I need some advice!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 13th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I hope you all don't mind me coming here for some advice. I'm an active member of JM, but have never posted on this board before.

I have a 12 year old son who is having anxiety and depression issues and will not go to school. He has started counseling and also medication. Unfortunately these are things he probably gets from me. He also had some issues about 5 years ago and was on medication for a short period of time... but he eventually got back into the swing of things and stopped having difficulty with going to school. I've been trying hard to get him to at least go to school and sit with the school counselor, but he's gotten to a point that he isn't even willing to do that. The school counselor has said that she has already stopped the truant officer from coming to get my son several times but that eventually he is going to come. I'm not sure how soon I will be able to get my son to go to school. He just had a major meltdown after finding out about the truant officer wanting to come and get him and make him go to school.

So, what I would like to know is if there are any of you that have started home schooling for reasons similar to this? I considered homeschooling him years ago when he first had issues... but then I figured that would make his anxieties worse but not making him face his fears. I don't want to further ingrain in him whatever the fear is that he is having. But, I am running out of options and just don't know what the right thing to do is.

If you've got some adivce I would love to hear it. The idea of home schooling does scare me a bit. I'm not sure if I've got what it takes to do it. Education is so important and I want to be sure he is getting the education he needs. Also if you have any resources for places to look for information on all the rules and guidelines. I really am clueless! I'm in the state of Arizona... I'm assuming there are laws that are specifiic to each state???

Thanks so much!

Peggy

</div>
September 13th, 2007, 03:58 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome to the board!
So sorry your son is having such stress. IMO homeschooling generally helps kids with issues rather then making things worse. It allows them to relax and de-stress. While I agree that facing fear is sometimes the right thing to do, if your son is an introvert then group situations most often don't change things. Kids learn coping mechanisms to deal with the stress of being around a large group everyday, but I don't believe the stress of coping ever goes away.

Here is the HSLDA link to Arizona hs law. http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp?State=AZ You are right each state has it's own specific laws. Arizona appears to be an easy state. I would find a local hs group and find out the details from them, such as how do you get in contact with the superintendent and if they have a sample letter you could use. Sounds like all you need to get started is to unenrolled him from school, then send in the letter of intent.

There are a few ladies on here with older kids who should be able to help more with some guidelines for his age group. The main things really are LA and maths, the rest is gravy. Don't try and do too many subjects for too long to start with. Your son will probably need some deschooling or down time first. http://home-educate.com/unschooling/deschooling.htmThen http://www.livingjoyfully.ca/unschooling/g...deschooling.htm Gradually add in LA, maths, science etc. These days there are heaps of different curriculum’s available to help you with any subject you can imagine.

feel free to ask us questions.

p.s I love the siggy of your baby eating!

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
September 13th, 2007, 07:13 PM
grunig's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to grunig Send a message via Yahoo to grunig
And welcome!

Mom to Talen, Trent, and Thorne

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
September 13th, 2007, 08:07 PM
wifey2kevin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to wifey2kevin Send a message via Yahoo to wifey2kevin
hey peggy!! i'm so glad you decided to consider this option....thats why i suggested it in the thread in our pr. i don't have any btdt advice perse but i just wanted to tell you not to worry about teaching him what he needs. my mom, as you know, homeschools all hers and she homeschooled me. she homeschooled me till 11th grade and my sis is now in 10th grade and she is homeschooled....and very smart. there are so many things out there to help you....i have no doubt that you would do ECXCELLENT!!!! i hope things work out for yall!! (((((HUGS)))))

Survivor Mom - My Blog

September 13th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I have no more advice to add other than go for it. Welcome!

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

September 16th, 2007, 08:39 PM
missmindy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This is part of the reason that I took my daughter out of "regular" school. But, I was kind of scared and overwhelmed at the thought of doing it all on my own. But I was able to find something more structured, but still home-based. My daughter is attending the California Virtual Academy using the K12 curriculum, we are entering our third week, and she's really finding her groove with it. They do have Virtual Academies in other states, including Arizona. http://www.azva.org/

Hope whatever you decide to do, your son is able to relax and enjoy learning.
September 17th, 2007, 02:04 AM
lblackst's Avatar Super Mommy
My daughter was having a lot of anxiety that was school related. Homeschool has really helped and she is doing very well. She is in the 6th grade. I'm g;ad that other states have that virtual academy and I wish SC did. If you can homeschool, then definitely consider it. There are other options, but in my humble opinion, they aren't as "complete" as homeschooling. There is a medical necessity "homebound" option in some states. A doctor has to fill out paperwork, and then the public school district sends out a teacher to work with your child. Unfortunately, they usually try to make it as little time as possible. My son was on this and they came out 1 hour every 2 weeks! Ridiculous!

<div align="center"><span style="font-family:Verdana">“The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live.” </div></span>
September 17th, 2007, 02:05 AM
My daughter was having a lot of anxiety that was school related. Homeschool has really helped and she is doing very well. She is in the 6th grade. I'm g;ad that other states have that virtual academy and I wish SC did. If you can homeschool, then definitely consider it. There are other options, but in my humble opinion, they aren't as "complete" as homeschooling. There is a medical necessity "homebound" option in some states. A doctor has to fill out paperwork, and then the public school district sends out a teacher to work with your child. Unfortunately, they usually try to make it as little time as possible. My son was on this and they came out 1 hour every 2 weeks! Ridiculous!

<div align="center"><span style="font-family:Verdana">“The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live.” </div></span>
September 17th, 2007, 02:08 AM
My daughter was having a lot of anxiety that was school related. Homeschool has really helped and she is doing very well. She is in the 6th grade. I'm glad that other states have that virtual academy and I wish SC did. If you can homeschool, then definitely consider it. There are other options, but in my humble opinion, they aren't as "complete" as homeschooling. There is a medical necessity "homebound" option in some states. A doctor has to fill out paperwork, and then the public school district sends out a teacher to work with your child. Unfortunately, they usually try to make it as little time as possible. My son was on this and they came out 1 hour every 2 weeks! Ridiculous!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search