Homeschool Check-in

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 11th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
How is school going? What have you been doing lately? Anything going really great? Any problems?

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

September 11th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Well, we are currently taking our break because of the baby! She is 3 weeks old now!
I really want to get started again, but I've been exhausted from no sleep! haha! Ds has asked time and again if we could do stuff because he is bored. I feel bad, but I just can't teach right now! I gave him a couple things he could do on his own. Mainly color/activity type books of spiderman and superman and he's been keeping busy with those. But he is anxious to start up again...
Problem is, we will be moving to TN in a month and I know I won't be able to do it during the move either... Looks like we'll be starting school in November!! Do you think that is way too late?

September 11th, 2007, 12:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Well, school doesn't start for us until next week. I'm finishing up all my preparations, making flashcards and stuff. I still do reading lessons with Xander. We're now almost done with The Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading. I recommend this book to anyone! Xander really flourished with it, he would've been reading sooner if I had gotten it earlier. It amazes me how good at reading he is. He reads anything and everything he can find.
September 11th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
After my little melt down last week, we're doing better here. Jack is still taking all day to do his work, but I've decided that if he misses out on doing stuff (especially when his dad is home) then that's just too bad. He honestly does not have THAT MUCH work. What he has daily should only take him about 3 hours MAX! But he just drags it out. It drives me crazy, but I just go on with what I need to do after going over the lesson and leave him to do the work on his own. I told him that if he has a problem with something to come find me and I'll help, but I'm not going to sit at the table with him all day long.
Jared is usually done in an hour or less. He absolutely loves his school work. And he's doing amazingly well. He has proven to be more interested in doing academics more than anything creative. He likes the creative stuff, but he'd prefer to just get it done and out of the way so he can move on to something more interesting, like math. I have no idea where he gets that from because dh and I both love to be creative. Jared could care less about it. He hates to color, he's not real fond of crafts, but he will play with playdough. Although when he does, he likes to have a guide showing him what to make and what steps to take to do it. He's hilarious!
Justin has become a Kindergarten drop-out. He does fine with learning the letters & sounds and participating in our science/Bible lessons. But his fine motor coordination is not up to where it needs to be for some of the work, like writing the letters/numbers with a pencil, cutting things out, etc. and then he gets all freaked out and has a major fit. Basically he needs to mature some and develop his fine motor skills more. I had a little talk with him last week (because he really really wants to be "in school" with his brothers). I told him that he's still "in school" but we're going to work more on teaching his hands what his mind wants to do because they're still little. He liked the way I put that. At first he didn't like me telling him that he still had little hands, but then we compared his hand to mine and he decided that maybe his hands are still little. So when Jared is working on a worksheet (writing letters or cutting out), I give Justin some paper, scissors, & crayons to work with. I also let him practice writing letters & numbers in flour or sand or something like that.

Other than our "regular" school, we're currently watching ants in our ant farm, waiting for our butterflies to break out of their chrysalides, & watching grapes turn into raisins. Every morning Justin wakes up and has to go check on the caterpillars still hanging in their chrysalides. He always asks, "Did ya'll check on the callapillars this morning?" He's so cute! He just can't wait for them to be butterflies.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

September 11th, 2007, 02:26 PM
lblackst's Avatar Super Mommy
Candice is doing ok. Still struggling with reading comprehension, but doing well in math. She's in 6th grade. Rodney is a 2nd grader, but working on preschool skills because he is severely mentally disabled. I even wrote a homeschool IEP for him!

<div align="center"><span style="font-family:Verdana">“The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live.” </div></span>
September 11th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Well when I made my post about school being non existent it totally was about actual lessons. I swear I'm so dense sometimes. My blonde roots are definitely showing!! I really got to thinking and Eathan and I have been doing "school" the whole time. We went to Wal-Mart the other day and I got the game Hi Ho Cherry O for him. I loved that game as a kid. Well even with the revisions they made to the game the concept is the same. Eathan loves it and we play it at least once a day. I'm hoping that will help with his one to one correspondence. It will work if I can get Garrett to stop eating the cherries!! I've still been reading to them daily. We are currently going through our DR Seuss books and Disney stories. For bible we are doing the Armor of God. I got him a book about it and have found some sunday school activities online that we are doing. I got him the dress up set too which he LOVES! Anywho, I guess just the actual lessons or planned activies are non existent. We are flying by the seat of our pants when it comes to school. It's working for us and that's the point, right?

September 11th, 2007, 08:36 PM
Veteran
School is going really well for us so far. This is our 4th official week. I can empathize with you Jenn because my 8 year old drags her feet all day too. On the other hand, I have noticed she has moved up about two grade levels in her reading skills since last year. She is almost like another child. Also, she has started teaching herself multiplication. I explained it to her once or twice and she has just "gotten" it! I have noticed that she dreads sitting at the table for school work. This is a big issue for me since I don't want my baby and my baby nephew to tear up all her school work when she leaves it in the living room!! I am beginning to see a huge change in her maturity level this year.

My four year old has found that she really loves to cut and paste everything. Other than tha, she wants nothing to do with school work. I do however catch her writing letters on her Magna Doodle. It is neat to see them because, although they arent real words, she often uses a lot of the same letters in the same order. I am hoping that means something is clicking?? Anyway, I would love to hear how everything is going with the rest of you.

KB-9
BM-5
ER-2

September 11th, 2007, 11:16 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We are still doing our Japan unit. So far we have made a pair of clogs, made a kimono collarge, had a Japanese dinner and done some origami. We did 'Grandfather’s Journey' today (FIAR book) and went back and forth with our paper steam ship from Japan to California on our globe.
I have a couple of photos including the clogs that Sherry wanted to see and Sarah with her toothless gap lol, but they are on dh camera so I will get them when I can.

