I'm going to have an aneurism, I swear!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 8th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Konos is driving me crazy! I love the concept of it, but I just can't seem to get the hang of it. I feel like I'm floundering EVERY SINGLE day with this. I just don't feel like I'm able to present the lessons well and all my kids are interested in doing is projects. They could care less about the lesson I'm trying to teach them. The whole time they're just rolling around or being otherwise distracted. I find myself gripping at them to pay attention. Then all the want to do is ask (a million times!) when we're doing our craft. Yeah, I know this sounds more like a discipline problem. But they listen and follow the lessons when they're doing their other work very well. They're just bored with this, I think. I seriously don't think this is going to work for us. Which makes me sad because I wanted it to. I'm considering selling all my Konos stuff and going back to My Father's World. We liked it, I just thought I'd try something more hands-on. I think I really need something more guided like MFW.
The boys have enjoyed what we've done with Konos so far, and they are learning something. I just feel like my head is just barely above water trying to make it work. We haven't even completed one unit yet. **sigh**
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

July 8th, 2007, 04:46 PM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
I have a friend who uses Konos and she has the same issues and is thinking of ditching it this year.
July 8th, 2007, 05:31 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ugh...nothing is worse then having something you LOVE not work for your kids. URGH! Sorry...

July 8th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Awww that does stink that you love it so much and it isn't a good fit for the kiddos. I guess the good think about HS is you can always introduce it later to see if it works then.

July 8th, 2007, 06:36 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Could you teach the concepts the lesson wants with a read aloud? What is it on?

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
July 8th, 2007, 07:52 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Are they really not listening or does it just feel like they aren't to you? Sometimes I'm sure my kids aren't listening but they are. Did you join the KONOS e-mail list? They'd probably have ideas for you. Maybe you just need some tweaking to get it right for your kids. There is a definite learning curve with KONOS, particularly if you start with the regular volumes rather than a bag or box (which have a LOT more hand-holding!).

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

July 8th, 2007, 09:22 PM
We definitely have our read alouds. Right now we're reading 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. They love it! The part that seems to be the worst is I'm so unsure of myself and what I'm doing as far as actually teaching the lesson. I have Volume 1 and even with all the suggestions/ideas, I'm still pretty clueless as to how to pull it all together smoothly. I don't know, maybe it's a confidence thing. I am on the email group and I've asked questions before. They do try to be helpful, but most of what I get is "Just jump in where you are. It'll all come together." I even got a pretty rude comment from Wade Hulcy himself once. I had mentioned that the read aloud suggested for the horse unit seemed to be over my kids heads and that they seemed to be bored with it. He basically told me that they needed an attitude adjustment. And that's putting it nicely. Since then I don't really ask questions for fear of what he would have to say. Right now, I'm thinking that I need more guidance and structure as with MFW, at least until I have more experience under my belt.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...

July 8th, 2007, 10:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Well you could always ask us for ideas
If you are more comfortable with MFW or weaver go ahead with it- sounds like you're pretty frustrated with Konos at this point.

July 9th, 2007, 04:46 AM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
yes tell us what the lessons are on and maybe we will come up with something.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
July 9th, 2007, 05:31 AM
Oh, wow. That's way not cool that Wade was rude. Oddly enough the only hsing curriculum selling person I've ever encountered that was rude to me was a KONOS lady at the CHAP convention. Several people were talking and Jesus Christ Superstar (the musical) came up and I said that it was Ani's favorite movie. Of course I know it's not scriptural and all that and I am certain there was no singing like that at the Last Supper... the play was written by a Jew after all and Webber's purpose was to delve into the mind of someone fascinating whom we know little about his mind - Judas. The whole why would he betray his close friend thing. Anyway, the consultant seller lady got obnoxious and refused to talk to me or even look at me after that and I could hear her husband trying to convince her that there was nothing wrong with viewing movies like that and not everyone was as Christian as she was, etc. Oh, goodness, what would she have said if she learned that we are Mormon! She probably wouldn't have sold me the stuff given the way she acted over a musical. Anyway, tangent there.

I honestly could not understand how to get the volumes to work as a real curriculum. I read the Compass and I still wasn't sure. I found Africa to be easy due to the hand-holding in the book. I sold the first volume. I'm sure if I had worked more at it we could have made it work, but that just wasn't happening and I wasn't willing or able to give it the time to iron out the kinks. I often did feel, however, that I didn't need the KONOS volume to make up my own plans and ideas. I never could have done Africa like it was since the ideas were totally written out. I just felt like the tiny little bits of ideas with no direction in the volume wasn't much to jump off from. I felt unsure like you do. I do think kids sense the unsureness and don't take you seriously when you feel that way (at least mine do!).

