What are your time saving tips?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 22nd, 2007, 07:25 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
Just wondering if you have any tips for getting it all done. I have so much to do in a day and I would love to hear any tips for getting things done faster or easier? I mean how do you keep your house clean, home school, and have a life too? Any tips? When I get some I will share. LOL I am still figuring this out myself.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
July 22nd, 2007, 07:49 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I would love to hear any tips for getting things done faster or easier? I mean how do you keep your house clean, home school, and have a life too? Any tips?[/b]
Don't look at it? Well that's what I do with the house. I figure little kids+ homeschooling = messy house.
(Whispers- "Unless you are Alison") Sometimes I get down about the mess so I just repeat to myself This too shall pass. I am sure one day when the kids and toys are gone I will want it all back. In practical terms I know de-cluttering would help. it just seems when I do have some free time like when my youngest naps then I don't want to be
de-cluttering I want me time. I keep meaning to start selling on E-bay I just need to get motivated and a free weekend.
I do make sure I get me time every afternoon though. After lunch my youngest naps, and even if he wakes early he has to stay there till 2. While he naps my daughter has quiet time.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
July 23rd, 2007, 04:31 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
As for cleaning, we have "acts of kindness" time twice a day. That's when the kids have little assignments that I come up with at that moment for them to do to clean up the house. Stuff gets picked up, put away, etc. during that time. Then throughout the day if I am going upstairs without carrying the baby I take something up to put it away (it seems to always need to go up, never down). I do little things all during the day if I have a few minutes. A couple minutes here and there really add up.

Homeschooling takes a couple hours a day but that's not negotiable. Things go a lot faster now with Sonlight because the kids don't complain. They love Sonlight. So my tip there is to find something they love. I combine them as much as possible since Cameron is totally still needing a lot of one-on-one time for language arts and math and Ani still needs some one-on-one time for language arts. We do read-alouds, history, geography, Bible, science, art, music, PE, home ec, and part of Latin all together.

I actually have a lot of "me" time. Ani and Cameron entertain each other very well and are often outside for a few hours during the day since it's summer. Fritz even entertains himself plus usually he naps really well during the day, too. So I have a lot of time to cross stitch (or scrapbook or quilt or read - cross stitch is the main activity lately since I'm working on Christmas presents).

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

July 23rd, 2007, 01:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
er....You have to have a clean house too?? Aw man!
I find that if I don't get on the computer AT ALL before we get to school that I get so much more done in the day. We do school in the mornings/early afternoons and if I get on the computer first I spend all my time on here while the kids go nuts and make the house a wreck. So, we get up, eat, I let DS watch one cartoon while I get things ready and we do school- eat lunch, and I'll do laundry and spot clean the kitchen while we do school. Then its nap time for them- or rather quiet time for my oldest DS- as long as he's in his room, I'm happy! While they nap, I either catch up on some sleep or clean my heart out as much as I can until they wake up.
I know your kids are older though- so maybe have a quiet time in the afternoons where everyone goes to their own private spot and does something quietly for an hour or two? You could do all the major stuff you need to get done, and then during the other part of the day have them do something to help you too.

July 23rd, 2007, 01:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Well, if we ever get it figured out I will let you know. We just aren't routine people and everytime I have tried to get Eathan into a routine he bucks! Even as a baby, he didn't like a set routine. I think I could get Garrett into a routine, but he's moody.

I do think that routine is key to keeping up with all of it. I figure I can have a spotless house when my kids are out of it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search