hi i'm new to this board

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 21st, 2007, 03:38 PM
mama~manda06
that i'm homeschooling for the first full year. I have in the past homeschooled her for half of prek and kindergarten b/c i was pregnant and on bedrest so she had to go back to school. I have a kindergartener as well but we are sending him to school to get some speech therapy. Also have a 2 yr old and almost 1 yr old at home. We started homeschooling for 2nd grade yesterday. things have been going pretty good. its hard to concentrate with the two little ones but we do about an hr a subject so its a 7 hour day. i hardly have time in advance to look over the lesson so i dont look like an idot. our classes are bible, math, phonics/journals, lunch/recess,switch out with social studies and science, switch out with art/music and reading, switch out with spelling and p.e. i'm just not sure i'm explaining things right or in kid terms....i find most of my materials at www.teacherhelp.org which is wonderful. i got my workbooks at walmart as we cant afford a program, but not worth having her in school learning wrong things. i know that i have my son in kindergarten public school but its only for a few years to get his thought process right and his speech. Any advice or suggestions????
August 21st, 2007, 04:16 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
G'day and welcome to the board.
Can I ask what you are using that is taking so long? 2nd grade should take about 1-3 hours. Each subject should take 20-30 minutes tops, unless the child wants to continue something that interests him. They say 2 hours of one on one instruction is worth about 4 hours of group class, so in effect 7 hours at home is like 14 hours of ps. My sugestion would be to cut way way back and relax!

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
August 21st, 2007, 04:17 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
First, welcome! I am Heather and have a 7 1/2 year old girl (would be going into second), an almost 6 year old boy (would be entering kindergarten), and a 13 month old boy. Second, I would say you are spending WAY too much time on school. It has been found that kids actually learn for just a few minutes per hour at public school. A lot of the day is spent waiting, corralling, etc. Most people don't go over 3 hours a day homeschooling, and that includes for older kids. At second grade 1-2 hours is plenty (and more actual engaged learning time than a second grader is getting in public school). We do school for 2 hours a day and that includes read-alouds for about half that time.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

August 21st, 2007, 04:47 PM
mama~manda06
Quote:
First, welcome! I am Heather and have a 7 1/2 year old girl (would be going into second), an almost 6 year old boy (would be entering kindergarten), and a 13 month old boy. Second, I would say you are spending WAY too much time on school. It has been found that kids actually learn for just a few minutes per hour at public school. A lot of the day is spent waiting, corralling, etc. Most people don't go over 3 hours a day homeschooling, and that includes for older kids. At second grade 1-2 hours is plenty (and more actual engaged learning time than a second grader is getting in public school). We do school for 2 hours a day and that includes read-alouds for about half that time.[/b]

WOW really i thought i wasn't doing enough.....this is how my day has been going:
MONDAY
Bible 830 to 10:00
Math 10:00-11:00
Phonics/Journals 11:00-11:55
Lunch/Recess 11:55-1:59
Social Studies 2:00-3:08
Reading 3:08 to 4:40
TUESDAY
Bible 945-11:00
Math 11:00-11:35
phonics/journals 11:35-12:47
Lunch/Recess 12:47-2:15
Science/Health 2:15-3:20
Spelling 3:20-4:10
Review 4:10-4:20
Art 4:30-5:30
WEDNESDAY
Bible
Math
Phonics/Journals
Lunch/Recess
Science
Spelling
Music/Art
Review
THURSDAY
Bible
Math
Phonics/Journals
Lunch/recess
Social Studies
P.E.
Reading
Review
FRIDAY
Bible
Math
Phonics/Journals
Lunch/recess
Science
Spelling
Art/Music
Review

Like I said I just bought some workbooks from walmart. nothing fancy and some online sites.
How do I cut down? how do you fit all the subjects in? I thought it had to equal public school hours. we live in Kansas. Thanks so much ladies you have been a great help already!
August 21st, 2007, 05:31 PM
Send a message via ICQ to alicialindsey Send a message via AIM to alicialindsey
Hello!
I'm new to the board too! I already feel very welcome here! I recently started homeschooling my preschooler, but we spend less than two hours doing our "formal" portion of "school" and the rest of the day playing. I figure, trust Isaiah's instinct and we'll be fine!

August 21st, 2007, 05:53 PM
*Sharon*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi! Welcome!!!! I have a *just-turned* 6 year old dd, a 3.75 ds and a baby boy due in just under 9 weeks.

I was homeschool through high school and was able to graduate in 3 years instead of 4 and I never spent more than 3-4 hours a day on school work.

I don't assign a time to my dd's school because sometimes our schedule varies, but she does probably 2 hours of school a day. That is math, spelling, reading, and science everyday and language and history alternating days. I find that if I have everything ready the night before school goes much quicker. Otherwise she has breaks in between subjects while I get ready for the upcoming subject.

