Do you do schooling at regular hours?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 7th, 2007, 07:44 AM
drewbears's Avatar Mom to 8 AWESOME kids!
Send a message via AIM to drewbears Send a message via MSN to drewbears Send a message via Yahoo to drewbears
Do you have a set schedual and such??

Do the kids have to get up and get dressed as though they were leaving to go to school?

July 7th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Depends on our mood. Lately we've been getting up at 7:30 to read scriptures before Jamie goes to work and then we do Children's Miracle Music. That includes getting dressed and everything. We do school as soon as Miracle Music is over so that's usually about 8:45 or so depending on when we finished our scripture reading and if we ate breakfast during the "8 short songs" or took longer (and paused the music) or whatever. If something comes up we are very flexible though.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

July 7th, 2007, 08:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My schooler is only 4, so I haven't set a schedule so much yet. I think that will come in time and Eathan doesn't do so well with strict schedules. We're pretty flexible around here.

July 7th, 2007, 08:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Definitely! I need a schedule to keep track of everything we need to get done. Not that I have to follow it to the letter or anything, but I need it as a guide. If the kids were younger or there were less of them, I might not feel the need for it so much, but if I tried to get by without one now I'd probably have some sort of breakdown.

When we first started, my kids would get up and dressed and actually leave the house, ride around the block on their bikes, and then come back like they were arriving at school. They needed to do that in the very beginning because they were so used to "going to school." But they got over that. I still expected them to get dressed every morning and make their beds, brush their teeth, etc.. before starting school.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
July 7th, 2007, 08:27 AM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
Depends... right nwo we ar ein summer mode..so we are only doing a few "school" things.. Noah does math everyday and reading and guitar.Right now he has to be up and dressed by 10..normally it's 8am.
July 7th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We're pretty flexible. I do like them to get dressed & brush their teeth as soon as they're done with breakfast, but that's reguardless of school. On days that we have school, we have certain things that we do together first, then Jack sits down to do his seat work (with me available for help) while Jared & Justin watch their Letter/Word Factory DVD (depends on which one they want to watch). When that's over, Jack is usually at a point in his work that I don't need to be right there helping, so I begin phonics with the little ones. They only have phonics & math, so it doesn't take long. I just kind of go back & forth between them all until all the seat work is done. Then we have lunch. After lunch I let them play outside for about an hour to run off some of their pent-up energy, which my kids seem to have an abundance of. After that it's time to come in and that's when we start our KONOS stuff together. Now, having said all that, if something comes up I don't sweat it. I'll just let it roll over to the next day. Since we've decided to school year round, it doesn't seem to be such a big deal to make sure we get "x" amount of work done TODAY. We can relax with it. KWIM?
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

July 7th, 2007, 12:00 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
So far all the kids do their best work in the morning, so they start lessons after breakfast and are usually done within an hour or two.

Robert: 19 Raechel: 18 Daniel: 15 Joseph: 13 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 7 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 18 months!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w); Francis (7-4-12 @12w); Charlie (1-19-15 @ 6w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

July 7th, 2007, 03:21 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have from 10am till lunch time for doing school. Some days that might only be 45 minutes, other days especially if we are doing craft and it has gone 12, I am having to say time to finish up because I need lunch! My daughter is only 5 1/2 though so that is plenty enough time for Kindergarten.

I try and have my kids dressed sometime between 8 and 9am now that it's winter. (yer it's winter over here )
In the summer they tend to be dressed and playing outside from about 7.30. But it's not like they were going to school, lol they generally look like ragamuffins as all there play clothes seem to have paint and mud stains on them. If my daughter went to school it would be the local Christian school and she would be wearing a uniform which I would make sure was clean and ironed lol. I am rather OCD about my kids 'going out' clothes!

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
July 7th, 2007, 05:15 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
LOL - Kinda. When my oldest starts school in the fall *divorce - I can't homeschool him YET,* we may have more of a schedule. Right now, we do school when Scotty and I want to do school. He is only 4, so we are not horribly structured. But honestly, I prefer "unschooling" - not total unschooling but for the most part - laid back, at his pace, not stressed or strict learning. If I were to sit him in this school room I made (for me, mostly) for 4 hours a day and do worksheets, I may as well send him to school IMO. I want him to enjoy the heck out of learning.
July 8th, 2007, 09:29 AM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We don't have set hours or times. We are very flexible and tend to go around Eli's meal times and shots. We also do year round schooling and that makes it really flexible.

As for getting dressed...Eli seems to be dressed most days without me realizing it. Remy loves to get dressed a few times a day in clothes that do not match. It drives me nutso!

July 9th, 2007, 01:21 PM
grunig's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to grunig Send a message via Yahoo to grunig
We just try to start by 9:30 and are done whenever we are done. Could work until lunch and finish it all, or break after an hour and not get back to it until the evening.

Mom to Talen, Trent, and Thorne

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search