Feeling inept!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 19th, 2007, 01:36 PM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
Ok as some of you know we've had a really rough week over here... I am
starting to really think maybe I am clueless in this whole HSing a
teen thing. On a normal day he does his work.. mostly with little to
no input from me.. it's all straight forward.. he's not into projects
or anything that would make it more hands on.. the few posters, etc
we've done have been like pulling teeth. He knows the "nuts and bolts"
well.. the only subject he's not ahead in is Math.. it's just not his
strong suit. Slowly but surely he's getting up to grade level with
Math U See. Overall I feel most of his "book work" is very dry and
maybe that's 1/2 the issue? I just don't know how to engage a 13 year
old while keeping the 5,3, and 2 year olds at bay! SO needless to say
I feel rather inept at this point and am questioning if maybe he would
be better off back in school..

So ladies with the older kids..maybe ones who haven't always
HS'd...what do you do with them???
September 19th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This really isn't an issue for me because mine are all so close in age. While Madison is 11, the boys are 9 and 8, so that isn't a big age difference.

I can, however, give you the link for a blog that is very impressive. This lady has an older son as well as younger children. The older son is VERY ingaged, but leads a lot of it. If your son doesn't like this stuff, then it might not work. Go have a look....scroll down through some of last school year's months. I think you will be impressed!

Lopez Home Learning
September 19th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I love La Paz Home Learning (the link Sheri gave). But, that might not work so well for Noah since it's all projects and activity based. That's what works for her kids. Perhaps you can sit down and talk to Noah (maybe with something like the Rainbow Resource catalog) and talk about what he'd like for school. He could be really bored because things are too dry for him. I know you've said that you needed to use Alpha Omega/textbooks with him since he was used to public school. Perhaps he has gotten that out of his system and is ready for some non-typical-school sort of education. When I was Noah's age my parents let me help pick out what we used for school. I was in charge of my education in a lot of ways and was on my own for a lot (with my parents guidance and oversight of course).

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

September 19th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My advice coming from someone who was a homeschooled teen and math not being my strong subject either. What my parents did to help was they got me a tutor for what I didn't understand. The other thing is if you live in a state that has dual enrollment you could send him to school just for a math class. It is nice to be able to get the math from a teacher and have a different view on it. Or if you have a community college that has open enrollment, they will often let high schoolers take classes from them in addition to their homeschool. My sister did this and she did have to talk to the Dean and he evaluated if she was ready and able to take one class. Sometimes they can just try it online to see if they like it- our community colleges have the age has to at least be 14 to attend. Homeschool is worth it for all of the other things it gives. If he wants other friends, finding activities with older homeschooled kids might help and if it is the case of wanting some help in one or two subject areas you can find if there is a way to supplement there, without sending him fully to school. Which is so hard and takes away so much of the freedom to do the things that he really loves and the freedom to learn at a faster or slower pace. Anyway, good luck- and don't second guess yourself, you are a great mom!

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

September 19th, 2007, 06:34 PM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
Thank you all! I think I am going to take a bit from each of you! I purchased the 8th grade CAT test and we are going to see where he scores as I know he is way above for most launguage stuff.. I find myself still teaching for the portfolio and that's nuts.. I know he hasn;t finished 8th grade but I think he scores can tell us where we need to focus..kwim?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search