Homeschool Check-in

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 24th, 2007, 07:58 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
How are things going with school? Anything going great? Anything giving you problems? Making any changes?

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

September 24th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We took last week off for the new baby, but I'm having the kids do a little bit of school today. We will take it easy all week, but they really need to be doing something. The boredom is getting to them.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
September 24th, 2007, 10:12 AM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
We are having a MUCH better Start to the week over last week! Declan did a ton of work today including finishing up his Sight Word book. Noah is not yet done but has given me zero issues and I am so glad!!
September 24th, 2007, 10:44 AM
moms_soccer_team's Avatar Hoping 4 a happy 2010
Busy here lol

Emma isn't wanting to do her pre-k software but want to keep doing her workbooks. Oh she is subborn!

I use the time she is on the computer to work with Sebastian and Wesley.

On a good note I am using up some of the pre-k workbooks that I have had for awhile(I was just making copies)so I have part of a shelf open

September 24th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't even want to go there today. Suffice it to say, every day is a struggle with Jack. He wants to stay home and be homeschooled, but he just simply doesn't want to do the work. Jared, on the other hand is doing great & is loving it.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

September 24th, 2007, 11:48 AM
amizsan's Avatar Veteran
Hi, I actually haven't been on here in a while, I think since we got our books way back in August. But I thought I would check in. Things are going o.k. here....most days are kind of crazy, but we are still trying to find our way of working. (That and most of my teaching stuff is in boxes since we have our house on the market I have to keep digging through boxes in the garage to find what I want for the younger 2...I was hoping to be moved and settled by now.) I think we would probably be more in a schedule if we were moved. I'm always afraid we are going to get a call from our realtor saying we have a showing (which has happened a few times) and then it is the mad dash to clean...but we are getting some learning done.
Zack and Sandra are mapping out how they would have their own colony....we are reading Pocahontas and the Strangers and learning about Jamestown. So we will be going to Jamestown here in the next week or so.
Anna has taken off on reading and her math. Noah has been sick so if I can just get him to sit and color a paper is a miracle in and of its self.

Wow writing down what is going on makes me see we are getting stuff done. I was beginning to doubt we were.
Anna-Noel 2/22/02
Noah 2/3/04
September 24th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Regular
Everything is going pretty good for us. The kids seem to be learning plenty and are willing to do their work, actually they usually enjoy doing it. The only trouble is with me. How do you know if your doing enough? I don't want to push them to much and have them start to resent school. I guess it's always a balancing act and it's different with each kid.

Overall, very good!

DD 7 years old
DD 5 years old
DS 2 years old
DD 17 months
DS 6 months
Expecting #6 May 13th
September 24th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Things are going good here. Eathan is doing wonderful with his letter sounds and sounding out words. He still is having trouble with his one to one correspondence with math. It just hasn't clicked yet. I know that when he gets it, he will be like DUH, but right now it is throwing him for a loop. Like I have dice and we roll it and I tell him to hop that many times or walk that many steps or whatever comes in my brain at the time and he knows what the number is but he hops more or less. He has yet to roll a 3 and hop 3 times. Even with M&Ms...if I ask for more than 2 he gives way more or way less. If I ask for 2 he can give me 2, but if I ask for 4 I may or may not get 4. We'll get there though.

September 24th, 2007, 01:21 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Everything's good here. We actually haven't done school since Wednesday. The kids had mild colds the end of last week and getting ready for the parties we decided to skip school. We skipped today because I'm feeling out of sorts between the nasty lady yesterday and I think I may have a bit of the kids' colds. We'll get back to it tomorrow.

Ani's plugging away as usual. Cameron is finally "getting" reading and that is wonderful and exciting.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

September 24th, 2007, 03:41 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
We're taking a break now, obviously, but I'm planning for October. I have to figure out what to do with Daniel for reading. He really doesn't like the 100 EZ Lessons, but he isn't quite ready for easy readers from the library and I have nothing else.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

September 24th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Miguel's been flying through reading but still hates it. I finally figured out a way to get him to write at least a little. He's not doing well in math. Love science and socail studies. He's really intrested in religion right now. He's finished his first marking period and we're starting a homeschool group at the libary.

September 24th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We are still on our "summer" break, or should I say baby break! haha! It's been five weeks, but good Lord, I haven't slept a wink since!
Ds keeps begging and begging to do stuff but I just can't with everything going on. I've given him a few pages to do on his own, and he has done some workbook activities on his own too- heck, he's also been doing his educational computer games....so I guess we have been doing something. But I have no plans and we aren't doing all the subjects and all that. We are getting ready to move to TN in about three weeks so I probably won't start officially doing school with him until well after that.
BTW, how long is a typical summer break? 3 months? I don't want to take a break any longer than that- hopefully we'll go much shorter than that but we'll see.

September 25th, 2007, 05:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Xander is doing wonderfully. He's memorized his first poem and four bible verses, I've never seen a kid so proud of himself. His reading is wonderful. He's four years old and already reading Magic Tree Houses with just a little bit of help from me. And he comprehends it, he can answer questions when asked about it. I'm trying to teach him to do some narration exercises. That isn't so easy. He'd much rather just me ask questions instead of telling what we read back to me. He can be a little lazy at times. We've been struggling a little bit with penmanship, but he tries and that's all I ask for. He loves learning about animals for life sciences. So far we've learned about Lions and Tigers. He loves maps and globes which aren't really a part of our curriculum yet, but every time he hears of a new place he wants to go look it up on the globe. He finds Ancient Egypt fascinatingly and is continually talking about what we learn in History (did I mention I love The Story of the World series). He's also breathing through math, but to tell you the truth right now it's all review so I expected it to be easy.

Lucas is 2 and he wants to do school in the worst way. He's not like Xander was, and I have to remember that sometimes. But with Lucas I bought the Brain Quest for Two's and he loves doing those. I've been teaching him to count to 10. Apparently his favorite number is eight because a lot of times we get this "1,2,3,8" I also bought him an early learning workbook. He loves to color and is starting to recognize his colors. Sometimes I feel like I'm failing Lucas because he isn't as far as Xander was at that age. But then I remember that Xander also learned most of that stuff with his Leap Frog toys by himself. Xander's also has that kind of brain that just gets stuff really easily. Lucas is perfectly normal in his development.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search