me into a direction. I'm just doing the basics now and it is working out with me throwing stuff together.

July 7th, 2007, 08:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think Sonlight was just the right amount of direction for me, while still allowing room to add in my own stuff. It was more of a jumping off point, but on the days that I was feeling a bit lazy or overwhemled I could just rely on the schedule itself. I guess I could do it from scratch (and I might have to this year) but then I would probably have to sit down and design an entire year's schedule for myself ahead of time so I wouldn't be trying to piece it together as the weeks went by- that would be too stressful for me.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
July 7th, 2007, 11:46 AM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Kind of both. For the basics like language arts (handwriting, spelling, phonics, grammar) & math I have books that we pretty much just go through a lesson at a time. For all the other stuff (science, history, crafts, Bible, reading, etc.) I'm using KONOS which is basically a compilation of ideas set into units based on character traits. For example, right now we're doing the boats/ships/floating unit in the TRUST character trait. For Bible, we focus on scripture based on trusting God in all circumstances; reading, we're reading 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea aloud together; science, we are focusing on the how & why of things floating; history, we'll be touching on the different kinds of boats throughout time, the Titanic, and different people who were influencial in this subject; arts & crafts, we'll be putting together a wooden pirate ship & painting it, as well as other little things here & there. We'll also be learning the different parts of boats/ships and boating terms. I guess that would be vocabulary? Later on as our wrap-up activity, we'll be taking a trip to visit the Battleship Texas. I think we may even go ride paddle boats one day.

This is our first unit, and I'm not sure if I'm doing it "right", but we're having fun and the boys are learning so I'm happy with it. I like that I have a basic guideline to look at, but can do my own thing.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

July 7th, 2007, 11:56 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
We've done our own thing, although I really like the syllabi for Mother of Divine Grace school. Even that I plan on tweaking to unschool some subjects and use more Montessori and Charlotte Mason approach for others.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

July 7th, 2007, 03:37 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I do both, but lean more towards doing my own thing. For Kindy it is especially easy to do your own thing. Our math programe is Math-U-See which I do use step by step but we also do other things for maths such as games. We are presently making a shop so some days we will play shops for maths. For phonics we use Alphabet Island Phonics but again we do our own thing as well, using leap pad dvd's, Study dog, games like scrabble Junior etc. If we only did MUS and AIP every day my daughter would hate school. She is an active hands on kid and doing only workbooks would drive us both insane!

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
July 7th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Make it my own.
Your family is absolutely beautiful.
July 7th, 2007, 08:10 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
Right now, a hodge podge of my own ideas. Soon, and I mean VERY soon, we will begin the Sonlight Pre-k program with K readers. I will, however, replace their math with Math-u-see primer and use handwriting without tears which I think they recommend.
July 8th, 2007, 05:40 AM
Sonlight doesn't actually have a math. They have, I think, three choices (they also have three handwriting choices and HWT is one of them - but, just a heads up, they sell it for MUCH more than it costs directly from HWT). We use MUS. Sonlight doesn't schedule the math, they just sell the programs. I think they sell Horizons, Singapore, and Miquon.

Did you know Sonlight is considering coming out with a pre-pre-k level to be called Core A? It would be for like 2-4 year olds and all for lots of toddler fun, not so much education. I'm hoping they get it out within a couple years.

Smaller on the Outside

July 8th, 2007, 07:06 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
Quote:
Make it my own.
Your family is absolutely beautiful.[/b]
Aw thank you!

Reading this thread is kinda making me scared like I don't even know which way to go now! I don't wanna mess my kid up! lOL

July 8th, 2007, 02:36 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Lol sorry we weren’t trying to scare you! What we are saying is you wont mess up whichever way you go! If you buy something that doesn't click then just sell it and try something else.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
July 8th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Exactly! I think any parent who is concerned about messing up their kid is not going to mess them up because they will make sure they don't.

Smaller on the Outside

July 9th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Platinum Supermommy

July 9th, 2007, 01:19 PM
grunig's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to grunig Send a message via Yahoo to grunig
We use Handwriting w/o Tears, and Math U See, but I only do what I Feel is necessary in both. I try to follow "The Well Trained Mind" approach to education.

Mom to Talen, Trent, and Thorne

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search