I know it is only preschool, but...

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 16th, 2007, 11:02 AM
mom2my3boyz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mom2my3boyz Send a message via Yahoo to mom2my3boyz
I need to find out where to start as far as curriculum and everything else. I'm new to this, so I'm not really sure where to begin. I have a 3.5 year old and 2 year old twins. I definitely want to start something with my oldest. I'm not sure what is out there for the 2 year olds, but I'd be interested to see if there is anything I could get them started with. I don't know if I'll actually homeschool for grade school, but it seems like the best option right now. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!
August 16th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
There are some good preschool curriculums out there. Even stuff you could work a 2 yr old into. Five in a Row comes to mind. Sonlight and Winter Promise both have preK programs too. And of course, there's tons of free resources on the internet. I'm sure some of the ladies here will supply you with links for those. You definitely have lots of options available. It may just be an issue of trial and error for you until you find what feels most comfortable. But slow and easy is probably the best way to start.

My 4 yr old is doing PreK this year. We are doing a makeshift Sonlight program with my oldest 2 and she will join in on some of that, and the rest I am just putting together odds and ends for her instead of using a particular program.

Edited to add: I see by your blinkies that you are a w.o.w. widow. I was too until recently. I can sympathize!

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
August 16th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Well to get you started, you can look at the types of things they should be doing at preschool level:
http://www.worldbook.com/wb/Students...ulum/preschool

Also, when DS was two we did a few pages from the Abeka workbooks they have out for preschool level-this was mainly how he learned his colors and shapes and numbers. He really enjoyed them especially since we only did them when he wanted to. We made it into a special thing instead of a "you have to" thing.

August 16th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Have your kids asked to do school? At their ages I wouldn't do anything but play, play, play unless they are specifically requesting something. They have years and years ahead of them for formal school. It doesn't need to start this young no matter what the pro-send your kids away to preschool at 2 1/2 set. If they are asking I wouldn't spend much money on curriculum. Lots of stuff can be found on-line for free or virtual free.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

August 16th, 2007, 06:06 PM
grunig's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to grunig Send a message via Yahoo to grunig
I agree with Heather. You can teach them so much through play at this age. I tried sitting my oldest down at 3 years old and he would only last about 5 minutes. I resorted to teaching numbers, etc through playing with him and his toys. And we read a lot.

Mom to Talen, Trent, and Thorne

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
August 16th, 2007, 09:11 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
There are a few curriculum’s out for preschoolers if you really feel the need for something. Abeka has a 3 year old curriculum and so does Rod and Staff. Five in a row is not for little ones, it is Before Five In A Row which is for 2-5 year olds. Then there are the free ones, letter of the week http://www.letteroftheweek.com/ and mothers hubards which is Christian http://www.hubbardscupboard.org/time_for_b..._and_rhyme.html
But really I wouldn't bother. I would look in the rainbow resources catalogue and buy some fun learning type toys, get a lot of library books to read and have plenty of open ended craft available to them. Maybe your twins are not like my son, but at our house as soon as school stuff comes out for my daughter my son wants into it as well. So I can imagine how hard it would be to do something set with the 3.5 year old while the two, two year olds are trying to get into it as well. Which is why I would find the toys, reading and open craft easier to manage for all 3. For letters for your 3 year old I don't think you can past Leap pads talking letter factory dvd and there fridge phonic set.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
August 17th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi! I'm new to the whole homeschool thing as well, and am starting my 2 1/2 yr. old on preschool in a couple of weeks. I've gathered a few different preschool programs together and am planning on just taking it slow with fun stuff from each a few hours a week.
I agree with letting kids let you know when they want school at these young ages. The Biscuit's been asking for awhile...I started out with the Leapfrog DVDs last spring and she LOVED them. She learned her phonics, counting, and solidified her ABC learning with them. If you allow your kids videos I recommend them to you, definitely!
We can support each other as newbies with preschool homeschooling, my friend!! I know that I need all the support I can get
August 20th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Send a message via ICQ to alicialindsey Send a message via AIM to alicialindsey
I am also new to homeschooling and within the past few weeks, my son has learned so much. He was enrolled in La Petite Academy but it didn't work for us due to medical reasons...and thats when I decided to homeschool him. I haven't had tons of support from my mom (who usually supports me with everything), but everyone else seems to be responding well to me taking the path less traveled. I picked up "Homeschooling The Early Years" by Linda Dobson and "The Complete Daily Curriculum for Early Childhood" by Schiller and Phipps and together those books have helped me so much. I planned my son's daily activities using my own imagination and reading through those books. I hope that helps! I'd love to hear all of your ideas as well!

August 20th, 2007, 08:47 PM
dinamommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I started the letter of the week curriculum with my 3 1/2 year old today and she loved it! It's really fun, free, and not all that much planning on your part. It is all laid out on the website. I like the variety of things you get to do each week so that it doesn't become tedious for little ones.

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

August 22nd, 2007, 08:13 AM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm another new-ish preschool/homeschool mom. We've actually been doing homeschool-y things for more than a year now - I started looking at ideas online, in books (I love Early Childhood Education at Home), etc. for ideas to do with my little girl. She just loves them all - school IS play to her right now, and she's forever asking to "do school". I broke down and bought a phonics curriculum over the summer - it's called Happy Phonics, and uses games to teach letters, sounds, etc. It progresses all the way through early reading, but of course, we're not in a big hurry. Just having fun with it for now.
August 22nd, 2007, 08:39 AM
Platinum Supermommy

I don't have much to add, but I HIGHLY recommend the LeapFrog products! Especiall The Letter Factory DVD and Talking Words Factory DVD. Those have been GREAT for my son as well as my niece. We also have the fridge magnets and he likes those as well.

August 22nd, 2007, 06:57 PM
lblackst's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:

I don't have much to add, but I HIGHLY recommend the LeapFrog products! Especiall The Letter Factory DVD and Talking Words Factory DVD. Those have been GREAT for my son as well as my niece. We also have the fridge magnets and he likes those as well.[/b]

Yes! Agree!

<div align="center"><span style="font-family:Verdana">“The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live.” </div></span>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search