WOW....Jared just read 4 BOB Books!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 22nd, 2007, 03:41 PM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I can't believe how well he's doing! We were sitting here and he was reading the 1st book to me. He's read it several times, so I thought I'd mix it up a little and let him try the next book in the set. He read it with very few slip-ups, and then asked for more! He ended up reading the first 4 books in the set! He was still wanting more, but I was about to fall asleep. So I let him take one in the living room to read on his own. He's so excited to read for his daddy when he gets home this evening. My little reader....

Now for Justin. He's doing really well with My Father's World Kindergarten so far. Granted we've only done 3 days, but he's doing great. Yesterday he was upset when we were done. His words, "UH! That's all???" So, I'm glad I'm having him do K with us. BUT, he's not ready for MUS yet. Or at least not ready to go beyond lesson 1 (we have Primer). He's still having trouble recognizing numbers above 3. I'm not worried about that at all. He has plenty of time. So for now, I may just let his math focus come from MFWK. It has very simple math figured into the lessons. When he's able to recognize numbers at least to 9, then we'll pick up on the MUS again.
Jared is flying through MUS without a problem. Some days he wants to do just 1 page, other days he'll do a whole lesson. His biggest problem with that is coloring. He HATES to color. Right now he's working on lesson 3 where they are supposed to shade in whatever number of blocks. OMGosh! He hates it. I just told him that he can just "X" that number of blocks and he was much happier about that. Anytime I tell him to color anything, he gets this look on his face like "Do I really have to?" Oh well. We'll just work around it.
Jack is giving me my biggest pains so far. He's not complaining about his work or anything. He thinks it's fine, but he takes F-O-R-E-V-E-R!!! He doesn't have THAT much work, he just dawdles so bad & loses his focus. Monday, it took him 6 hours! Tuesday, the same. Today he was actually done in about 3.5, but that's because I sat right beside him the entire time nudging him if he got off focus. I know he still needs my help with alot of things, but there are some things he can do independently. I can't let him do it though or he'll take an hour to do 1 paper! Ugh!!
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

August 22nd, 2007, 03:50 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Whoohoo! Way to go Jared! how exciting that he's starting to read! I can't wait till Sarah starts to get blending.

Quote:
His biggest problem with that is coloring. He HATES to color. Right now he's working on lesson 3 where they are supposed to shade in whatever number of blocks. OMGosh! He hates it. I just told him that he can just "X" that number of blocks and he was much happier about that[/b]
Just another idea and one Sarah really likes is I buy those packets of sticker dots. We can get small packets which have rows of diffrent colourd small dots. So instead of colouring I let her stick those in the boxes.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
August 22nd, 2007, 03:54 PM
Great idea, Jo! I'll have to remember to look for stickers next time I'm at the store. I'm sure Jared would love that idea, too. He loves stickers.

There's been quite a bit of coloring in MFWK so far, too. We're getting through it, but he's not too crazy about the coloring part. Loves the cutting & gluing, but coloring he could do without. I gave him markers today and that made it a little better, in his opinion.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...

August 22nd, 2007, 04:08 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Lol, Sarah is funny about colouring. Some days she wants to colour everything which generaly means rainbow stripes. Lol so that one box might requre 5 or more pens to complete. Other days she wants to colour nothing and says she hates colouring

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
August 22nd, 2007, 05:46 PM
Send a message via ICQ to alicialindsey Send a message via AIM to alicialindsey
Thats great! How encouraging that is for me to hear! Thanks for sharing!

August 22nd, 2007, 06:45 PM
grunig's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to grunig Send a message via Yahoo to grunig

Mom to Talen, Trent, and Thorne

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
August 22nd, 2007, 06:51 PM
Well, Jared read his book to his daddy this evening...and daddy was STUNNED! Proud, and stunned.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...

August 22nd, 2007, 07:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy

AWESOME!!!!

Eathan hates coloring, too. I don't even fuss with it anymore. He likes to draw and I give him colored pencils, markers, crayons, etc to do it with, so he's doing shading when he's drawing, but he doesn't like to color at all. Crazy kid!

August 23rd, 2007, 03:51 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
That's great! Cameron won't color. At all. The funny thing is he was my little one who liked coloring and Ani hated it. So if something says to color I tell him to either circle or mark the space with the right color (if color is important). He's fine with that. I figure he knows how to color so I'm not going to force it. It probably helps that I despise coloring myself so I totally understand not wanting to color something. Ani is a dawdler. She can do a MUS page in 5 minutes... or an hour. For a lot of her work that she tends to dawdle over, she's in charge of it. Her assignments are written in her little book and she has to do them on her own. It saves me from being driven crazy. I don't really care when she does her assignments but she can't do certain things until her work is done. That helps motivate her.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

August 23rd, 2007, 06:56 AM
I guess the thing that strikes me so funny about Jared hating to color is that I LOVE to color. Even now, I love coloring. I want to get a ton of those Dover coloring books, just for me. Jack loves coloring. Justin likes coloring as long as it's not something that's going to take a long time, but again he's just 4. Jared absolutely despises it. It's so odd to me. One thing I have noticed with him, he likes everything to be perfect. So, when he actually does color something he goes very slowly trying so hard not to get out of lines. I think that's why he hates it so much. He wants it to be perfect, and his coordination isn't the best right now (developmentally) so it frustrates him that he can't stay in the lines.

I tell Jack all the time that if he would just stay focused and get his work done, he would have the rest of the day to do whatever. He hates spending his day doing school work when he'd rather be outside playing, but he just won't grasp the concept that it doesn't have to take all day, if he'll just stay focused and stop letting his mind roam. We had the same issues at the beginning of school last year, as well as at the end of the school year. When it's nice outside, he just wants to be out there enjoying it. I'm sure (I hope!) he'll get better about getting his work done in a timely manner once we get into a good working routine.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...

August 23rd, 2007, 09:25 AM
*Sharon*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yay!!!!!

As for dawdling...sometimes I think Belle gets biten by the dawdling bug. Most of the time it doesn't take her long at all, but other days.....

Sharon, wife to Noah; mom to Belle (12.5), Ryllan (10), Finn (6), and Zane (3).

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search