1st grader how long

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 25th, 2007, 07:28 AM
Regular
should I be teaching her daily? She went to school from 8-2 everyday, but yesterday 4 hours seemed long enough or maybe to long. How long do you think I should do a day? She just turned 6 in June. Or do you think I should break up our day so it isn't so hard for her like 2 hours in the AM and then 2 hours in the PM? This is all so new to me, so any tips would be great! Thanks
September 25th, 2007, 07:31 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
1-2 hours a day is plenty at that age. 4 may actually be too much. Most of their time in school is spent on busy work and corralling the kids and waiting for others to finish.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

September 25th, 2007, 08:03 AM
Regular
With our 2nd grader, we only do about 2 hours a day of "school" the rest of the time is spent doing stuff that's a little more fun. Like art projects, playing pretend, being outside, etc. I agree I think 4 hours a day is a little to much! I always remind myself every morning to relax and enjoy the kids and play lots!

DD 7 years old
DD 5 years old
DS 2 years old
DD 17 months
DS 6 months
Expecting #6 May 13th
September 25th, 2007, 08:22 AM
Regular
Quote:
With our 2nd grader, we only do about 2 hours a day of "school" the rest of the time is spent doing stuff that's a little more fun. Like art projects, playing pretend, being outside, etc. I agree I think 4 hours a day is a little to much! I always remind myself every morning to relax and enjoy the kids and play lots![/b]
Thank you so much, today we will be doing much less "school" and more play, quality time together.
September 25th, 2007, 09:22 AM
ilovemy3wikids
My DD is doing 1st this year...we can finish everything up in 2- 2 1/2 hours a day, that includes doing fun projects and such! I let her help with cooking sometimes and have been teaching her to help with some easy household chores, she also helps to write our grocery list at times! I guess we do alot of more real world learning than book learning at this time. We also do alot of trips with a homeschool group we are part of!
September 25th, 2007, 09:28 AM
Regular
Quote:
My DD is doing 1st this year...we can finish everything up in 2- 2 1/2 hours a day, that includes doing fun projects and such! I let her help with cooking sometimes and have been teaching her to help with some easy household chores, she also helps to write our grocery list at times! I guess we do alot of more real world learning than book learning at this time. We also do alot of trips with a homeschool group we are part of![/b]

I am also a part of a homeschool group. Well We haven't been to a group meeting yet, but they have some planned in the near future.
September 25th, 2007, 10:02 AM
ilovemy3wikids
Quote:
Quote:
My DD is doing 1st this year...we can finish everything up in 2- 2 1/2 hours a day, that includes doing fun projects and such! I let her help with cooking sometimes and have been teaching her to help with some easy household chores, she also helps to write our grocery list at times! I guess we do alot of more real world learning than book learning at this time. We also do alot of trips with a homeschool group we are part of![/b]

I am also a part of a homeschool group. Well We haven't been to a group meeting yet, but they have some planned in the near future.
[/b]

That is great!! It took us over a year to find a group we fit into!!
September 25th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Regular
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[/b]

[/b]

I hope we like it, but apparently there are 400+ homeschooling families in our area, so we should fit in within someone LOL at least I hope anyways.
September 25th, 2007, 11:52 AM
ilovemy3wikids
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(babymamahr01 @ Sep 25 2007, 11:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotemain'>My DD is doing 1st this year...we can finish everything up in 2- 2 1/2 hours a day, that includes doing fun projects and such! I let her help with cooking sometimes and have been teaching her to help with some easy household chores, she also helps to write our grocery list at times! I guess we do alot of more real world learning than book learning at this time. We also do alot of trips with a homeschool group we are part of![/b]

[/b]

[/b][/quote]

I hope we like it, but apparently there are 400+ homeschooling families in our area, so we should fit in within someone LOL at least I hope anyways.
[/b][/quote]

WOW!! That is ALOT of homeschoolers We don't have that many here so it took us a little longer, but we are so happy with the one we have now!
September 25th, 2007, 01:00 PM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
My 5.5 year old just started 1st grade and we are up to between 45-75 minutes of actual work a day...
September 25th, 2007, 01:57 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Depending on your child I would say 45 minutes like declan there ^, up to 3 hours with projects for first grade.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
September 25th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We do 1 hour or a chapter (whatevers faster) of reading, about 15 minuets of math, and writing the alphabet which takes about 2 min. each day. Then we have a project of science or socail studies or a field trip. All together it's about 2 -3 hours depending how indepth he wants to get. We split it up through out the day and a lot of hands on things help

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search