Smaller on the Outside

July 9th, 2007, 06:14 AM
~hsingtreehouse~
I think I would sell the KONOS for 2 reasons - 1. it isn't working for your family, and 2. the what creator?? was rude to you. Ummm...no. That wouldn't fly with me at all!
July 9th, 2007, 07:09 AM
Quote:
I honestly could not understand how to get the volumes to work as a real curriculum. I read the Compass and I still wasn't sure. I found Africa to be easy due to the hand-holding in the book. I sold the first volume. I'm sure if I had worked more at it we could have made it work, but that just wasn't happening and I wasn't willing or able to give it the time to iron out the kinks. I often did feel, however, that I didn't need the KONOS volume to make up my own plans and ideas. I never could have done Africa like it was since the ideas were totally written out. I just felt like the tiny little bits of ideas with no direction in the volume wasn't much to jump off from. I felt unsure like you do. I do think kids sense the unsureness and don't take you seriously when you feel that way (at least mine do!).[/b]
Exactly!!

I think "sucessful" Konos'ers seem to look down on those of us who can't make it work. I just went through the old emails and I found Wade's reply to me:
Quote:
Give the kids more help. Make things easier if need be and read Billy and
Blaze books instead of King of the Wind perhaps. (I must tell you that
Jessica could read King of the Wind to Your Kids and have them sitting on
the edge of their seats because she uses voices and puts so much into it.
[This really struck a bad chord with me. I do voices and put all I have into reading to the kids. Normally they LOVE anything I read to them and beg for more. They just didn't like this book!]
If you are doing this, then the selection must be too advanced for them. If
not, put all you have into your reading and your teaching.)

There is one word that has come through loud and clear in your email. Hate
to say this but the word

WHINE

stands out in your post. At the Hulcys, any whining would draw a quick look,
or knuckles to the top of the head followed by the admonition to stop
whining and put on a happy face. Hard to rub one's head and smile at the
same time so whining becomes a thing of the past!

Another way to get the point across is to warn the disinterested child that
he will be sent away to the other room if he persists, then actually do it.
Be loud and laugh a lot and have fun doing the activity with the other
children. The downer kid will soon be begging for a second chance!!

Well, there you have Educational Psychology 101 (From East Texas State
University - 1969 under Dr. Mulcahey). I knew I was going to get to use
that stuff some day!!

Mr. Meanie [This is what he calls himself. He's rude to EVERYONE.]

One more: put those stick horses on their bikes and trikes and ride through
the "Horse Obstacle Course" out on the driveway. [We were having a hard time making the craft work right.] If they don’t like this activity, you will need to serious adjusting of attitudes for the kids in
your family. (Who doesn't like to ride bikes through obstacles with Mom
watching?)[/b]
It may not sound rude to some people, but it just didn't set well with me. I felt like instead of trying to help, he was critcizing me for not being able to make things flow perfectly like Jessica.

I talked with dh about it last night and I think we've agreed to sell it and go back to MFW. I felt confident with that and if something seems a bit too boring or lacking somewhere, I can try adding to it. I can come up with ideas and activities with no problems. I enjoy that part. It's the actual presentation of a lesson that makes me stumble because there's no direction.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...

July 9th, 2007, 08:09 AM
Wow, that IS majorly rude! Not that he'd really care but I just might send him a letter letting him know that when you reached out for help he stomped all over you and helped to make your decision to quite using KONOS and sell it. I'd be really irritated with the part where he assumes that if his wife were the reader your children would love every second. And cracking a kid over the head because they whined? I hate whining as must as everyone else (I tell my kids I don't speak "Whinese" and to rephrase what they said in a language I can understand), but to hit a kid for it? Yeah, that'll make them listen during read aloud time. That message was so condescending!

Smaller on the Outside

July 9th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Platinum Supermommy
OH MY!! What an email!!!!! I definitely WON'T EVER buy Konos!! I will not support someone like that!! I can't believe how rude and condescending!! How dare him tell you that you were reading the story wrong and someone else reads it better!! Who the heck does he think he is? This got me fired up and it wasn't even sent to me!! I can't believe the nerve of some people!! I would definitely send a letter to them telling them I was selling their product would never buy it again and tell them they are rude and judgmental and condescending and do I need to go on? That just set me off and he refers to himself as Mr Meanie?? I'm definitely sold OFF of Konos. How sad!

July 9th, 2007, 02:49 PM
That's mild compared to what he's said to some ladies. He's just rude & condecending to anyone who doesn't do things the way they do. I rarely read the emails anymore (unless something really stands out) because I get tired of it.

I've been thinking about the whole curriculum situation all day, and I'm getting ready to list all my stuff on homeschool classifieds. It just gives me a headache thinking about continuing with Konos.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...

July 9th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yeah, it doesn't sound like it's worth the headache to me. Hopefully you can find something else quickly and it will work for you guys. I haven't had much experience, but I've been driving myself crazy trying to please my fickle child. One day he wants letters and then won't want to learn about them for a week. Then he wants to do letters for a week straight. Oh I'm going to have so much fun with him.

July 9th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Yeah, I need to pay bills and then crunch some numbers to see when I'll be able to start ordering new stuff. Hey, at least I'll have another reason to wait for the box man.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...

July 9th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
OH, YAY!!! The box man!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search