The spark is lit!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 9th, 2007, 12:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
The letter factory DVD's have sparked the interest with DD. All day LONG she asks me "Mommy, what does plate start with? What about baby Lindsey's name? What does cup start with, table, sky, etc. etc." I love it and I don't mean that I am complaining, but you know how kids are when they get repetitious. That is my Emily lately. She gets them all right by the way when I ask her to say it with the sound of the first letter. She is having trouble with the "ch" and "sh" sounds since she asked what "shoe" started with. Has anyone done the harder phonics DVD's? I am thinking she has been watching these for weeks now and has them down. Maybe she would be ready for the next one. And she also loves the humor and laughs every time the 'H' isn't an H, but a "blurster".

We also signed up for our libraries reading program. For her age the requirement is 3 hours a week. Well, we do that so easy so this is not a problem. She just likes the free stuff and doesn't know it has anything to do with her reading anything. lol

We are still not getting around the inlaws- Dh's family- and their anti-homeschool ideas. After the hs convention Dh and I thought maybe his mom might want to hear about it. No, she didn't. Every time we asked she interrupted us and changed the subject. Then she said the other day "If only you lived closer I would pay for Emily to go to preschool with her cousin Kara". I told her- which I have already said- that even if we did live close, she is not going to preschool. She got mad. She said "I don't understand why you wouldn't want her to have friends. They just have story time and art time and play time, etc. It is so much fun, they have goals. They teach the kids." Grrr... I am sure this stemmed from me telling my SIL that I didn't plan on Emily attending preschool in the first place and she got irritated and changed the subject. In so many ways I am so glad I live farther away than they do. I LOVE them I really do, but I get so sick of being undermined with my discipline and being criticized for our choices. They don't really want to listen to our reasons, only bully me for making the decisions. My family is non existent as far as being there and being supportive since the break up of the family and the divorce. So I lost my family and I gained his, they care, but they smother. I can't seem to find middle ground I guess. I am just to the point of what you all have said. I just say "This is what is right for our family". Not that they listen or respect this answer, but they don't listen to anything else either. Anyway, sorry to vent, just had to.

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

July 9th, 2007, 04:37 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Yay Emily! That is so great! Cameron watched the Word Factor DVD twice now (he, by his own choice, wants to watch the Letter Factory one more to get the letters down) and now he's sounding out words MUCH easier than before. When I introduced P last week he already knew the sound because of Letter Factory. I think I'll have to wax poetic about those DVDs on my blog

As for the family, I'm sorry. That is so rough, especially given your family having imploded. My aunt is always telling me I should send the kids to school because of all the fun stuff my nieces do at school. Well, the thing is the fun stuff isn't even part of school. It's part of after school daycare that they so delicately term "Kids' Club." My kids wouldn't be at something like that because I don't work. My kids would come home after school ended rather than stick around for 3 hours. My aunt also thinks my kids won't have friends since they are homeschooled. I think she is relieved they go to gymnastics so they can have friends. I don't get that. I had friends!

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

July 9th, 2007, 05:07 AM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
Ugh! That is so frustrating about your inlaw's, especially since, from what it sounds like, they are your only family. It's frustrating to have your joy over things like the convention and her interest in letters squelched because they won't share in it.

My mom was a bit sceptical about homeschooling before we started. She honestly thought that public school was good enough for me and I did fine and wondered why it wasn't good enough for our kids. (No matter that school's a WHOLE different animal from what it was 25 years ago!) I think that she thought that we'd cave and send them off to school when the time came. What really made her come around was seeing how great Reilly has done since we started. Maybe once your hubby's family sees how well she does, they'll change their tune. (Although I guess that's kind of hard when they won't even talk about it!)

Now my problem is that I don't feel like I can make any complaints or vent to my mom about school stuff because then she's likely to make a little comment that I THINK she thinks is making me feel better...but it doesn't. The comments are along the lines of "Well, this is what you chose!"

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

July 9th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Yay for Emily!!!! I SOOOOOO LOVE those DVDs!!! I have been looking into a lot of other LeapFrog stuff b/c Eathan is really sparked by their stuff!! I'm so thankful for those DVDs. They have helped Eathan a WHOLE lot!!

((Hugs))) I'm so sorry about the in law situation! I have to say that I know how you feel. I have smothering in laws and as much as I love them they drive me insane!! I don't keep a spotless house and that drives MIL crazy. I have kids I'm not going behind them every 2 secs and putting the stuff away, so the whole homeschool thing just really irritates them even more. Maybe once they see Emily's quality of life and how much she is learning they will keep their mouths shut! I'm pretty straight forward (too much sometimes) so my in laws don't comment very much and I try not to rub in their face how much Eathan is learning. Of course she has made the comment to me that it is b/c Eathan is so smart and has nothing to do with the teacher! YES she said that!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search