New School Year Poll/Fun Poll

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 5th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know some of you school all year round, but since a lot of us are starting back from our breaks, I thought I would do a fun poll about school that all of us can enjoy.

Here goes:

1. Do you remember your first day of school...whereever it was (public, private, home, etc)?

2. Who taught you how to write your name....how did you learn?

3. What are a couple of significant things that you remember from your kindergarten year?

4. Describe one of your favorite outfits that you wore as a child...to school or anywhere else.

5. Did you enjoy getting new supplies when school started back? What are some school supply items that still remind you of when you were in school?

September 5th, 2007, 09:18 PM
1. Do you remember your first day of school...whereever it was (public, private, home, etc)?
**Yes, I do! Kindergarten at my small public school was in a little metal building. I remember my desk being in the front of the room. My aunt was one of the teacher's aid. I can still smell that building if I think about it.

**I learned how to write my name in kindergarten. It wasn't like it is today where kids have to know all of that before kindergarten....we have pre-school/daycares that double as preschools to thank for that.
**I remember walking into kindergarten on the first day of school and finding my desk in the front row with a piece of tape across the top of it. It had my name written on it. The tape stayed on our desks until we learned to write our names.

3. What are a couple of significant things that you remember from your kindergarten year?
**The teacher holding colored plastic sheets up in front of a light and putting them in front of each other to teach us about combining colors.
**A song about colors where we were all assigned a certain color and had to stand up when we heard it.
**Sneaking Easy Bake cake mix packages to school in my purse and trying to eat it during nap time....my twin sister and I got caught!
**A girl named Marla who thought she was a cat.
**Having a paper tail pinned on me at recess for tattling.....it was a "tattle tail".
**My teacher, Miss Herring reading to us.

4. Describe one of your favorite outfits/or piece of clothing that you wore as a child...to school or anywhere else.
**My "fan" pants in the 70's. They were bell bottom, but when I sat down, they fanned out even more...like a fan. Man, I loved to wear those things!

5. Did you enjoy getting new supplies when school started back? What are some school supply items that still remind you of when you were in school?
**Didn't we all?!?
**Last year I was shopping for some school supplies and ran across paste...the kind that you unscrew and the lid has the stick on it that you dip the paste out with. Man, when I smelled that stuff, I might as well have BEEN SITTING in my kindergarten class. It was amazing.
**The Big Chief writing paper or any writing paper that is on that rough paper and has the dotted lines throught the center of the writing lines.

September 5th, 2007, 09:35 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh great I love your polls Sherry.

1. Do you remember your first day of school...whereever it was (public, private, home, etc)? Oh golly yes, that day is burnt into my brain unfortunately... It was on the ground floor of our local ps and inside still had the old wooden desks set up in rows. I know I was very scared and my mum asked me to draw a picture. I remember feeling better doing that until I looked up and realized she had snuck out. I cried my eyes out and I think the teacher (who was actually the nicest teacher I have had) had to hold onto me to stop me running off outside. I was upset for a long time. There was just me and one other girl who cried.

2. Who taught you how to write your name....how did you learn? I am not sure, probably my dad as he is the one who taught me to read.

3. What are a couple of significant things that you remember from your kindergarten year? I didn't go to Kindergarten. The year before my mother had tried me in some preschool (That’s like Kindergarten) but I was so upset she withdraw me. My first day above was grade 1. The two nice things I remember from that year is that I met my best friend the next day at the school bus stop and that my first grade teacher was such a lovely lady, she gave presents to us all at Easter and Christmas. I don't remember what the Christmas present was, but for Easter she gave us these decorated metal eggs that opened up and were full of sweets.

4. Describe one of your favorite outfits that you wore as a child...to school or anywhere else.
I had a blue dress, 2 shades of blue and white and I wore it till it was way too short. I have picture slides of my 6th birthday party and I am wearing that dress.