I make my own math worksheets and that works well for us and is very inexpensive of course. And for reading I count the books she is reading. Right now she is reading the Disney Fairy series. I do have texts for the other subjects. I don't do a handwriting program. She has a journal for history, language, and science that she uses everyday. And she practices writing a lot in spelling as well of course.

If you only did about 30 minutes per subject school would only take about 2.5 hours with the subjects you are doing. And 30 minutes one on one should be quite sufficient.

Sharon, wife to Noah; mom to Belle (12.5), Ryllan (10), Finn (6), and Zane (3).

August 21st, 2007, 06:00 PM
lblackst's Avatar Super Mommy
My daughter does an online program. I've found it very helpful. I supplement with other things when I feel the need. Personally, I think 7 hours is a really long time. In regular school, there is a lot of time spent getting in line, recess, assemblies. . . not all the time is spent teaching and learning. However, the thing I like about homeschool is that my kids can take less time on what they know and more time on things they struggle with.

Oh, and Welcome!!!!

<div align="center"><span style="font-family:Verdana">“The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live.” </div></span>
August 21st, 2007, 06:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I just want to say !!! I'm Tisha!! I'm a newbie to homeschooling, but I do PreK/K with my 4 yo Eathan and we spend about an 30 min-1 hour a day of actual "school." I'm no expert though. Sometimes we don't even get an hour in b/c he loses interest and I figure 30 min of paying attention is better than 1 hour of him staring into space. You'll get it figured out!! We'll help!

Again,

August 21st, 2007, 07:54 PM
mama~manda06
Quote:
I just want to say !!! I'm Tisha!! I'm a newbie to homeschooling, but I do PreK/K with my 4 yo Eathan and we spend about an 30 min-1 hour a day of actual "school." I'm no expert though. Sometimes we don't even get an hour in b/c he loses interest and I figure 30 min of paying attention is better than 1 hour of him staring into space. You'll get it figured out!! We'll help!

Again, [/b]

Thank you everyone....for being so nice and welcoming. I guess I just worry that maybe the state will come check on me or make her get tested and she's won't be smart enough to them. I dont know why i worry so much about what other think. i guess it is just something i got customed too. she is a very smart young lady for being 7 years old but i just worry that i'm not smart enough to teach her. the subjects i struggle with are science and social studies as i'm not sure what to teach her without using a expensive program. i would love to be able to afford abeka. again i thank you for your kind words and encouragement. i will keep you ladies posted on our progress. i have this as my homepage so i can come quickly if i need to.
August 21st, 2007, 08:43 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just went and looked up Kansas law on HSLDA http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp?State=KS#1 and don't see anything about equalling ps hours, only ps days, which can mean a lot of different things to different people. If you simply mark the calendar every day you do school you only need 186 days down according to that. Any activity which is educational can be seen as 'school' Any physical activity can be said to be PE. So if she is running around outside-that is PE, you shouldn't have to schedule it in. Find a bug and watch it- nature study, read a book- well reading, cooking with measurements- maths. Watch a nature show- science/nature study, played Monopoly- reading and maths.

Quote:
How do I cut down? how do you fit all the subjects in?[/b]
Just looking at your schedule for Monday, wow I would be headed for burnout really fast on that.
Quote:
Bible 830 to 10:00[/b]
- Again wow, an hour and a half. What do you do that it takes that long? I am thinking at 7 I will probably have my daughter look up a passage of scripture, then read it aloud to her, then probably do some kind of memory verse activity/game. I am thinking 10-15 minutes.
Quote:
Math 10:00-11:00[/b]
We use Math-U-See and my daughter does as many pages as she would like. So that might only be 5 minutes or some days as long as 20. I would try and stick to about 15-30 minutes.
Quote:
Phonics/Journals 11:00-11:55[/b]
I would probably spend 10 minutes on phonics and about 20 on journals so about 1/2 an hour.
Quote:
Social Studies 2:00-3:08[/b]
I don't plan on doing social studies as such, but if that is History and geography then I would spend longest on this probably 30-60 minutes simply because I love history and there is so much fun stuff you can do for it.
Quote:
Reading 3:08 to 4:40[/b]
I probably have this covered under history as I plan on using a lot of living books for that. Of course my daughter would be free to read anytime, and then there is always before bed as well so I wouldn't make it a separate subject during school time unless we were rowing a book (Five In A Row literature study)
I would expect those subjects to take me anywhere from 1 1/2 to 2 1/4 hours. i would then mark that down as a day on my attendance chart, as I am sure my kids would continue to learn something all day just from there play.

