Intro & question re: math curriculum!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 22nd, 2007, 08:01 AM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi, everyone! I'm new to JM (and SO glad I found it!) My name is Kristin, I'm wife to Gene, SAHM to Rachael (3.5) and expecting our second little girl in late November.

I've lurked a bit on this board before posting and, like a few others, we're getting started with a "loose" preschool curriculum. More play than anything, of course, but Rachael just loves it and asks to "do school" constantly - so who am I to say no, right? We use (and love) the Happy Phonics curriculum, but I really wanted to get some kind of beginning math curriculum to go along with it. I think those are the two biggies we'll start with.

Any ideas for math programs for the smallest kids? I've been looking into Math-U-See and like what I've seen - and I know she'd enjoy playing all the blocks - but I tend to second guess myself and wanted to see if anyone else had input...either about Math-U-See or ideas for something entirely different.

Thanks so much - I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you homeschooling mamas!
August 22nd, 2007, 08:09 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
We are big into MUS on this board. Primer is a nice gentle intro to math, but it's really kindergarten-ish level (if you assign grade levels to MUS). At her age I'd probably do some Montessori-ish stuff with one-to-one correspondence and matching numbers and numbers/pictures of that number of something and adding and subtracting using manipulatives.

ETA: My favorite blog of someone using Montessori with her little girl is http://lapazfarm.homeschooljournal.net

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

August 22nd, 2007, 09:25 AM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for the link - I'll definitely take a look at the blog! We've been doing the sorts of things you mentioned for a while now, and she seems to be really bored with the matching and numbers/pictures...and she's doing fairly well with adding and subtracting using manipulatives. We do Before Five in a Row too, so there's plenty of opportunity for that worked into the units. I don't know, I don't want to push her (of course), but I don't want her to be bored either. I figured if nothing else, she'd enjoy playing with the MUS blocks...and probably learn a good bit without anything very structured with them...
August 22nd, 2007, 09:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
to the board!! I'm Tisha and I have Eathan (4) and Garrett (19mos). Eathan isn't quite ready for a Math program, but in a few more months we are definitely getting MUS!! I love their way of teaching. He probably could do it now, but I'm giving him some more time. If she seems ready, I say GO FOR IT!

August 22nd, 2007, 01:20 PM
grunig's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to grunig Send a message via Yahoo to grunig
I loved MUS at first but Talen is getting a little bored with it. I am thinking about trying Saxon Math if he continues to complain about MUS.

Mom to Talen, Trent, and Thorne

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
August 22nd, 2007, 02:07 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Just a heads up... if he complains about MUS, expect a lot MORE complaining about Saxon. That is one of the absolute most boring programs out there.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

August 22nd, 2007, 03:32 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I use Math-U-See as well and love it. I know on other boards people also like Singapore Early Bird maths for preschool.
http://www.sonlight.com/singapore-grade-ov...ml#kindergarten

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
August 22nd, 2007, 03:43 PM
grunig's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to grunig Send a message via Yahoo to grunig
Really? It sounded pretty good when i was reading about it C. Duffy's book. Maybe I will have to rethink that one as well. I think he is complaining more bc he just doesn't want to work. not bc he doesn't like the program. KWIM?

Mom to Talen, Trent, and Thorne

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
August 22nd, 2007, 03:46 PM
ilovemy3wikids
We are using Saxon math .... We started with 1st grade with Hailey last year while she was 5. If you get the manipulitives with it it is a very nice program that builds from lesson to lesson and has alot of review. The lessons can be a bit long but we just leave out the review if we know that she knows the stuff Sometimes we leave the calander work out too. We have found it to be a very good program and she is learning no problem

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search