Apart from that it is only 10 days till Daniels birthday so I am starting to make the sugar paste vegetables at night for his Rabbit's garden )Whinnie The Pooh) cake and cleaning up the house. I bought a character set off ebay, although they are a bit large lol, giants in the garden from eating too much honey maybe...

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
September 12th, 2007, 08:30 AM
*Sharon*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It is going pretty well here. We are currently in our 6th week of the year.

A brand new, and exciting, thing is that the hs'ing group here now has a program called Learning Mondays. A bunch of us get together on Mondays from about 9:30-2:30. And the kids have classes...Belle is with the 1-4th graders right now. She is taking art, music, Spanish, gym, and astronomy. Ry is doing gym, sign language (if he can handle it otherwise no), and art...the rest of the time the little ones play and listen to books. The moms can go to a variety of workshops right now there is knitting and scrapbooking going on and those will change in a while. Also starting next Monday I think we will be having a yoga class or aerobics class for moms who want to attend. And the mom's have a planning meeting too. We also plan to have special speakers come often...firefighter, forest ranger, police officer for all ages. Belle, Ryllan, & I all had a great time.

Belle is also currently doing soccer. Next Tuesday her girl scout troop starts meeting again. And Ry and her are both taking swimming lessons.

We are reviewing history and language that we covered last year because we hadn't done it in quite a while. We were focusing on math in the spring and those two subjects were pretty much dropped. But she is remembering pretty well as we go over them. I am not sure when we will start covering brand new material in those subjects, but she is learning more as we review them though as she is older and such.

We are studying mammals right now in science...using Kingfisher's First Encyclopedia of Animals. She loves science. We will also be going to the science center often with a group of hs'ers starting shortly. The schedule and lessons are being discussed and planned right now. We did this last year as well and it was fantastic.

Sharon, wife to Noah; mom to Belle (12.5), Ryllan (10), Finn (6), and Zane (3).

September 12th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Story's Avatar French Canadian
School going fine, but we have difficulties with Mačva paying attention to what she's doing..
She's like "oh, I don't feel like school anymore, I want to play" in the middle of an exercise..

Mom to Mačva (11), Nadjat (9) and Klaus (5)

September 12th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Quote:
She's like "oh, I don't feel like school anymore, I want to play" in the middle of an exercise..[/b]
Lol, that is totaly what little kids are like. My daughter has done the same exact thing.

September 12th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yeah, Jared's thing is, "I'm tired" when he doesn't want to practice his writing.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

September 12th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Oh yes Sarah says that, not so often to school anymore, but when it is time to pick up toys and stuff.

September 12th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Ani's claim of choice is "I'm hungry." Cameron is usually "too tired." Somehow it always seems like they are tired and/or hungry when it's time to clean up.

Smaller on the Outside

September 12th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Story's Avatar French Canadian
Happy to see I'm not alone

so what you are all doing about it?
Do you let your child do what they want or do you ask them to finish what they were doing first?

Mom to Mačva (11), Nadjat (9) and Klaus (5)

September 12th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Depends on the age I think. IMO young children under 5 should pretty much totally call the shots. Up to that age I would ask them if they wanted to do school and stop as soon as they wanted. Between 5-7 I expect some things, like now I tell my daughter (nearly 6) it is school time, if we are doing some math sheets say, then I require her to finish at least one. If there is a line to practice letters on then I ask her to do at least 3. If something stops school that's ok though, like today my friend rang up at 9 this morning and asked to come over, so Sarah had a good 2-hour play date with my friends younger dd. If my kids are playing really well outside and she says she doesn't want to do school I will make school later and shorter. If I remember rightly your daughter is 4? In that case if she said she wanted to go play I would say fine and pack it away.

September 12th, 2007, 08:14 PM
I tell them that if they are tired they can go to bed and too bad if they are hungry, they can wait until the next meal (I only say that because I know she ISN'T hungry, it's just her stalling tactic). Somehow cleaning up always seems better to them than going to bed.

Smaller on the Outside

September 12th, 2007, 09:14 PM
dinamommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Preschool is going well for us. Tyrael is retaining a lot more info than I thought she would and it's so fun to see her learning and having fun doing it! I had a hard time last week because of Labor Day and felt like I had to cram extra stuff in the other days to make up for that one. Since the curriculum is set out for 5 days a week with a different thing each day (letter, number, color, shape, etc.), I feel stressed if I miss a day here or there. I guess I need to just learn to relax a little more and go with the flow. Also, my little niece goes to preschool (the same one she went to last year when she was 3) and my sister said she has come home with the EXACT same projects she did last year the first two days of school. She is a little peeved because she is paying like $55 a month to send her there. She started asking me about my curriculum today, so maybe my niece will start up what we are doing soon! That would be cool!

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

September 12th, 2007, 11:27 PM
Stellaluna's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Apart from that it is only 10 days till Daniels birthday so I am starting to make the sugar paste vegetables at night for his Rabbit's garden )Whinnie The Pooh) cake and cleaning up the house. I bought a character set off ebay, although they are a bit large lol, giants in the garden from eating too much honey maybe... [/b]
That sounds tooooooooooooo cute...you better post pictures!

<span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS">Homeschooling Mom to Sam (3-21-02)

My Photography Website

My Blog - Pollywog in a Blog</span>
September 13th, 2007, 12:47 AM
I sure will! So far I have made the carrots, cauliflower and a pumpkin vine. Tonight I will add the carrot tops to the carrots that don't have them yet and make 2 pumpkins. Hopfuly that will be enough vegetables. I tried making lettuce but they didn't look so crash hot lol. Sarah says I should make tomatoes too, but I am not sure how making a tomato bush would go...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search