Why Do You Homesschool

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 26th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Send a message via ICQ to alicialindsey Send a message via AIM to alicialindsey
I was just curious as to why everyone decided to homeschool. I'm still trying to figure out if I'm doing the right thing. I feel I am, but I've heard so many different points of views. I want to homeschool Isaiah because he often gets too sick to go to school and because I think I can do a better job. Why do you?

August 26th, 2007, 07:53 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have several reasons. My MAIN reason is that the schools in our area are really just bad, and have been getting progressively worse. I'm confident that my children will get a better education at home than they would in our public schools. I suppose private school would be an option, but I'm not sure how good they are either. There aren't a lot of choices in our small town.

And then there's the whole "I just don't want to be away from her so much" reason, which is also pretty compelling.
August 26th, 2007, 07:54 PM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
I'll be the first to jump in and answer this one!

There are quite a few reasons that we decided to homeschool. For one thing, we wanted to be the main influence in our kids lives and felt that it's virtually impossible if they're gone 6 hours a day, 9 months of the year, for 12 years! We also wanted to have more of a say in what they learn and what they don't learn. Not that I plan on sheltering them from things, but, for example, I don't want them learning the theory of evolution as a fact. We want to teach them from a Christian worldview, not the world's worldview.
Also, my home is safer than a school. They're not going to be pressured to try drugs or smoking or have sex, nor are they going to be gunned down by an angry classmate. In that aspect, I have no problem being called overprotective! I've said to many people that when school shootings happen, someone always seems to be saying, "We never thought it would happen here!" and I don't want to be that mom on tv, saying that.

And, lastly, as we've taken this journey, I've really come to realize how incredibly fast time goes anyway and I love knowing that I'm not missing out on anything. They'll be gone before I even realize it and I love it that I will have gotten to spend so much time with them as they grew.

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

August 26th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Oh good! I thought I was being selfish by saying that I missed him and didn't want someone else enjoying teaching him. I love being with him all day. I thought I was wrong for feeling that way.

August 26th, 2007, 08:55 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have so many reasons; it's hard to say just which ones are more important. I think mostly it is simply something I have always wanted to do since I first learnt about it about 16 years ago.

1. Childhood is fleeting and didn't want to wake up one day and realized I had missed it in the busyness that I see so many people in. I have heard a lot of people say Once there at school it flys by. Or looked at another way, I think schools take up way to much of kids and parents time.
2. I don't believe that having large groups of children together with inadequate supervision is healthy. Neither emotionally and physically. Most schools no matter how good the teachers or the equipment are not going to be small enough to not have the negative effects large groups have. Mainly peer dependence were a child's peers have more influence then parents. Fitting in with the group is seen as highly important even if that means submerging your own beliefs. it cultivates disrespect towards adults, an attitude of arrogance and meanness, with the haves and have nots. I hope by home schooling our family will have a stronger closer bond.
3. I really don't like being told what to do! Lol the thought of having to follow someone else’s (schools) schedule for the next 15 years sounds pretty much like jail time to me. being told when I can take my holidays (vacations) Having to go to bed early to get up early and be ready 5 days a week to catch a bus, to come home and get home work done on time, so you can go to bed early to get up early and so on and so on and so on...
4. I really want to be the ones to teach my kids to read! Why should a teacher get that excitement, I want to be there when they 'get it'
5. The kind of education I want them to have isn't found at school. Well certainly not the ones here. I plan to base their education around the Bible and chronological history.
6. I can go at their pace. At the moment that seems slow. I doubt my daughter would keep up in a class situation.
7. I am very against the general bringing down of formal education and it's goals to younger children on mass. Yesterdays grade 1 is now today’s K, and I think it is wrong, wrong, wrong. I don't believe school should start till 7. I am also against standardised testing or one size fits all education.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
August 27th, 2007, 12:07 AM
jonnysmomma's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to jonnysmomma Send a message via Yahoo to jonnysmomma
I am homeschooling Jonny this year because he is 3 and not pottytrained fully so he cant get into preschool. hes very mentally ready and I am ready too....but hes a stubborn little turd LOL I see no point in letting the next year float by, so I am taking matters into my own hands and found a preschool curriculum and Im doing it myself! I dont know if I will continue after this year....he really needs to be around other kids.

Proud Mommy of Jonny, 8/7/04! We are loving Kindergarten!

August 27th, 2007, 05:40 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Mainly we homeschool because we can and prefer it to sending my kids away to school for several hours a day. I was homeschooled and loved it. The schools here are excellent (some of the best in the nation), but that still doesn't make them a good place for kids to be.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

August 27th, 2007, 05:52 AM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Originally, we had planned on sending all of our kids to public school. My oldest was in public school until the end of 1st grade. In Kindergarten, I was beginning to feel the pull to homeschool because I just didn't like the way the school here did things. It made me mad when they would send field trip notes home saying either they had enough helpers and parents didn't need to come, or if you do come not to bring younger siblings, etc. I get pretty irritable and defiant when someone tells me what to do or what not to do. Especially when it comes to my kids. By 1st grade, he was beginning to have trouble keeping up, particularly in math. But since the teacher wasn't able to give him one-on-one attention, he was being left behind. By November of that year, he was diagnosed with Juvenile Diabetes. We trudged on through the year, dealing with after-school tutoring for math & trying to educate the school staff & nurse on his specific care for his diabetes. Things were just not going well and getting worse. By April, we had had enough. The nurse wasn't following our instructions on his care, the school staff was getting tired of dealing with his special needs, he was still failing math, and he was starting to have emotional break downs every day when I took him to school. This whole time we had been talking about pulling him out and homeschooling him, but we were going to try to finish out the school year. After a major incident with his diabetes due to the nurse's incompetence, we pulled him out at the end of April because we just couldn't see entrusting her with our son's life any longer. I finished out the school year homeschooling him and immediately saw a change in him. He was healthier, happier, and doing much better academically. That was all the proof dh and I needed. We homeschooled him all last year for 2nd grade and have just started 3rd grade with him and Kindergarten with our younger 2 boys.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

