Hola all

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 23rd, 2007, 01:39 PM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
Hello ladies.. I have a few minutes and waned to stop in.say HI.. and get a little input..this is long and rambling so bare with me and it's on the blog so if you get a second..read it and tell me your thoughts?

http://wayzleyacademy.homeschooljournal.net/
August 23rd, 2007, 01:41 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
If I was only going to hs for a few years, I'd pick high school. No way would I send my kids just to high school. Given Noah's history prior to hsing I'd say that high school could be downright dangerous for him.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

August 23rd, 2007, 01:54 PM
exactly! I just know we'd spiral back into the abyss we were in.. and even with the other 3 I just don't want them there!
August 23rd, 2007, 02:04 PM
Send a message via ICQ to alicialindsey Send a message via AIM to alicialindsey
I stick with the general rule... You're the mom. You make the decisions that are best for your family. I have a hard time with my inlaws and my parents when it comes to homeschooling and though we've just started and my son is just three years old I can only imagine the things they'll have to say earlier. Do what feels right for you and your children. Thats what matters most. Who cares what other people, including outside family members, think!!! Good luck with what you decide.

August 23rd, 2007, 02:27 PM
grunig's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to grunig Send a message via Yahoo to grunig
No way. I have no plans to send them to PS. I have a few friends, and relatives who disagree with me but I don't see any reason to ever expose them to that enviroment. I am no better for my own exposure to it, in fact I think I am worse off in ways.

Mom to Talen, Trent, and Thorne

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
August 23rd, 2007, 02:51 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I say do what you want to do and when family start flapping their gums draw a line in the sand. They have had there turn to raise there own kids, now it your turn!

Some kids I imagine do quite well going to highschool at some point. If my own kids seemed mature and came up with a good list of reasons from about 14 on I would give it proper thought. However if I knew or could see it was toxic for them I would say no/withdraw them in a heart beat. I am sure the boat losd of manure would be on me then, but so is life as a mum I guess.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
August 23rd, 2007, 03:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We are planning on homeschooling straight through to college. If that changes in 10 years when Eathan would be old enough to go to high school we will cross that bridge then. In your given situation, I don't see how it would be helpful or beneficial. JMHO, though. I don't see where the whole high school experience made me any better of a person and if it did anything it made things worse.

I spoke with a lady for a potential support group and she gave me my new answer to people who feel the need to tell me what an injustice I am doing to my children: "When you are accountable to God for the raising of MY children then you will have a say so, until then SHOOOSH!!" When she said that I busted out laughing and could tell she had been confronted quite a few times about it. She just graduated her own child from homeschooling all the way through!

August 23rd, 2007, 04:47 PM
Oh I like that one Tisha. I just know my MIL thinks all this is ALL me and I am just leading Eric and he has nO mind of his own @@
August 23rd, 2007, 05:02 PM
Stellaluna's Avatar Super Mommy
Ooooh..people really burn my toast sometimes!

I'd be especially miffed about the ladies with concerns that you were keeping Noah home to help raise his siblings. You should tell them "Oh no, I do all the child rearing..Noah just does the cleaning, laundry and cooking." You're a family, families are supposed to help eachother out with things whether it's helping a sibling tie their shoes or helping out around the house.

It sounds to me as if homeschooling is a good fit for Noah and he's thriving at home.

I know it's hard, but remember that other's opinions don't matter and you're doing the right thing!

Oh! And don't forget that by not sending him to High School you won't have to fork out the extra bucks for those fancy new bullet proof backpacks!

<span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS">Homeschooling Mom to Sam (3-21-02)

My Photography Website

My Blog - Pollywog in a Blog</span>
August 23rd, 2007, 07:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I see no problem with homeschooling through highschool... my sister and I were, and did just fine. Actually, most people are shocked when they discover we were homeschooled (apparently we're too normal to be homeschool grads??).

My parents were pressured to put us into school, and finally gave in, and it was a total flop. Thankfully they only put me into the system, and they realized the mistake within two months of doing so, and pulled me out again (and had to argue with the school board over whether or not they were allowed to homeschool me!). This was all when I was in grade three.

Later, when I was hitting highschool level, they left it up to me as to whether I went to school or stayed home, and I chose to stay home (I think they were relieved). They also gave the choice to my overly social sister, who chose to stay home as well (I think she liked the ability to socialize MORE than she'd be able to if she were in school). However, with my sister, they did use the idea of attending the public highschool as the threat for if she didn't get her work done at home... basically a punishment. She rapidly got caught up, and ahead, lol!

Anyway, my opinion would be that if he expresses the desire to attend, and has really good reasons for why, then I don't think I would deny it, but otherwise, there is absolutely nothing wrong with his being at home for the highschool years.
August 24th, 2007, 06:07 AM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Agreeing with everyone else here. My sister just graduated her oldest from homeschool. She's a perfectly normal teen/young adult. I don't believe that public high school is something that kids *need*. Personally, I don't know how I would feel about sending my kids to public school in the future, if they ever show the interest. As of now, they all want to stay home and love homeschool. Jack actually gets upset if anyone mentions going to public school. He would definitely see it as a punishment. As for Noah helping to raise his younger siblings....um, that's what families do. Everyone helps everyone. You work together as a unit. Noah is plenty old enough to help out with his siblings, especially if you're busy with something else. IMO, it's just training him to be a great dad one day.
Oh, and I love the response Tisha gave, "When you are accountable to God for the raising of MY children then you will have a say so, until then SHOOOSH!!" That's great!
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

August 24th, 2007, 06:37 AM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It sounds like you already have a perfect plan.....homeschool him for as long as he wants to. If HE asked to go back, then send him. Just tell all of the ladies that and be done with them. I HATE it when others try to tell parents how to raise their children when they are already doing a great job!!! They need to all be thankful that you are the wonderful mom that you are and stop trying to find something to worry about with your parenting.
I don't think my kids will ask to go back before high school. If they ask in jr. high, I will refuse them because I do not like the school that they would be attending. The only way that I would is if all of them went back and I went to work to pay for private, but that's not what I hope will happen. I understand that if they ask to go back, it would probably be in high school. I won't deny them that, but won't listen to others who tell me that they need to either if they don't want to. I know too many families who have schooled their children all the way through and I know how well rounded those children/young adults are. I know it will get harder for me, but it will be worth it.
As for him helping to raise the little ones, hasn't that happened in all big families forever? There's nothing wrong with that either. They need to loosen up and let Noah make some decisions on his own. I would come right out and tell them NOT to feed him with all of their ideas about things. You might just have to hurt their feelings if it continues to come up.
Again, you are a great mom and teacher....that is evident to me so it has to be to your MIL and all the other ladies!!!!!!!!!!
August 24th, 2007, 09:35 AM
Thanks ladies! I have no plans to let anyone else influence our choices believe me.. I really reall yjust hate we are such a topic of conversation..but we always have been.. ya know "cloth dipes..shock... breastfeed..shock.. stay at home and raise them ourseoves..shock... @@ right??

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search