How much social time is needed

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 9th, 2007, 02:47 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wouldn't look at how much or how little others are doing, but rather how does your daughter seem to be doing with the amount you do. Some people are introverts and find too many social occations stressful, others who are extroverts find that social situations are what they need to charge up. Maybe they have 10 diffrent activities because the parents themselves are extraverts and staying home is stressful. To me going out is stressful. My daughter is more social then I am but she seems for the moment happy enough. As she gets older she will tell you how much social times she needs. Sarah will be 6 soon and old enough to go to our church's kids club on a Thursday afternoon, she is quite excited by that. If on the other hand she was an introvert her reaction might have been "No I don't want to go" and that would have been fine too. A couple of things sounds fine to me.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
September 9th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy

Right now, my kids are only doing fall soccer. I don't like to have too many things going at one time because: 1) I can't pay for bunch of registration fees x's three! 2) I'm not going to run all over the county trying to get each child to his different activities every night of the week. I'd rather spend our time and money together as a family.

We also recently re-joined the local homeschool group. We haven't met with them yet, and I'm not sure how often they meet. Our first group thing will be a field trip on Sept. 28 to hear a missionary speak to the kids about the different countries she's been in and what she does as a missionary, etc. Jack is very excited about this and asks all the time how many more days. His curriculum this year is a geography based unit study with a focus on missions/missionaries. After the missionary field trip, we'll all be going over to the park for a picnic lunch and to let the kids play. I think they do this once a month. I think there's also a monthly skate day, and other field trips here & there. I'm not sure what else.

Anyway, all this seems to be enough for us for now. It works for us.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

September 9th, 2007, 04:34 PM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
I think it depends on a lot of things. We are a very active family... BUT I don't have to pay for any of the dance classes my kids take ( Declan takes 4 types and Ziah 1) , if I did then they probably wouldn't take. Declan also does Karate. We meet with friends and such and for us it's perfect. Even my my oldest was in school we were very active, and things have just gotten busier as the younger kids get older... I think finding what works for you and your kids is the key... it may be one activity a month, a week or more!
September 9th, 2007, 05:16 PM
grunig's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to grunig Send a message via Yahoo to grunig
At 5 years old we did seasonal sports only. Now that he is 6 and actually asking to do things we have gone a little nuts. We are doing Soccer, Karate, Piano (2nd year), Gymnastics, and Cub Scouts. Plus our Co-op on Wed and possibly Rock Climbing Saturdays. None of which is necessary but we are extroverts I guess bc I feel so much better getting out of the house with them at least once a day. Really they are socializing daily without all the extra activities. You take them out to stores, parks, etc. Hanging out with other kids is not the way to learn to interact with each other. Watching adults is how they learn. Don't stress about this at all. If you feel you and your kids are comfortable then all is well.

Oh, and we can afford it bc we paid off my van. If not for that we wouldn't be doing but 1-2 things either. I had someone ask me how we were able to afford it all the other day and that is how.

Mom to Talen, Trent, and Thorne

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
September 10th, 2007, 04:55 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I honestly think socialization is overrated. Somehow little kids manage to make friends no matter where they go. My kids are in gymnastics at the moment for one hour a week. They go to church on Sundays. Ani's now in Brownies. Soon Ani will start Irish Dancing and Cameron will start golf lessons (dropping gymnastics), also one hour a week. Sometimes they have playdates with friends and sometimes they go on field trips with other kids. They have friends in the neighborhood, too. I think that's plenty of socialization time.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

September 10th, 2007, 08:44 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
None of my children are regularly involved in any "social" activities. Of course, they practically qualify as a playgroup all to themselves.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search