I know I liked getting a new bag or a new lunch box, otherwise I don't think I noticed new supplies too much except i did like it if my exercise books (do you call them that? the books you write in) had a nice picture of a puppy or a kitten or some animal on them. When I got older I would cover my exercise books and cut out the back to school book labels that the woman’s magazine would print out each year.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
September 6th, 2007, 04:03 AM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom

I don't really remember the actual first day of school, although I have vivid memories of kindergarten as a whole.

How sad...I don't remember! Things like that and reading are just things that it seems I've always known! It must have been in Kindergarten, though, because (as Shery said) we didn't have to know all of that before we went in.

Aaaaah, I LOVED Kindergarten! There was this old claw-footed bathtub that was covered with carpet where we could go and read and a great dress-up corner where we could play house. I remember that we learned letters by each one being a character and having a "catch phrase" - the only one I can remember is Mr. Tall Teeth (for T). I remember my mom being the "room mom" at different times and making toasted pumpkin seeds. I remember one day I got an earache at school and waiting in the front room (there were two adjoined rooms) for my mom to come and get me. There was a huge row of windows with a window seat that I sat on.
My little brother (who is now 11) had the same kindergarten teacher I had and it was neat to go up to school with him and my dad on the first day of his kindergarten and see the room again!

LOL, I can't remember this either!

I LOVED getting new school supplies!!! Those big crayons that were flat on one side so they wouldn't roll off the desk and fat Laddie pencils and Big Chief tablets, plus a new (metal!!) lunch box every year. (I sure wish my mom had kept some of those! I think my "Annie" one would be worth some money now!) Later on it was Trapper Keeper folders with the velcro flap to hold them shut. *sigh* Ahhh, the memories!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

September 6th, 2007, 04:49 AM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't remember my actual first day, but I do have some memories of Kindergarten.

I was just thinking about this the other day while watching Jared & Justin write their names. I have no idea about myself learning to write my name. I guess I learned in Kindergarten. I'm like Lisa, it just seems like it's something I've always known how to do.

Hmm, let's see. I know I hated Kindergarten. I had a mean teacher, and there was a boy in my class that was always mean to me trying to pick fights and then I would be the one to get in trouble.
There was another boy that I just thought was the cutest boy in the world. His name was Chance. I "fell in love" with him because he tied my shoe one day. But another little girl, Melinda, didn't like me looking at him because she liked him first. Aaah, kids.
I remember this big old "owl clock" thing that the teacher was using to try to teach us about telling time. And singing ABC's. I don't remember much else. I am told that I had an arguement with my teacher one day because she was telling me that my hair was black & I was determined it was purple! In truth, it's dark brown. I've always been particular about my hair color.

I had this hideous pair of pea-green, hip-hugger, bell bottoms. I loved those things and wore them all the time! You couldn't shoot me into something like that now.

I don't remember ever getting excited over new school supplies. It was just something I needed.
The things that stick out the most in my mind is paste, Big Chief writing tablets, & fat pencils. If I could find all that, I'd get them for Jared & Justin just for the heck of it. Although, I can't remember if the fat pencils actually did make it easier to control than a skinny pencil.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

September 6th, 2007, 05:09 AM
Quote:
I remember that we learned letters by each one being a character and having a "catch phrase" - the only one I can remember is Mr. Tall Teeth (for T).[/b]
Wow! I couldn't believe it when I saw this because this is the same program that was used with all of my children in Kindergarten at the public school. I remember Mr. Tall Teeth and Beautiful Buttons. I think there was a Silly Socks and a Munching Mouth. Wow! I still have all of the little pictures they colored of each one of them. I should scan them and send them to you as a momentum of your Kindergarten.
September 6th, 2007, 06:01 AM
grunig's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to grunig Send a message via Yahoo to grunig
1. Do you remember your first day of school...whereever it was (public, private, home, etc)? Yes, I was excited bc it was the school my own mother had attended, but I was scared to death at the same time. Luckily our principal was a family friend so I didn't feel completely alone bc I knew I could run to Ann if I needed.