You can also set the days and times. You do not have to follow ps schedules of times, days or holidays (vacations)
So if Tue-Sat work best, or night time suits better, or all little bits on various days work best then use those times. We go to a year round schedule taking breaks as needed. We normally take our family holiday (vacation) while the ps kids are at school, much cheaper and less crowded. We also go under a cover school and belong to our countries home education association so if I am asked (haven’t been yet) I will simply say my daughter is home schooled and flash my card or say she is a privet school student as each is true. If you are interested in having a cover school i recommend the one we use(which happens to be American) Home Life Academy. http://www.homelifeacademy.com/index.php

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
August 22nd, 2007, 05:15 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Kansas looks easy! They say either 186 days per year or equivalent hours, but it is my feeling that children learn all the time, not just in the bubble of school so how much schooling they get is really much, much more than required. You have no recordkeeping requirement so it looks like the time "requirement" is like I have in VA. They say to do it as much as the public schools, but they don't want to know that you did. You have no testing requirement so no one can come and test her or evaluate her. That would be against the law. As for what others think, there will always be people who look down on homeschooling. You just roll your eyes and ignore them. As for cutting down, I'm really curious how you are filling so much space of time! Here's my daughter's typical times (she's 7 and would be a second grader this fall):

-Religion - About 20 minutes. We read a passage out of the Egermeier's Bible (I read aloud), work on a Sing the Word A-Z verse once with the words and once with just the music, and we work on learning an article of faith (we are Mormon) by singing along with the song twice.
-Math - This is all up to her. She CAN do a page in 5-10 minutes and does two pages a day most days making the total time 10-20 minutes. Or she can dawdle and take an hour per page. This is something she does on her own without me right there. She has a book with her language arts and math assignments to do each day. If/when she needs me she comes to me.
-Phonics/Writing - About 10-15 minutes a day. Four days a week she does a few pages in an Explode the Code book and one day a week she does a page or two in Wordly Wise. She writes daily, doing copywork or some sort of grammar thing (changing pronouns in a sentence or learning about conjunctions or whatever) or preparing to write a paragraph or story (making notes) or actually writing the paragraph or story. She also does a page of handwriting in Handwriting Without Tears each day.
-Lunch and recess is just a regular part of our day. We eat lunch around noon and the kids play inside or out a lot of the day.
-Social Studies - This includes geography and history for us. We spend about 30-40 minutes on this. It includes our read alouds including pre-reading information (defining words they may not know that they will hear or giving background information that will make them understand the reading better) and post-reading comprehension and discussion questions, mapwork some days, time line some days,
-Reading - This, again, is up to Ani. She reads a lot outside of school, but in school specifically she reads 10 pages a day in the Illustrated Book of Mormon and a passage (plus comprehension questions we do orally) from her assigned reader. Usually reading in school takes about 20 minutes.
-Science - 5-30 minutes depending on if we are doing an experiment. If they really get into the experiment it can take longer.
-Art, Music, PE, Home Ec - 10-30 minutes depending on how into it they get. We do one of those a day.
-Spelling - 5 minutes a day - one day is a "rule", one day is writing the words, one day is doing something with the words (ABC order, showing roots/endings, etc.), one day is the test and writing missed words if necessary, and one day is writing sentences with the missed words if she missed any

We use Sonlight so we have a framework of what to do each day.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

August 22nd, 2007, 06:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi and welcome to the board!

I agree with the others that 7 hours is a long day. I think we might have longer days than some of the others on the board, but I'd say most days last year we were done in about 4 hours, maybe 5 on a particularly busy day. So far this year, our schooling is taking about 2.5 hours each day, but that will probably change the more we get into things. This is our second year of homeschooling and I have a 7th grader, a 3rd grader, and a preschooler. I also have a 2 yr old and a new baby due very soon.
Some of our subjects are done in 15 minutes, others take 30-40 mintues. The only thing that takes an hour is lunch and recess! Sometimes I'll assign an hour or so of quiet reading time, but it usually doesn't last the whole hour.

Sounds like you are devoted to giving your daughter a quality education and you have a good schedule worked out. The only thing I'd recommend is cutting down the time spent on each subject. And maybe try to keep it to 4 or 5 subjects a day tops. She will probably actually absorb a lot more that way.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
August 23rd, 2007, 11:48 AM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hello!

We do use Abeka and this is how our day goes.

Bible: We pick a verse per week or so to memorize. We talk about it, what it means, etc. Church and the co-op give him the indepth bible learning. And his work for the day combines it with it. Anyway, this takes 2 minutes for us.

Phonics/Reading: He reads a few pages of something and he does a phonics page. This takes 10 minutes at the most.

Language: We talk about it or we may do a sheet. Most times we use what we know. 10-15 minutes. Sometimes he will journal a story.

math: a sheet and teaching is like 30 minutes

Science: 20 minutes, it is reading and experiments

History: Story of the world and that we just have fun with and it can take like 30 minutes some days.

flutophone: this is not everyday and it takes about 15 minutes...and he practices 5 or so minutes a day.

Art: WE do this here and there throughout the week...and it doesn't have a time.

3 hours is more than enough in second grade.

I want to welcome you and I look forward to having you here.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search