She's a year old!!!!!!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 5th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Kangaroo510
HI EVERYBODY!!!!!!

It's been a while! I'm crazy busy with my wonderful little toddler! It's a busy life but I am really enjoying it. DH (Aaron) is super busy with work for the next few months so you'll probably be seeing a bit more of me than usual. He's got some week long business trips coming up. It's sad but the pay is great. Dahlia has become such a daddy's girl! I love it when little girls are daddy's girls!

I bought my first school book at a consignment sale a few weeks ago. I told myself that I wouldn't buy any "homeschooling" stuff until I actually started needing it but I found this awesome book for a quarter and couldn't pass it up. It's a three letter word spelling book and you flip the little letters to spell the words that match the pictures and then it has a little description of the picture... like the definition for the word CAT. It's really cool and it's going to come in handy. Found another one all about the human body. I'm a sucker for books under a dollar!

I'm trying to catch up on everybody here. I'm all over the place on JM right now. Checking out some new boards. Trying not to get too addicted.

It's funny how I don't want my little girl to grow up but I'm so excited about all of the cool homeschooling things we will get to do! Maybe I should borrow another homeschooled child and then I'll change my mind. Anybody got one to loan out? Just kidding.. if 105 children show up on my doorstep I'm going to give them all koolaid, brownies with icecream and pixie sticks and send them back home!!!!!!!!
September 5th, 2007, 01:44 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Awwww a year old already!? Happy Birthday Dahlia!!

That book sounds like a bargin, so yep I would have bought it too. No reason to wait if you find something super cheap. If later you find you have things you don't need it's no biggy if you have only spent quater.

p.s. Is a quater an actual coin? I know it means 25cents.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
September 5th, 2007, 01:47 PM
grunig's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to grunig Send a message via Yahoo to grunig
Happy late Birthday! My youngest turned 2 just 3 days after her.

Yes Jo a Quarter is a coin here. It has George Washington on the front.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarter...d_States_coin)

Mom to Talen, Trent, and Thorne

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
September 5th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Ok, I kind of thought it was, but wasn't sure. We don't have 25 cent coins here. Isn't george Washington on your dollar? Or is that Abe Lincon? lol or someone else alltogether.

September 5th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
George Washington is on our dollars. Abe Lincoln is on our $5 bills. http://elementaryteacher.wordpress.com/200...s-on-the-money/

A friend of mine had one of those books. I thought it was really nifty!

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

September 5th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Happy Birthday, Dahlia!!

What a bargain!! What is the name of that book, I would like to take a look at it !

September 5th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Happy *late* birthday, Dahlia!
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

September 5th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Kangaroo510
Sounds like we need to have an international money lesson! I know you use different currency, Jo, and if you started talking about it I would have no clue what's what. When I said "a quarter" I even wondered if everybody knew what a quarter looked like. I can send you one if you'd like! I can convert wight from pounds to kilos if need be. Had to do that when I was an EMT. That is the extent of my internation conversions!

The book is called "I Can Spell (words with three letters)" by Anna Nilsen. I was going to take a picture of it for you ladies but the camera on my iMac flips everything around so the letters were all backwards. It is really cute though! Dahlia loves it now but she has to be very supervised while using it so she doesn't tear out the flaps. My mom also bought a flip book with the United States capitols in it. I know it's sad but I don't even know all of the capitols. Don't tell Dahlia that! We will just learn together!

Thank you for all of the belated birthday wishes! It goes by WAY too fast! My birthday is right around the corner and I'm starting to feel old (Ok, I'm only turning 23 but I still feel old!)

September 5th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Quote:
I know you use different currency, Jo, and if you started talking about it I would have no clue what's what. When I said "a quarter" I even wondered if everybody knew what a quarter looked like. I can send you one if you'd like![/b]
I asumed you knew it was a diffrent currency But trust me, if I talked about our currancy you would know exactly what I was talking about as it's so simple lol. We have 5cents, 10 cents, 20cents and so on, what they are is what they are called. I know you guys have nickles (5c) and dimes (10c) right? because of tv shows like the Brady Bunch growing up! :lol Does your 50c coin have a name? or don't you have those? I would love to see some American money if you want to send some! I have never seen any, so that would be cool.

