Im new. Lots of questions. Thanks in advance

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 28th, 2007, 02:16 PM
zoey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi! Im new to this board.
My baby boy was born May 22nd, and Ive been stressing about school ever since. LOL. We live in a rural area, and the schools aren't very good here. I would very much like to learn more about homeschooling because I think it may be the path for us. I read the post about "why do you home school" and I agree. I feel we can do a better job, I don't want someone else to get to enjoy him when Id rather. I actually had a bad dream the other night that really god Dh and I talking about this.
So some questions. Sorry a lot of questions
Whats it like?
Do your kids still play sports with the school kids? My husband said they do. What about Prom and other events like that?
Do other kids tease them because they are homeschooled?
Were you homeschooled, and did you enjoy it?
Dod you feel like you missed out on anything?
Did you go to a University afterwords?
Did you feel like people ever looked down on you?
Do you get sick of eachother. Hahahaha. I know, weird question, but since your together 24 hours a day do your kids ever not want to listen or learn because they need a change or someone else to listen to?
Any other info, advice, etc?
Thanks so much!!!
August 28th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Send a message via ICQ to alicialindsey Send a message via AIM to alicialindsey
I was very curious about all of those questions and still are. To answer some of those questions...especially the ones about prom and when they get older, I read "After Homeschool, Fifteen Homeschoolers out in the real world" by Tamra Orr. It helped a lot with "seeing into the future."

I went to the library and our local bookstores and got anything and everything I could read about homeschooling. I joined this group and I talked about it with my son's pediatrician. I really talked with my husband who is really supportive and he helped me to think about the things that I was somehow missing or things that I was really worried about.

August 28th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Whats it like? Some days stressful, some days great, always challenging and very rewarding. Lately it's been hard to get back in the swing of things but it's fun. To see him light up when he just gets it.
Do your kids still play sports with the school kids? My son is in karate so yep he's in with both home schooled and public school.
What about Prom and other events like that? I know there's a lot of home school groups have proms but I imagine that he'll also have public school friends he can go with.
Do other kids tease them because they are home schooled? So far Miguel has only got that he's lucky to be home schooled but he's still young
Were you homeschooled, and did you enjoy it? nope I wasn't home schooled
Did you feel like people ever looked down on you? not really
Do you get sick of eachother. Hahahaha. I know, weird question, but since your together 24 hours a day do your kids ever not want to listen or learn because they need a change or someone else to listen to? I think some times we need a break from each other but it's less often then you'd think. I'm also in school so I get away every night for 5 hours.

August 28th, 2007, 03:23 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
welcome to the homeschooling board.
Some of those questions I can't really answer, things with homeschooling over here in country Oz are a bit different to America or even to the city here.
Quote:
Whats it like?[/b]
We enjoy the lifestyle. it is much more relaxed.
Quote:
Do your kids still play sports with the school kids? My husband said they do. What about Prom and other events like that?[/b]
I know just recently the other family that homeschools at our church went to a sports day. I have not looked into it myself as I am not interested and my daughter hasn't shown any interest so far. She is involved with dance and belongs to a dance school here.
Prom is years way so I don't think about it. I know in America there are large hs groups who put on there own prom and have there own sport teams. That is not here yet, although it wouldn't surprise me if the larger city groups started something. Again prom never interested me, in fact I think I would rather be sitting tests then be made to go to prom
Quote:
Do other kids tease them because they are homeschooled?[/b]
No, but then my daughter is only coming up to 6. Her friend said (about Monday) "I have prep and you have to do homeschool" I wasn't sure if that was a negative or a neutral statement.
I went to State (public school) and privet school so I don't know how the homeschoolers feel. However if asked using ps instead of homeschool I would say I hated school, I would have loved to be homeschooled, I didn't do anything at school that would be missed as I hated everything except art class in primary (elementary) school. No I didn't go to university only lower colege called TAFE and did early childhood education. later I took horticulture via correspondence. Kids at school looked down on me all the time. It was a rotten 11 years and yes it coloured my view towards public and privet schools. School was one huge waist of time, as they couldn't even teach me to read, my father did. It was a jail sentence to get through.
Quote:
Do you get sick of each other. Hahahaha. I know, weird question, but since your together 24 hours a day do your kids ever not want to listen or learn because they need a change or someone else to listen to?[/b]
Sure some days they drive me batty, but I don't see that one negative outweighing all the other ones ps brings. One reason we started Sarah at dance was so she had another teacher apart from me. I haven’t found she didn't want to listen or learn because it was me doing the lessons.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
August 28th, 2007, 03:27 PM
*Sharon*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Whats it like? Different for every family, even for every child in each family. It is hard to answer this question because the answers could very so much.

Do your kids still play sports with the school kids? Belle took tee-ball through the rec this summer, she is taking soccer now. She has also had dance. And is always enrolled in swimming. When my children are middle and high school ages when they have sport teams I will certainly let my kids try out if they so choose. That is allowed. They have to make the team like everyone else though of course. Belle also does art, music, and field trips with the public school right now for fun.

