Starting in one week YAY!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 10th, 2007, 02:02 PM
jonnysmomma's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to jonnysmomma Send a message via Yahoo to jonnysmomma
Ok ladies....I start Homeschooling Jonny in 7 days! Im getting really excited. Im wondering tho, what time of day do you all think would be best for a 3 year old to learn? He wakes up around 8, and is in bes by 830, but rarely naps. Im hoping with some structure he will start napping again but im not banking on it. How long should the school sessions last? maybe start at a half hour and follow his lead? Any advice would be appreciate so much!!!

Proud Mommy of Jonny, 8/7/04! We are loving Kindergarten!

September 10th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hey Jeni!!! Oh how soon the fun will begin!!

I school Eathan 30 min - 1 hour TOPS! Usually it's 30 min. The time we start varies on Eathan's mood.

September 10th, 2007, 03:54 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
For a 3 year old the best thing is to follow his lead. Make any learning play based. Read a lot and keep it short. Also unless he is activly looking for some school, don't have any or few expectations. He may want to do what your planing or not. If he would rather go play with his blocks then let him. Some days his interest might be 5 minutes other days 45 minutes. Also don't do too many worksheets, small kids get easily burnt out on them, even if they love them at first.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
September 11th, 2007, 01:56 AM
jonnysmomma's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to jonnysmomma Send a message via Yahoo to jonnysmomma
I figured about 30-40 minutes. I know that kids his age learn best thru play....thats how hes learned what he knows...play and repetition. I dont intend on this being study hard formal schooling. He knows alot of what we are going to be learning already....he knows alot more than what is considered "normal" for a 3 year old. *brag lol* but I want the year between now and when he goes to actual preschool to be educational. KWIM?

Oh, and hes been asking about going to school for about 6 months now. where he found out about school is beyond me.....Pat and i have only been talking about school around him for the last 2 months......

Proud Mommy of Jonny, 8/7/04! We are loving Kindergarten!

September 11th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
He probably found out about school from friends or books or TV. Going to school is just everywhere in our society.

As for how when and how long, totally follow his lead. Some kids are best early in the morning, some in the evening, and some at some point in between.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

September 13th, 2007, 08:17 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
With Remy we do school when he asks to and when he is done we are done. But he loves to do school. Just keep following your little mans lead.

September 13th, 2007, 09:43 PM
dinamommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Tyrael is 3 too and we do her school in the morning after she has had breakfast. It is when she is most apt to learn, I think. Her belly is full and she's ready to start her day. We usually end up doing it around 10:00 or 10:30. However, there have been some days here and there where I've had an appointment or had to go shopping in the morning and then we just do it after she naps and has a snack. Our sessions usually last between 30 and 45 minutes. Like the other mommies have said, I just scrap it for awhile or until the next day if she's not into it. I think (if I remember right) that you and I are doing the same curriculum with our little ones. Aren't you doing the letter of the week too? Tyrael loves it!

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search