Ordered Primer

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 14th, 2007, 11:48 AM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
Well I ordered MUS Primer today. I realyl think for both Declan and I using primer will be better. He can do math..really really well..but I think a nice gentle approach to sit down math is what we both need. Eric has been working unreal OT so I felt now was a good time to spend the $50 on it. Once we get thru it I have 2 more kids that can use it so it will be money well spent right??LOL
July 14th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Money spent on MUS is always money well spent!!

July 14th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Exactly!LOL
July 14th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh I'm so jealous!! I'm so ready to order MUS, but DS just isn't ready yet. I've seriously thought about ordering just so I could hold it!

July 14th, 2007, 03:42 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Tisha, Primer is really really easy. From what you have said about Eathan on here I think he would handle it ok if you wanted it. A major part of the first 4 lessons is just learning to recognize 0-9.

Alison, I hope Declan enjoys it. You might want to skip ahead quickly, but that’s ok too.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
July 14th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Oh I am sure we'll plow right thru it..he is a mental math whiz BUT he does not like sitting down doing math..so I think he needs this intro to math u see..kwim?
July 14th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Most pages only have 3 questions, to 6 at most. On some of them they can colour/draw or use sticky colour dots (sticky dots isn't sugested it was my idea) so it doesn't feel that much like 'doing maths' Hopfuly that will get him away from the 'I don't like to sit and do maths' thing.

July 14th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Tisha, Primer is really really easy. From what you have said about Eathan on here I think he would handle it ok if you wanted it. A major part of the first 4 lessons is just learning to recognize 0-9.[/b]
Hmmm...that has me thinking then!! I was under the impression that he should already be able to understand and recognize 0-9. I didn't know that it went over that. He understands up to about 5, but after that he won't even count objects that high. Like, if I draw stars on a paper he can tell you there are 5 if I draw 5, but if I draw more than that he just counts them over and over. He still only counts to 10 really well and gets all of the teens messed up.

July 14th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That's cool, Alison! Given what you've said here about Declan, I'm sure he'll breeze right through Primer!

Tisha, Jared can count to 20 and recognizes numbers up to 10. Justin can count to 5 (sometimes 10 with help) and only recognizes up to 3. They're both doing Primer. Jared flies through it and doesn't even need me to help with anything (yet). I help Justin and he does fine with it. I would think Eathan would probably do fine with it, too. Just a funny little note about Justin. The first day we did Primer, they started out putting the blocks on the squares on their paper and then counting the blocks. Jared loves doing that! Justin, on the other hand, HATES it. He'd much prefer to color the squares and then count them. Whatever floats his boat.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

July 14th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Platinum Supermommy
YAY!!!! I'm off to convincing DH we need it NOW!!!

Isn't that funny how kiddos can be so different on the same exact thing.

July 14th, 2007, 04:46 PM
They do have objects to count past 5. For example a page might have 3 sums, one with 0 objects, one with 9 dogs and one with 3 cats to count, then the child circles the answer on the number line. If he wont count objects passed 5 he will have trouble on some questions. You might want to wait a bit longer before showing him primer or you can just give him more help. If you do buy it but it seems there is too much he doesn't get then you can always just put it away for a few months. Or if he enjoys it and it is only a few he doesn't get you can simply do for him aloud and show him which number to circle after counting along the number line. Sarah still doesn't recognize all the 0-9 numbers but she has no trouble counting objects up to about 12 and saying how many they are, then going along the number line. She just can not seem to remember that this '6' is a six in isolation by itself kwim? Another way they teach the numbers is a grid of boxes is given with a number beside it say 4, the child says the number then counts 4 boxes which are then colourd or drawn in or sometimes we use the sticky dots. Another sum gives objects and two numbers, one is right the other is wrong. The child crosses out the wrong one and traces over the right one.

July 14th, 2007, 04:47 PM
I know. It cracks me up to see the differences in them. Justin was getting so stressed out trying to get those blocks perfectly lined up on the squares. He's a perfectionist and he wanted them perfectly centered on the squares. Plus he's a lefty, so he started with the bottom right square. Everytime he'd go to do the top row, he'd knock them over and get mad. It was all I could do to keep from laughing and making him even madder.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...

July 14th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Jenn!

Decisions, decisions! I'm going to talk it over with DH and see how he feels about it. He is normally less "critical" over Eathan than I am. I'm one of those that want him to do it "perfect" before moving on. I'm learning to relax though b/c he gets bored easily and when we do something new he seems to pick up more tricks and learns it faster.

July 14th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Sarah prefers to make houses with hers lol.

July 14th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Quote:
Or if he enjoys it and it is only a few he doesn't get you can simply do for him aloud and show him which number to circle after counting along the number line.[/b]
That's basically how I do it with Justin. He'll color the squares (or stars, whatever) and then he'll count them. Sometimes I have to help him with the counting. And then we'll go down the number line counting until we get to the right number. And then he circles it. Although, sometimes he doesn't *want* to circle it. He wants to "x" it or "color" it. Whatever.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...

July 14th, 2007, 06:24 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I do think it is much easier on the kid if they can already recognize 0-9. Cameron was unable to do Primer until he could. It didn't teach it enough for him to be able to get it.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

July 14th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Declan can..Jadziah can not and I don't intend to teach her that for awhile..lol..if she picks it up awesome..if not oh well!
July 14th, 2007, 09:10 PM
Well, to be honest with you, I'm mainly doing it with Justin because he asks to do it. That's why I give him all the extra help. I'm determined not to rush him through just because Jared is moving on. I honestly think if I gave Justin the same pages every day, he wouldn't care. As long as he gets to do his papers. We work on recognizing his numbers in other ways as well, but he just *has* to have his papers. That's how it is in every aspect of school for him. Right now, if he wants to be involved, he can be. If not, I don't push. Kindergarten right now is mainly for Jared. We let Justin "tag along" so to speak.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...

July 15th, 2007, 06:12 AM
Oh I'd do it with an 02 kiddo..Ziah is not even 4 yet so no way..LOL

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search