What about Prom and other events like that? They are allowed to go yes. They can be in chorus, band, sports, gym, music, calculus, in clubs, a mathlete...

Do other kids tease them because they are homeschooled? not so far

Were you homeschooled, and did you enjoy it? Dh and I both were and we both enjoyed it!
Did you feel like you missed out on anything? not really to be honest
Did you go to a University afterwords? We both did.
Did you feel like people ever looked down on you? No.

Do you get sick of eachother. Hahahaha. I know, weird question, but since your together 24 hours a day do your kids ever not want to listen or learn because they need a change or someone else to listen to? lol! We are together a lot, but not 24 hours a day. Sunday school, kids programs (with the rec, private, or with ps), playdates at friends houses, visiting relatives (without mommy and daddy) are all the things the kids do. And I go out with friends and my dh sometimes too.

Any other info, advice, etc? Not that I can think of right now.

Sharon, wife to Noah; mom to Belle (12.5), Ryllan (10), Finn (6), and Zane (3).

August 29th, 2007, 05:39 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Whats it like?
It varies by family. Some do school at home, others never seem to be at home. For us, we do school a couple hours a day and the rest of the time do whatever we want.

Do your kids still play sports with the school kids? My husband said they do. What about Prom and other events like that?
Sports and other extra-curiculars depends on where you live. In some places they can play school sports and in others they cannot. There is always parks and rec sports teams and some places have homeschooled kids teams. Not all kids will want to play sports (I sure didn't and hope my kids don't!) and most kids in public school don't play on school teams. As for prom and stuff, who really cares. Actually, I still went to a prom with a friend. You don't have to attend a school to go to their prom. By the time my senior year prom would have happened I was engaged to my husband (who had graduated from high school a couple years before). Some places have homeschool proms. But I look at it like I once heard LeAnn Rimes say on Oprah. She was homeschooled and Oprah asked her about missing her prom. She said it didn't matter because look at what she was getting to do instead of sitting in class all day. To trade off her prom was totally worth it. ETA: My kids take gymnastics classes (not an option in public schools) and in a couple weeks Ani will be switching to Irish dancing (also not an option in public schools) and Cameron will be switching to golf lessons in a couple months (only an option in high school).

Never. My niece (second grader this year) can't understand why Ani would want to be homeschooled. Ani can't understand why my niece likes going to the public school jail all day every day. My kids have friends at church who are homeschooled so it's not like they are the only ones. They have lots of friends who are public school both at church and at gymnastics. Most of their friends either don't care or are in awe of them not having to go to school.

Yes and yes! It's a big reason why we homeschool our own kids.

Nope, nothing.

I went to college. I started correspondence courses at 14, physically at the college at 15, full time at 16. I got a degree in nursing.

Nope.

Do you get sick of eachother. Hahahaha. I know, weird question, but since your together 24 hours a day do your kids ever not want to listen or learn because they need a change or someone else to listen to?
Not so far. I never got sick of my mom either. It's not like we are/were together 24 hours a day. I am with my baby (13 months) all the time, and honestly when I only had a baby I couldn't imagine not being with my kid all the time. But I am definitely not with my almost 6 and 7 1/2 year olds all the time. They go play with friends or go outside and play and ride their bikes or go to the basement to play for hours at a time. Sometimes I have to hunt them down to see them. When I was a teenager I went out with friends, hung out at the mall, etc. like all the other teenagers. I wasn't with my mom all the time at all. I don't think my kids don't want to listen any more than kids who go outside the home to school. In addition to that, and even more importantly, I think it would be a bit sad to get sick of being with my kids. That's one of the perks of homeschooling. We get to be together as much as we want. We believe family should be the most important thing in our lives. Now that I am grown up I am still very close to my mom and she is my best friend and I talk to her daily and when she was out of town last week I really missed our conversations. I credit our relationship at least partially to homeschooling.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

August 29th, 2007, 06:16 AM
grunig's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to grunig Send a message via Yahoo to grunig
Whats it like? That is not an easy question. Sometimes it feels overwhelming and just too demanding of me and my time. At other times it just seems so natural, and flows so well. I think you will find that to be the case no matter what you choose though bc that's just life.

Do your kids still play sports with the school kids? My husband said they do. What about Prom and other events like that? No, my kids are only in elementary school. For now they play with the recreation centers and the YMCA. We have some Homeschool supported teams in my town though so that is probably what we will check into when they are older.

Do other kids tease them because they are homeschooled? My son has never been teased about it, but he is proud of it so I think the attitude he brings to the table makes a huge difference in the attitudes of others.

Were you homeschooled, and did you enjoy it? No, DH and I were public schooled all the way through.

