Soon to be here!!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 13th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Story's Avatar French Canadian
Hi everyone!

I'm about to start kindergarten with Mačva in about 3 weeks (she will be 4!) and I was wondering what can I do to begin? ...
I have kindergarten copybooks, I'm not sure that Mačva is ready to use them.

How did you start?
What did you teach at first?

thanks!

Mom to Mačva (11), Nadjat (9) and Klaus (5)

July 13th, 2007, 09:17 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany

I know you from the SAHM board! I haven't got much time right now and you're going to find these ladies are full of tips. I just wanted to say hi.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

July 13th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Welcome, welcome welcome!!
I'm a newer homeschooler, so I have limited advice but...
We started with games like candyland, chutes and ladders, bingo, etc. DS also has a ton of computer games and sites he loves to play- all educational but he doesn't know it! The very first things we learned were colors and shapes, numbers and letters and we read ALOT! We talk and take walks and discuss things as they come up but we also used some books by ABeka that have been very good for him; but he's a work book type of kid and enjoys doing pages; Maeva may not.

July 13th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Platinum Supermommy

I'm Tisha. My Eathan will be 4 in a few days and we started our official "schooling" a few months ago. I started with the alphabet and phonics and numbers. I read to him and we play lots of games and do little projects.

Glad you came over and posted!! Enjoy it and ask away!! These ladies are SUPER helpful!

July 13th, 2007, 01:27 PM
thanks ladies!
When you talk about games, you mean which ones?

jhmomofmany, glad to see you too!

July 13th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
All sorts of games, concentration, card games like slap jack, crazy eights, they have games like junior monopoly, boggle jr. and tons of bingo games....oh what else...connect four, puzzles, and for computer games, we love reader rabbit and study dog (which is free to download by the way), tic tac toe, candyland, scrabble junior....just go to the game section at the store and look for games for 3-6 for 4-8 years old and you've got it made!

July 13th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Platinum Supermommy

We also do a lot of matching games and flash card games. I really try to make everything into a game at this age. We have the LeapFrog Fridge Magnets and I sat in the living room and held the main piece and had all of the letters on the fridge. I would tell Eathan a letter and have him run in the kitchen find the letter and bring it back to put in the main piece to see if he was right. He thought that was SO much fun.

Also, I HIGHLY recommend the LeapFrog Letter Factory DVD to help learn the letters and their sound. It is absolutely fantastic!!!

July 13th, 2007, 04:12 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome to the board.
Is your daughter advanced since you said you will be starting K not preK?
Quote:
How did you start?[/b]
At 4 I made up letter themes which revolved mostly around crafts and games. For the letter Mm we made some muffins, played in the mud, wrote Mm in a tray of mud and made a mouse finger puppet. I used the DTLK site a lot. They have mini letter books, crafts, and letter characters that the kids colour then you cut them out and they glue together.

Quote:
What did you teach at first?[/b]
Well I see home schooling to be a life style so we started at birth. But colours, shapes, numbers, letters and whatever they show interest in would be first. We only do a little formal writing of letters. Mostly I just let her have free reign to paper, crayons, pencils and felt pens because she loves to draw and adding letters to it has been a natural progression. I have also notices at least with my daughter that learning occurs in spurts. Take advantage of those even if it means listening to a leap pad dvd on letters 10 times running for 3 days! lol they learn a lot if you cater to the current passion. I have also noticed her learning is all over the place as well, and I am learning to relax about that. Originally I thought she should know every letter name and sound really well before learning any 3 letter words but she really wanted to watch the word factory dvd and so she has learnt a few of those little words like dad and cat even though she isn't rock solid on all the alphabet yet. Same with the writing, I thought learn lower case then capitals as needed...but she learns the capitals and writes the capitals more easily so I am not so bothered now if she writes her name mixed up with upper and lower case. So what I am saying is just go with the flow. If you think she isn't ready for those copy books then use rice/kool aid/flour etc on a tray and have her write with her finger. If she doesn't want to 'do school' on any given day then don't push it. Play is much more important at 4 then school work. A resistant child will not learn they just learn to hate school time.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
July 13th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Welcome! At her age, play and read to her. Make it very gentle.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

July 13th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Quote:
At 4 I made up letter themes which revolved mostly around crafts and games. For the letter Mm we made some muffins, played in the mud, wrote Mm in a tray of mud and made a mouse finger puppet. I used the DTLK site a lot. They have mini letter books, crafts, and letter characters that the kids colour then you cut them out and they glue together.[/b]
I would have never thought of that!
That's such great ideas!

Quote:
Is your daughter advanced since you said you will be starting K not preK?[/b]
I don't know... but a little percentage of kids here go to a pre-k ...
I'd like to make the kindergarten program in a years and a half, to begin the 1st grade when Mačva is 5 ˝.

I'm not used to play that kind of games, that's why I need your help to give me ideas, games I play with my kids are more physical (like hide and seek, or I'm a monster and I want to eat them, they have to run away, that kind of thing!.. )

scrabble, tic-tac-toe, bingo.... I take notes! lol

July 13th, 2007, 09:12 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Labels like K or grade 1,2,3 etc are more useful when you are talking to other people. You will find after homeschooling awhile they don't mean very much at all. With homeschooling kids set the pace and often end up doing various grade levels because they are not being held back or pushed forward not understanding. You might find she is ready for first grade reading at 5 and first grade maths at 6, or not till 7 for either, it doesn't really matter. Some kids are ready at 4 and others not till 7 for formal type studies but they all do fine. Schools have to repeat stuff over and over as well as working to a ratio of 1 teacher to 20 kids or more; which is why it takes so long. It's been shown an average older child can learn a couple of grades worth in 6 moths with one to one atention. My own daughter is nearly 5 3/4 and still a long way from being ready for first grade work.

Quote:
I would have never thought of that![/b]
I don't come up with all my own ideas, there are heaps of free things online. If you look up in the project section I have posted a few threads with preK/K type links.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search