2. Who taught you how to write your name....how did you learn? I don't remember. I think my mom bc I am pretty sure I could write it before I started school. We weren't required to either but my Mom was a K-4 teacher so I could read and write already. Ironically it was not from being in preschool bc I never attended. I stayed home with grandma and mom taught me in her spare time.

3. What are a couple of significant things that you remember from your kindergarten year? I remember coloring a picture. We had to color this person in the way we were dressed, etc that day. The teacher commented on how detailed mine was and I was so proud. I thought she was the coolest. I called her Ms. America, to this day i don't remember the poor woman's real name.

4. Describe one of your favorite outfits that you wore as a child...to school or anywhere else. Hmmmmm......as an older child it was a pair of stir-up pants with one of those long shirts. The shirt had pandas on it, and I topped it all off with black cowboy boots. Wow did I have a bad sense of style, but hey it was the 80's. LOL

Oh yeah! I get taken back when I see Trapper Keepers, and locker supplies.

I did the same alphabet people. We also had a puppet to go with it named Mr. Peabody. I thought he was creepy. The letter I remember the most was Annie Achoo.

Mom to Talen, Trent, and Thorne

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
September 6th, 2007, 06:12 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
All I remember is waiting at the bus stop at the end of our driveway with my sister.

My mom. I don't remember how I learned. I was 3.

- The teepee. We had a teepee in the classroom and it was the coolest thing to go into.
- Every week we had a letter of the week and the week we did "P" we glued pasta onto P shapes. I remember sitting at the table blowing on my paper to get the glue to dry and getting completely light-headed. It was our first experience with hyperventilation lol

I have never liked clothes so I don't remember any I particularly liked.

Yes. None.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

September 6th, 2007, 07:49 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't remember the first day, but I do have some memories. I, too, can smell the room if I tried.

I'm pretty sure I learned that in Kindy. I wasn't a big writer or doodler before that.

-I also had the Letter People. I remember a lot of them and looked into them for Eathan and geez! they are EXPENSIVE!
-I remember for Halloween the teacher's aid dressed as a witch and had a big black pot where she was making punch and she sang a song "stirring and stirring my brew" It haunts me to this day.
-I hated nap time!! I was never one that liked to stop what I was doing to go and sleep!!
I don't have any that comes to mind, so I'm going to assume I didn't have one.

Yes. I had a trapper keeper and I loved the fat crayons. It was always exciting to get a new backpack.

September 6th, 2007, 02:30 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Tisha have you looked at the DTLK Alphabet Buddies? Not the same as the letter people, but they are free. http://www.dltk-teach.com/alphabuddies/index.html

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
September 6th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I've seen those, but they don't hold the same nostalgia.

September 6th, 2007, 08:22 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
1. Do you remember your first day of school...whereever it was (public, private, home, etc)? I remember being excited until it was time to get on that BIG school bus! Past that, I don't remember much about my first day - just a few things from kindergarten in general.

2. Who taught you how to write your name....how did you learn? I guess it was in kindergarten, but I'm not sure.

3. What are a couple of significant things that you remember from your kindergarten year? Being bored, because I already knew how to read when I started school; being switched to a different class mid-year (due to overcrowding); meeting my first "best friend", Shannon.

4. Describe one of your favorite outfits that you wore as a child...to school or anywhere else. My mom and stepdad brought me back a ton of flowery culotte outfits from their trip to get married in Vegas. I *loved* them, but oh my gosh - they were all one-piece and button-up and were HORRIBLE when you really had to get to the bathroom in a hurry!!

5. Did you enjoy getting new supplies when school started back? What are some school supply items that still remind you of when you were in school? Loved back-to-school shopping. I remember it being all about the Trapper Keeper one year, and I was SO excited when I got a REAL Trapper Keeper (purple with a beachy sunset scene!) That sort of thing still takes me right back to elementary school.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search