Quote:
Thank you for all of the belated birthday wishes! It goes by WAY too fast! My birthday is right around the corner and I'm starting to feel old (Ok, I'm only turning 23 but I still feel old!)[/b]
Acckkk! Old!! My birthday is on Saturday, guess how old I am... wanna trade, do ya do ya??
...........................................heres a clue I watched brady Bunch and Lost in Space growing up; 10 cents would buy me a small bag of lollies at the shop outside school and I when I was a little kid I watched the moon landing in black and white tv!

September 5th, 2007, 07:16 PM
grunig's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to grunig Send a message via Yahoo to grunig
50 pieces are called just that or half dollars. I have occasionally heard it called a "Kennedy" bc John F Kennedy is on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half_dollar_(...ed_States_coin)

Mom to Talen, Trent, and Thorne

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
September 5th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Kangaroo510
Jo - If you and the kids really want to see some American money I will gladly send you some! You would have to PM me your address. Coins I have.. it's the paper stuff I seem to be lacking! If seeing it online satisfies your curiosity then that website that Heather posted was kind of cool. I saw bills on there I didn't even know existed! Nothing like the real thing though.

I used to watch the brady bunch but I'm guessing it was reruns! I also remember one place by my house that sold 10 cent candy but that was only the little candies like tootsie rolls (which I have never liked) and "lollies" as Jo called them! Now a lolly or a "sucker" as I would call it is atleast a quarter if not more. Hey, isn't a quarter what started all of this money talk?

Gotta love Wikipedia!!!!!!!!

Happy Birthday Jo!

September 6th, 2007, 04:04 PM
You know I posted to this again last night but cyber space must have eaten it.

I posted about the lollies that I use to buy from the little shop outside my primary (elementary) school. They had large plastic jars all at child hight behind glass at the counter and each jar was labelled 1,2 or 5cents per lolly. A child's heaven. Even a 5c piece found of the ground would get you 5 jelly babies! There were jelly babies, black cats (ugg disgusting!) red skins, which were red and chewy and stuck to your teeth. Those would be probably be seen as raciest now as the wrappers had American Indians on them. Snakes, milk bottles, sherbet sticks etc. 20 cents would buy a decent bag to eat on the school bus. I have found memories of that little shop lol.

They also had lollies called 'fags' lol I bet if they tried to sell those now an angry mob would come after them! These were fake cigarette shaped lollies and came in a fake cigarette packet as well, can you imagine.

September 6th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Kangaroo510
Hmm.. Jo.. I hate to tell you this but I've heard of most of those things.... FROM MY PARENTS!!!! It's ok... you aren't old.. just well marinated and perfectly seasoned! HEHEHEHE

*Waving bye bye as Jeana gets tossed from the homeschooling board for being young and sassy*
September 6th, 2007, 07:22 PM

September 6th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Kangaroo510
I've been booted!!!!!

Ok.. you can't get rid of me that easily!!!!

September 6th, 2007, 08:07 PM

September 6th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Kangaroo510
Your springy siggy is really throwing me! I'm so ready for FALL!!!!!!

Can I please stay???? PLEASE???????
September 6th, 2007, 10:33 PM
Lol, just you behave you youngin, cause I am old enough to be your mother.

Yep it is spring here, September-November. So isn't it fall now too?

September 7th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Kangaroo510
I don't know when fall actually begins as far as the calandar goes but it's 90 degrees outside and everything is still green so it doesn't feel like fall. It won't really cool down here until October/Novemberish. Even then when I say it's "cool" it's only like 70's. Sometimes we get 60's that early. I think the coldest it got last year was like 30 degrees and that was really early in the morning. I'm ready for it to cool off though. I would much rather throw on a jacket to go outside than try to figure out how to wear the least amount of clothing without getting arrested.
September 7th, 2007, 02:42 PM
I would rather stay inside in front of the air con.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search