What To Do?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 24th, 2007, 02:59 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So with Sarah sudenly wanting to do lots of MUS pages we have come to lesson 9. Place value To me to jump from easy 0-9 stuff up to double didgets and place value seems like a lot. I tried explaining on the black board and we watched the dvd, but it was so far above her comprhetion yet. I mean this child can not even count properly to 20 yet, (she skips a few of them) so having a dvd talk about numbers like 45 doesn't mean a thing to her.
So... what should I do? Just continue with 0-9 practice, practice more on counting 10-20? Skip over the place value stuff in the book? (What comes after that, lol I havn't checked) Do all of the above? Does the MUS site have any more practice sheets for Primer, again I havn't looked yet.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
August 24th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I let Cameron keep going. He doesn't really get place value. Primer is for familiarization and not mastery so it's no biggie if she doesn't quite get it. If you make Decimal Street it might help it make sense to her (didn't work for Cameron).

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

August 24th, 2007, 03:11 PM
I was thinking of making a decimal street and just doing a couple of lessons on it before moving on. It's just to me, shouldn't a kid be able to count like up to at least 20 or higher and have some kind of grasp as to how much those numbers are. Like knowing you would rather have 40 lollies then 15. I wrote and counted on the black board up to 50 yeasterday. To Sarah I think those numbers are just names. Maybe if I stick to just up to 20 it would be better?
I was thinking about counting out counting bears or legos.

August 24th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Ok some more thoughts. I know it isn't mastery, but most kids I should think would have 0-9 down pretty well after doing a 1/4 of that MUS primer book. They are probably asuming that? I really don't want to dampen her resent enthuthasm. She has really been getting into the sheets latly and wanting more. Great to see, but now I need more pages! So would you just make pages and print ones of from online while going slowly on? I figured looking at lesson practice 9A, B and so on that she would probably do them as a type of counting sheet anyway, and skip stuff like lesson 10. Or would that be waisting them? Maybe I should put the book away for a bit?

August 25th, 2007, 04:12 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
It depends. I think I'd just go with what she wants. Cameron's just finished lesson 19. It takes him 4-5 days PER PAGE now because he has decided he only wants to do one section, which sometimes is one problem, a day. Fine with me since I don't think he's ready for Alpha quite yet anyway so taking his time through these last few lessons is a good thing. Now he's doing addition (simple - x+1, doubles) and gets that fine. He can even count by 2s quite well and by 10s pretty well now. Not quite understanding place value isn't a problem for him and not always remembering the numbers 7, 8, and 9 straight off hasn't been a problem for him either. So I'd just let her keep going at her own pace. There's enough review of what came before (Cameron is REALLY sick of writing the numbers 0-20 now) that she'll keep seeing those 0-9 numbers over and over again.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

August 25th, 2007, 05:35 AM
Thats true I looked on further past lesson 10 and see plenty of review, so maybe I will just skip what I think she wont get and just add in a couple of online or home made sheets in the mix. Cameron is definatly ahead of Sarah now in the maths. We havn't even mentioned counting by 2's etc.
She recognizes 0-3 easily, and gets 7 and 8 sometimes without counting, the others she counts up her number line for. I can see she has gained a lot of cofidence in the last few weeks which is what I want her to keep. She is enjoying the sheets and always asking to do more, starting to do those sums even without me at the table, and she counting faster. Lol too fast sometimes and she skips and I have to make her re-count.
I know her, if I give her a couple of days of something she finds just an itty bit hard I bet her attitude will change before she even sees the page and I will start hearing "can I go play now" after 1 page.

August 25th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I say listen to your instincts. You can sense what your child is not ready for. You can probably find lots online that she can do, but will still provide a challenge. Come back to MUS when she is ready.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search