help and ideas PLEASE!!!!!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 27th, 2007, 09:59 PM
wifey2kevin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to wifey2kevin Send a message via Yahoo to wifey2kevin
i need some creative ideas. my dd bday is in nov and she will be 1. the problem i'm having is that we live in north dakota, so its likely to be blizzarding out when we have her party. so we have to do something inside, but how in the world will i ever entertain 8-12 one to 5 year olds?? i've been stressing over this for a week or so now, and i'm just not getting anywhere with it!! any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated. tia!

Survivor Mom - My Blog

August 27th, 2007, 11:58 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ok so I am assuming you really want to invite 8-12, 1-5 year olds? Lol because I wouldn't unless they happen to be the children of adults you are inviting. I would make the party adult centred, with a few things to keep the kids amused because 1 year olds don't care and wont remember anyway.

Do you have a toy library near you? If you do you could hire some new toys for the party.

At my daughters 5th birthday the helium balloons were a huge hit. We had kids aged 4-7 at that and they all played with the balloons. If you buy good quality non should pop inside.

I would get a good size paddling pool and fill it with balls to make a ball pit. Taped well to a few of the balls I would have some pieces of paper with a little clue on it such as 'look under the cushion" or a picture of some kind of small prize. 1 for each child. Or you could have the child's name on it instead.

For my daughters third birthday I had my dh shred a lot of paper to fill a good size box and the kids went ballistic with it. I printed out animal pictures and cut them in half and added them to the paper box for the kids to find and match. You should have seen my lounge! You would have to watch the just one year olds with the shredded paper though.

Contact paper craft is a huge hit at my house. Even a one year old might do that, and the bigger kids love it too. My daughter is always asking for this craft. Simply cut out some pieces of clear contact paper and secure it to the table at each corner with some masking tape so it is sticky side up. Then have some containers of pre cut things the kids can put on. colourd cellophane works great as they are all see through when hung on a window. You would just have to be careful with the one year olds with that. Maybe have some pieces cut larger and some colourd Popsicle sticks (you can buy them in a large box) for the babies. Once they have finished sticking simple cover over with another piece of contact paper.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
August 28th, 2007, 04:46 AM
grunig's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to grunig Send a message via Yahoo to grunig
We always just let them play. It is hard to organize such a large group with such a wide age range. Look on familyfun.com for some good ideas as well.

Mom to Talen, Trent, and Thorne

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
August 28th, 2007, 04:54 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
We don't do kids parties until our kids hit 6. I found that's about the point at which the birthday child cares and remembers their party. Up until then we have adult parties with family. It happens that the adults we invite have no children, but if they did I would just let the kids play. It's hard to do organized activities with small ones and especially with that sort of range of ages.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

August 28th, 2007, 06:54 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Yep, I'm going with just let them play, too.

August 28th, 2007, 07:54 AM
Send a message via ICQ to alicialindsey Send a message via AIM to alicialindsey
I throw HUGE parties for Isaiah. When you're from Hawaii, its tradition to throw a big, extravagant first birthday party. (I don't know why...just is. ) Granted, we live in Oregon now, but even then we dont' worry about the weather because Isaiah's birthday is in May, but if he was born in a colder month and I had to throw him a first birthday, I'd hire (or do it myself) face painters, I'd have a ball pit, have a really pretty cake, I'd have party favors. It depends on how much space you have really. I think that a bunch of 1-5 year olds would like to have music on and for the oldest ones in the group, you could play musical chairs. You could also have a bubble machine and let that run for a while. (It may make your house a little wet.) You could do a small craft and really involve their parents. A Thanksgiving/Fall craft might be a good option so that they'll keep it out through the holiday. Or, you could change the theme all together. The middle of winter would be a great time to throw a beach themed party. You could UPS everything to you for a good price if you start early enough. Oriental Trading has an awesome selection and its very affordable.

Of course keep the toys out so that they have stuff to play with and keep them interested.

Oh, you could have a playdough party. Lay out a table and let the kids play with different colors and cookie cutters.
Oh, a cookie party is fun too. The kids can decorate their own cookies and then munch into it. Then, the birthday girl won't be the only one that has something super yummy to sink her face into. )

If I had a little girl (one day I will), I would want to throw her a CandyLand Party. You could have your home decorated in a CandyLand theme...complete with a path on your floor. You could make all the decorations yourself...including the cake!

I hope that helps. I'll post anything else that I come up with.

August 28th, 2007, 11:12 AM
wifey2kevin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to wifey2kevin Send a message via Yahoo to wifey2kevin
Quote:
I throw HUGE parties for Isaiah. When you're from Hawaii, its tradition to throw a big, extravagant first birthday party. (I don't know why...just is. ) Granted, we live in Oregon now, but even then we dont' worry about the weather because Isaiah's birthday is in May, but if he was born in a colder month and I had to throw him a first birthday, I'd hire (or do it myself) face painters, I'd have a ball pit, have a really pretty cake, I'd have party favors. It depends on how much space you have really. I think that a bunch of 1-5 year olds would like to have music on and for the oldest ones in the group, you could play musical chairs. You could also have a bubble machine and let that run for a while. (It may make your house a little wet.) You could do a small craft and really involve their parents. A Thanksgiving/Fall craft might be a good option so that they'll keep it out through the holiday. Or, you could change the theme all together. The middle of winter would be a great time to throw a beach themed party. You could UPS everything to you for a good price if you start early enough. Oriental Trading has an awesome selection and its very affordable.

Of course keep the toys out so that they have stuff to play with and keep them interested.

Oh, you could have a playdough party. Lay out a table and let the kids play with different colors and cookie cutters.
Oh, a cookie party is fun too. The kids can decorate their own cookies and then munch into it. Then, the birthday girl won't be the only one that has something super yummy to sink her face into. )

If I had a little girl (one day I will), I would want to throw her a CandyLand Party. You could have your home decorated in a CandyLand theme...complete with a path on your floor. You could make all the decorations yourself...including the cake!

I hope that helps. I'll post anything else that I come up with.[/b]
oh my gosh you are AWESOME!!! i LOVE the candyland thing. we live on base so our house isn't HUGE, but our kitchen and living room kinda run together so i could totally do a path and stuff. about he number of kids....my dh works in the rapcon(air traffic control) and we all just hang out together.....well, there was a HUGE baby boom that went on and is still going and kaylynn is right in the middle of it. so, if i invite one person from the rapcon, then i have to invite everyone. and i'm only thinking 8-12 will come based on how close we are with the parents....there are lots more that will be invited that i don't think will come. anyways, i'm going to get our candyland game out later and see what i can come up with. thanks sooooooooo much for this idea!!!

Survivor Mom - My Blog

August 28th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Send a message via ICQ to alicialindsey Send a message via AIM to alicialindsey
The candyland idea is great! I am so excited for you. If you choose to make the cake yourself, use starburst for the path, buy candycanes, you could make Gloppy out of chocolate cupcake, you can use white frosting for the snow party with the fairy person, and buy some lollipops for the lollipop part. Also, don't forget a variety of nuts for the nut part, but it might be a good idea to ask if anyone is allergic first.

You can make all of those decorations yourself using different kinds of paper from the craft store and the ENTIRE party would be an awesome page for the scrapbooks!
Good luck. Let me know if you need any more suggestions. Oh. and post pictures after too! )

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search