August 27th, 2007, 05:52 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We prayed about it and we feel this is the best opportunity for our children. We feel this is right. I don't agree with the way schools are now and I don't believe in paying someone to teach my child when I can do it myself. I, too, want them to have a Christian view on life and the world rather than a worldly view.

August 27th, 2007, 07:05 AM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We started homeschooling our children last year after the first six weeks of school when they were in the 1st, 2nd, and 4th grades. First, let me say that our decision to homeschool was not based on the fact that we were not satisfied with their school. We were very blessed to be able to send them there because it does a very good job academically. Also, the teachers were always wonderful and had the same beliefs that we did. We were just lucky in that.

Our greatest concern was that our children spent all day in school only to come home to do another 3 to 4 hours...sometimes more...of homework. They had a lot of homework before Christmas, but after Christmas, when they started preparing them for IOWA and LEAP, at least another hour of homework was added to what they already had. There was so much pressure put on those standardized tests that Madison came home from the first week of 3rd grade saying that she wasn't going to be able to pass the LEAP in 4th grade!!! I told her that she wasn't in the 4th grade yet and shouldn't be worried about it, but it was all she had heard for the past week...she was already scared.
On top of the every day homework stuff, there were the AR books that had to be read EVERY night. They were books that were chosen by the school that the kids had to read and then test on weekly. There would be only 5 questions per test, so if they missed a couple, they failed it. This grade averaged in with their classroom grade, so it was very important. Because Madison just COULD NOT read fast enough to read 3 or 4 chapters a night, which had to be done, I would read to them. So, after the 3 or 4 hours of homework was finally done, we would have to spend another 45 minutes or so reading. Now, I love reading to them, but like I said, we couldn't even chose the books we loved.
I remember one day when my children had come home from school and already spent an hour or so doing homework. My middle child, Patrick, got so upset and said, "I just want to have some time to play." It broke my heart because he was a first grader...a baby still....he SHOULD have had time to play.

So, a large part of the reason that we decided to homeschool was because we had NO family time. Our entire existence was trying to get our children through the school week...living for the weekends and the precious three months of summer vacation. I will never forget one evening when I was in my room alone after another very hard evening. I was horrified when the thought went through my head that I would be so happy the night that my last child graduated. I HAD JUST WISHED MY CHILDREN AWAY. It wasn't because I didn't like my kids at home. I was always the mom who didn't want to send them back to school after summer break. I LOVE LOVE LOVE being with them, and that's why it horrified me to have that thought. It was simply because our lives were too hard...no family time....staying mad at one another over homework, projects, AR, and grades that sometimes didn't even reflect what they really knew anyway.

We were frustrated with life as we were being forced to live it. We wanted more from our precious little time with our children than just trying to exist. When Jeff approached me about homeschooling, I barely even hesitated. The only thing that I had to do first was check into the local homeschool association to see what I could do for my children as far as socialization and peer groups. Wow! I had no idea that we had such a large homeschool association in our area. It is like a school peer group. The children all grow up together and participate in almost anything they could in a school setting. Last year, they even started a co-op, which gives parents the opportunity to put their children in small classroom settings taught by other homeschool parents for subjects of concern to them...or for the fun of it. They have organized sports, fieldtrips, field days, holiday parties at the skating rink, speech, scouts, year books, graduation, etc. I was amazed and so thrilled. We talked to the children and told them what they would be giving up verses what they would have. They all three wanted it as much as we did.

We are about to start our third year of homeschooling. It has changed our lives. We are no longer grasping for what precious little family time we can, but living as a family every day. Sometimes our life centers around our schooling....sometimes schooling centers around life. I have watched my children's confidence and self esteem grow as well as their knowledge. We have made so many wonderful friends in our homeschool association and have become a part of something so wonderful in the homeschool community. My kids continue to interact with the friends they had in school through church and other functions, like the ball park. In church, they have friends who are in the school system and friends who homeschool like they do.
I have told my children from the beginning that, if at any time, they want to go back into the school system that it is their choice. So far, they are still thanking me for homeschooling them.

I am not one who tries to convince everyone that homeschooling is the right choice for them, but it was the right choice for our family. All three of my children are thriving in it and I LOVE teaching them...learning with them. I thank God that our family had this option and just pray for his guidance in continuing it for the right amount of time. This might mean one day sending them back to school or teaching them until the day when we hand them their diplomas at the homeschool graduation. I just want to continue to do what we feel that He wants us to do and what our children are comfortable and happy with.

August 27th, 2007, 07:22 AM
grunig's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to grunig Send a message via Yahoo to grunig
We do it bc we want to raise our own kids, not have them raised by the school system. I don't want them to learn to conform but instead learn to love learning. The schools around here are terrible too so I had double the reason to do it.

Mom to Talen, Trent, and Thorne

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
August 27th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Thank you all so much for sharing those stories with me. I am so happy to have found a great homeschooling support system! I loved reading all of your stories! Thanks again.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search