How young is too young?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 21st, 2007, 10:33 PM
Regular
I am the mother of a 4 1/2 year old. My husband and I have recently decided that we wanted to home school her. She seems very bright and is able to understand what she is taught (such as knowing her alphabet, being able to count to 20, identifying colors, following directions, etc).
Is she old enough for us to begin teaching her at a kindergarten level? Should we wait the six months or so for her to become "of age"? Or should we wait the entire year and start teaching her when she's technically supposed to start school (at 5 1/2)?
September 22nd, 2007, 05:01 AM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
G'day and welcome to JM!

One of the benefits of homeschooling is going at your child's pace. If you think she is ready for K level 'work' then try it out and see how it goes. If you follow your Childs cues you can't go wrong. So if she seems interested and engaged keep going, if her interest is flagging or she appears tired, stop. If she says she has had enough or doesn’t want to do school then let her go play. Also K should be fun, so plenty of games, craft and activities and not too much book type work. I wouldn't be concerned with what the ps are doing, because they only do what they do because they are dealing with large groups of children and have to work to a system.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
September 22nd, 2007, 05:55 AM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
I think that Jo gave great advice, so I just wanted to welcome you to the homeschooling board!
Glad you're here!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

September 22nd, 2007, 07:11 AM
dinamommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree too. It's totally up to you and how you think your daughter will do/is doing. Have fun doing Kindergarten!!

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

September 22nd, 2007, 07:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree that it's up to you and what you think your child is capable of doing. And I definitely don't think it's too young... my 4 and a half year old is doing first grade work. But kids develop at a different rate... I know that my Lucas won't be ready to start kindergarten work until he's probably the 'right' school age. Take your cues from her!

And welcome!
September 22nd, 2007, 10:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Just wanted to ditto the other ladies. My little girl is 3 1/2 and in some ways she is way advanced for her age and in some things is on the level of K. I just go with where she wants to. If it seems a little over her head and she doesn't get it, I back off. We do a lot of crafts and creativity and games. She has the reading foundation right now and I am not pushing where she doesn't want to be pushed, but when she shows interest in reading, I go as far as she has the patience for at the time. There is no rule that says what age to start them when you homeschool.

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

September 22nd, 2007, 06:00 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Definitely take your cues from her. Does she want to do school? Or why not just keep doing what you've been doing. You've been teaching her obviously (since she's already learned all that) without calling it school.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

September 23rd, 2007, 08:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm going to ditto everyone else! I leave it up to my son as well and follow his lead.

to the board!!

September 25th, 2007, 05:48 AM
Regular
NEVER TOO YOUNG! START PLAYING with your baby and teaching, stimulating as early as possible -- 6 month. Read the amazing story of how God helped this Christian, Homeschooling Family have four of their nine kids start college by the age of 12! Here's a link to a new e-book on crafts and activities for little ones, babies, toddlers, young children: http://www.collegeby12.com/

September 25th, 2007, 06:12 AM
moms_soccer_team's Avatar Hoping 4 a happy 2010
Just wanted to say

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search