What we've been up to

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 7th, 2007, 08:18 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I thought I'd say HI and give everyone a quick update as to what we've been up to as far as schooling goes.

We worked through the summer on just the basics with the older two. They completed an entire year's worth of math review in 12 weeks! I was so pleased about that. We are moving forward... not keeping track of grade levels because their skills are all over the place and so different even though they could be considered the same grade. Anyway, we're using A Beka for math, The Writing Road to Reading for spelling/phonics, and Primary Language Lessons for English. DS is using HWT while DD is using some "homemade" worksheets for cursive. They will also be memorizing states and capitals, and we use the Catechism for religion.

My 7yo is still reluctant to read, although when I get him to do it, he does very well. I don't know why he is balking, but it seems wise not to push too much. He loves math,though. We are using A Beka's math with him also. He's also doing First Sacrament prep as part of school, also handwiring and dictation of Aesop's fables.

Our 5yo is so gung-ho about everything. He really enjoys "100 Easy Lessons" but he gets tired so we break the daily lessons in half. He's using A Beka's kindergarten book, and he also shows a lot of enjoyment and aptitude for math. We do a little handwriting practice with the Easy Lessons, and I'm having him dictate Bible stories to make his own book.

All of the children also memorize poetry to recite for the family. Science, history, art, and music are all unschooled at this point. We go to the library weekly and we take out like 50 books at a time.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

September 7th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Sounds like everything is going really well. Glad to hear an update.

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

September 7th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Platinum Supermommy
It's good to hear from you!!! I'm glad things are going so well for you! I can't wait to see pics of the new baby. You don't have much longer.

September 7th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Don't remind me! I'm getting so excited and anxious to have a baby in the family again. It has been way too long.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

September 7th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm ready for a baby in my house too and I'm not even preggers yet. It's such a nice feeling to have a little baby in the house.

September 7th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Sounds great! And busy!

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

September 7th, 2007, 01:44 PM
grunig's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to grunig Send a message via Yahoo to grunig
OH I was so hoping to hear you had the wee one already. Sounds like you are doing great though!

Mom to Talen, Trent, and Thorne

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
September 7th, 2007, 02:56 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow sounds like your doing great! Lol I know if that was me at 37 weeks I would be veging in front of the computer!

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
September 7th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Quote:
Wow sounds like your doing great! Lol I know if that was me at 37 weeks I would be veging in front of the computer![/b]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search