Do you feel like you missed out on anything? What is there to miss out on? There isn't anything the schools have that can't be done outside of that realm.

Did you go to a University afterwards? Lots of colleges actually welcome homeschoolers bc they are better prepared for studying, etc.

Did you feel like people ever looked down on you? I think people are sometimes confused by our decision and want to know more to understand why we do it. But no I have never felt like anyone looks down on me or the kids. In fact I get told how great, and smart they are more often than not.

Do you get sick of eachother. Hahahaha. I know, weird question, but since your together 24 hours a day do your kids ever not want to listen or learn because they need a change or someone else to listen to? Sometimes I need a break from being a mom but what mom doesn't? That is what babysitters and a night out on the town are for. So no we don't get sick of being together.

Any other info, advice, etc? Pick up some of Linda Dobson's books. John Taylor Gatto, and Catherine Duffy are also interesting reads.

Mom to Talen, Trent, and Thorne

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
August 29th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Okay, I will see if I can answer your questions.

Whats it like?
Well, my oldest is 3 and we are mainly doing homeschool preschool right now, which means a lot of play, not a lot of structure yet. But we love it so far. I don't want to send her to preschool because I feel we are doing great on our own and I love teaching her. I myself was homeschooled and it helps me know what I do and don't like.

As far as sports go we live in a State that has dual enrollment which means my kids can play sports at the high school and still be homeschooled. There are also private sports they can utilize. Some states have a homeschool Prom with every homeschooler from the state. I just had friends in school that I went to dances with. I didn't go to Prom, but I went to homecoming and girls choice prom. What was nice is because of homeschool I knew kids from all over the state so I went to one high school's homecoming, another's girl's choice formal and even a few dances at the private school. It was nice because homeschool didn't limit me to one sphere and unlike the other kids I didn't go to dances with the same people I saw day in and day out. It was really nice that way.

I didn't really get teased. I had some siblings that did. But what is nice about homeschool is I think it becomes easier to see through the superficial teasing where you just don't care. It might bother a little bit, but more as an annoyance. I just had kids ask a lot of questions. I was secure enough in myself that no one really could tease me about it. Teasing is only fun for the teaser if it matters to the one being teased. And it didn't. I really didn't want to be at the school so I shrugged it off.

I did enjoy it. There were a few draw backs, most of them not anything big. Education wise it was the best choice my parents could have made. I learned so many wonderful life lessons and became best friends with my siblings.

Umm,... not really. I guess the only thing would be that there weren't as many homeschooled guys where I lived. But it wasn't that bad. There were friends I had in the other parts of the state. I had a great time with them. I didn't miss out on the gossip and backbiting. I was given the choice to take classes at the high school and just didn't want to be there.

I did go to college afterwards. I had no problems. I loved it! In fact where most of my friends- including my husband- were burned out by the time they got there and couldn't wait to be done, where I felt like I just wanted more. I still do and have been taking school on and off while having kids. I don't see it as a race and feel like I have all the time in the world to keep continuing with my education. That's one thing I loved learning, that education is life and that learning doesn't end with a diploma or degree. I spend my life learning, why not continue it with my kids?

Yes. I'll be honest, and they still do. But even though it can drive me crazy sometimes, it really is a lack of education in something they just don't understand. I get the worst guff from in-laws. I am confident though that they will eventually see the fruit of my labors when my kids will do just fine and thrive. My MIL has already been impressed that DD learned all of the alphabet sounds (thanks to Leap Frog letter factory DVDs).

I know being homeschooled I did get sick of my family sometimes. But who doesn't even when they are in public school? I actually think it happens less because we actually have more of a relationship with one another and there is respect there. I see too many public schooled kids not respect their parents and then the parents can't stand them and can't wait to send them out the door. It does happen, but with everybody you need some time away sometimes. A mother needs some space and so do the kids. That's why it is good to have activities for the kids.

Anyway, it really is worth it. Everything has its ups and downs, but homeschool just has way too many ups. Great education, higher scores than public school, closer to family members, no drugs, bullys, no agendas I don't agree with, no getting up at the crack of dawn to hurry to school and hurry to pick them all up and I get to be with the kids I created and raise them just the way I was meant to. Its just too good.

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

August 29th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Best comment of the day.

Quote:
That's one thing I loved learning, that education is life and that learning doesn't end with a diploma or degree. I spend my life learning, why not continue it with my kids?[/b]
Best comment of the day.

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
August 29th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Best comment of the day.

Quote:
That's one thing I loved learning, that education is life and that learning doesn't end with a diploma or degree. I spend my life learning, why not continue it with my kids?[/b]
Best comment of the day.
[/b]

Hey, thanks.

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

August 30th, 2007, 07:09 AM
Your welcome. That is exactly the attitude I hope my boys grow up to have.

</a>
August 30th, 2007, 09:48 AM
zoey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
THank you! I will check out the book suggestions. I really appreciate all your input!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search