Can homeschooling be done while working?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 16th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Veteran
Hi,

I'd like to know if you can do it while working, or is this priviledge only for Stay-At-Home-Moms. Anyone out there work and homeschool?

Thanks!

August 16th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yes, you can. Both myself and husband are in school 25 hours a week. Both of us do maintenance for his dad's apartments, we have one home business and starting another. If you have to do 900 hours. you can do year round 7 days a week is 2.5 hours a day. you would of course have to find a babysitter that you trust, any day your child is read to or reads count it, have them write down what they did that day, (ie. websites, field trips, t.v. shows and games) depending on your state you may be able to put them as a tutor.

August 17th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I know a few people who homeschool and work. School doesn't have to be done during "school" hours.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

August 17th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yep, you can homeschool and work at the same time! You can work full time, come home and do school with your kids- meanwhile have the baby sitter that you trust do some things with them too. Schedule things out for them to do that day like cute little games, experiments, books to read etc. Then you can do the rest once you get home.

August 17th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Veteran
Quote:
depending on your state you may be able to put them as a tutor.[/b]

Hi Miguelsmommy,

Thanks for replying. There's just the above quote of yours I didn't get. What did you mean when you said "put them"?

I'm in Canada so not only are laws different, the language lingo is too. :-)

August 17th, 2007, 09:36 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think she means write there name down on formal papers as the tutor.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
August 18th, 2007, 07:11 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I so think you can do it and work!

August 18th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
In Canada, with the exception of Alberta, it is very simple to homeschool in any way that you have the time to do so. Basically, the parent must supervise the child's education, and the education (in most provinces, though not the territories it seems!) should be centred in the home. So, if you have someone caring for your child, they can supervise the completion of the school work for a given day that you request they complete with your child, and you can do whatever you feel would be better done by you as a parent than by the sitter. There is not a "private tutor" option in any of the legislations that I can find for Canadian homeschoolers, but most of the legislations simply state that the parents must be the supervisors of the educational program. If, however, you live in Alberta, they have a highly intrusive and regulated homeschool legislation, and I'm not sure if you would be permitted to homeschool without being with your child for at least the 5 or 6 school hours every day. But, my mum supervised the implementation of programs set out by various homeschool parents around our province, I stayed in a home that supervised the implementation of my parents' homeschool program for six weeks, and I have supervised the implementation of homeschool programs for parents that I have known, and we have had no issues in any of the provinces this occurred in (I believe we're now at a count of three provinces of doing this). Most provinces and territories do not have a required number of days to attend school either (with the exception of Alberta, none have any such requirements). You can check out your options at hslda.ca
August 20th, 2007, 06:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I did mean you can put the babysitter as the tutor.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search