Homeschooling older children

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 9th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi everyone! I hope you don't mind if I ask a question?! I have two older boys, ages 16 and 13. Both are struggling in public school. My oldest is skipping classes and I am afraid he wont graduate at all. My 13 yr old hates school because the kids are mean to him and the teachers don't take the time to explain things to him. He needs special help but doesn't qualify for special education. I am also not pleased with the things they are learning. I have been thinking about homeschooling them both. I figure I can make sure my oldest graduates and give my 13 yr old some special help he needs. I was wondering if anyone has homeschooled kids this old? What kind of things will I run into with graduation and the possibility of returning to ps for my 13 yr old? We live in Oregon right now and may be moving to California in the next year or two.
September 9th, 2007, 05:24 PM
grunig's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to grunig Send a message via Yahoo to grunig
I can tell you they would adjust and you would see different kids after a bit. I have 2 sets of friends that pulled their teenagers this year. We are only about a month into the school year here and they have already said they can't believe the change in their kids. Here are the laws for Oregon http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp?State=OR

Mom to Talen, Trent, and Thorne

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
September 9th, 2007, 05:48 PM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
I pulled my son at almost 12 , we are now 15 months into HSing and I have a different kid.. he;s stil not perfect (lol) but he's such a different all around kid.. and all the issues we had in the beginning are gone, and I am so glad I have my son back!
September 10th, 2007, 04:50 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
My kids are quite a bit younger, but I was homeschooled and can tell you that graduating was easy (my parents declared me graduated). The community college back then (1995) was confused by me wanting to go full time even though I should have still been in high school. They insisted I take the GED before enrolling in more than one class a semester, which I did. Now most colleges take the parents' word for it that the kids has graduated. I know many kids who have homeschooled a few years and then gone back to high school for a year or two. It works perfectly fine.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

September 10th, 2007, 06:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm not there yet as my oldest is only 11 and doing 7th grade. But i have heard that if you want to return your child to High School after a year or two out, you may need to prove that they earned their credits from an accredited school (entirely possible with homeschooling btw.) A public school will take them back without it of course, but may want to make them take extra classes so they get the "official" credit. I don't know if this is true everywhere, but I think it's worth looking into if you think they might return at any point.

I have known other teens to homeschool through high school and begin comm. college early as Heather did. I'm not sure about the GED thing though.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search