15 characteristics

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 25th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Veteran
http://www.homefires.com/articles/ma..._the_child.asp

KB-9
BM-5
ER-2

September 25th, 2007, 09:51 PM
LeeG's Avatar Platinum Supermommy

September 26th, 2007, 05:34 AM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Here is how I live up to and feel about the characteristics!

Teach your kids because you think it's a privilege and a good idea. Be enthusiastic whenever you are learning together. Let your interest in the subject show!
**I have no problem with this one. I know what a privilege it is to teach mine and certainly know it is a good idea. I love learning with them so much that one day Patrick said, "Mama, I think you learn more than we do every year!" Yep, I think he is right....I get so excited when I learn something new.

Kids need a variety of new information. Don't keep rehashing the same subject over and over again.
**Okay! I do give a variety of information, but I also tend to rehash. I am just constantly throwing out review stuff to them to make sure they still have it. I think as long as I am giving new stuff that this is okay. Yes, they do sometimes seem irritated by it, but are learning it. I guess there has to be a balance.

Organize learning materials so that they are always readily available.
**Well, there's no doubt that I am an organizer. I agree that the day goes so much better when everything is laid out and ready to go. I know this because I have had the days when they weren't. I have done the Science experiments when I have everything sitting there ready, and I have done them when I had to run next door to the MIL's to get baking vinegar. I have started days with pencils laid out on the table and have started days looking for them. So, while I tend to be organized, I have also experienced the other side of the coin. I do agree with this characteristic.

Have a distraction free environment.
**We are good here. I make the kids turn all of their tv's and game systems off before starting. We do school in certain areas of the house most of the time. If we do change it up, I check the environment to make sure there are no distractions.
The one distraction that never fails to surface, however, is Ginger(dog). As soon as we sit down in the school room to do our "together" stuff, she runs to get her toy and starts rolling around playing. Either that, or she will go from one to the other of the kids to sit with them in their round chairs. There have been times when I've had to put her on the couch and shut the school room doors.

Teach your child when she's in a good mood - rested, fed, well, and happy.
**Nope...not only do I fail in this one, but don't totally agree with all of it. The "fed" one I agree with and do. The others...well...if I waited until all of mine were in good moods, rested, and happy, we would never have a full day of school. I am certainly not going to wait on the best moment for each one of them. There are times when they have to learn to work through their moodiness. Patrick has insomnia, so if we waited until he was well rested, he would be unschooled. Nope...this isn't happening here

The time to stop a lesson is when your kid is having success.
**I agree! I try to never stop something at a low point, unless we are both just fed up with it.

Be open to alternatives.
**Preach to me! I do not do well with change, but I am trying. I make out my plans for the year, so when something isn't working, I have had to learn to be flexible. When I was making out my weekly plans from my yearly plans this week, I realized that my old world History stuff wasn't lining up with my Social Studies stuff. I had to skip ahead in social studies to find the material that coincided with what we were learning in History. This is no problem..I just highlight off what we are doing for that week. It all ends up done in the end, but it's very hard for me to do! Change is just not easy for me. I am still learning that it is necessary in this setting!!!

Give your child the correct answer, rather than harping on the fact that he gave you the wrong one.
**Dear God...please help me to learn this one. Just the other day, while doing Math with Madison, this clicked with me. I suddenly thought...why am I going on and on about how many she missed on the test. The fact that it was a test shouldn't make me want to panic at the ones she missed. I reminded myself that what the test is for is to show me what she needs help with learning. So, I took the test and sat down with her and re-taught those things she was having trouble with. Something just clicked with me on this one this week. I agree with it!!! I guess, having come from the public school setting, I was conditioned to panic at missed things! I should take advantage of the fact that there is no one looking over our shoulders waiting for them to miss things.......this is homeschooling..it is about learning what you don't know instead of making the grade!!!

Keep your promises to your children.
**I TOTALLY agree with this one and TOTALLY stick by it. My kids will tell you in a heartbeat that "mom keeps her promises". It is something that I practice, no only in our schooling, but in everyday life. If I promise something, it is a done deal. I don't promise something that I'm not sure I can keep.

Trust your children to learn, and trust yourself to facilitate their learning.
**I like to hear proof that mine are learning. As I said earlier, I am always pulling up stuff that we previously learned..throwing it out there...to see if mine "got" it. I don't think some of this is a bad thing, but I could trust them, and myself, a little more.

Always take the time to answer your children's questions with facts, clarity, and honesty. Let them know that you think it is important to answer their questions, and that you
**I agree and live up to this one. I will stop school completely to go to the computer or a book with them if they have a question. We have gotten distracted from our original subject many times to answer a question. I love new questions and am not satisfied until we have found the answers!!!

September 26th, 2007, 07:28 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I agree with most of the points, but not all. For example, the distraction free environment may actually NOT be the best for some children. Some kids (particularly gifted ones) NEED extra input in order to concentrate on one thing. Makes no sense and I don't get it, but I've found it to be true. It's just another example of how kids are all different.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

September 26th, 2007, 01:35 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Also what are you supose to do with those distractions that come on two legs...yes younger kids! lol tie them up to the fan in another room?
Still some good points made.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
September 27th, 2007, 04:48 AM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
I really liked that article, particularly the following quote: "In homeschooling we parents have the delight of teaching our own children. Not only do we get to see the first step, and be there for the first tooth that falls out - we get to be there for the very first brain connections, we get to see them take acquired facts and figure out the rules that govern them."

As for the environment, I try to keep things fairly calm, but at the same time, I tell Reilly that the world can't stop simply because she's trying to concentrate. There are going to be things that distract her (like DECLAN!) and she needs to try to learn "around" the distractions.

Shery, I liked how you looked at each point!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

September 27th, 2007, 02:30 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Makes me wonder how they are defining "successful".

I consider our homeschooling to be successful, but a distraction-free environment just doesn't exist in my universe!

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 3 and John Anthony, born May 24

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

Remember your resolution to lose weight or start working out? Click the blinkie to join us!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search