Minn. illnesses worry CDC officials

Forum: Choosing to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 24th, 2009, 12:20 PM
MamaLacey's Avatar Mama of two boys & TTC #3
Send a message via AIM to MamaLacey Send a message via Yahoo to MamaLacey
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090123/ap_on_...gxr0BZ5wrHVJRIF

Quote:
Three of the five children — including the dead child — had not received any vaccine, due to a decision by their parents. But a shortage of Hib vaccine may also have contributed, CDC officials said.[/b]
Of course they weren't

http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20090124/hl_hs....0uoLa1ez_VJRIF

Quote:
"This is a situation we are quite disturbed about," said Dr. Ruth Lynfield, the Minnesota state epidemiologist. "The decrease in herd immunity we're seeing is likely related to the vaccine shortage."[/b]
That issue needs to be addressed & rectified then!
My 3yr old son Landan died 23hrs after being diagnosed with Meningococcal Meningitis. It is a potentially vaccine preventable disease. The vaccine isn't on the schedule until 11-12yrs but is approved for use at age 2yrs. Our second son received the vaccine in December 2010 when he was 2yrs old. My son & thousands of other children prove that a vaccine is needed at a younger age.
Meningitis Awareness FB - http://www.facebook.com/meningitisawareness
Landan's Story - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dLwEgZaS68
Landan's Memorial bracelets are available at his website below.

My Facebook - Landan's Memory-Of - AngelLandan.com
January 24th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Zanahoria's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh but those against vaccines will just jump around going "Oh oh but two of them WERE vaxed! See? They don't work!" and totally ignore that this outbreak could have been much further limited than it was if those other three were vaccinated. We know that vaccines do not work 100%, which is why they must rely on those around them on whom the vaccine has worked. And the outbreak probably ended with five instead of spreading further thanks to the herd immunity around them. If no one around that area was vaccinated, this would be a LOT worse than it was. Sadly, when you point things like this out to the anti-vax folks, the only counter they have to it is straw man arguements. I've seen it time and time again (basically ANY time there's a news article like the ones you posted that allow comments). Either they really don't know shiz from shinola about what herd immunity is and how it works, or they know they're full of it and straw man arguements is all they've got. Either way, I agree that the issue really does need addressing but how when people refuse to listen?
January 24th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Oh I know, people against vax will pull at anything they can. But lets be realistic. Nothing is as permanent as death. You can't come around from that, & you can't recover from it.
My 3yr old son Landan died 23hrs after being diagnosed with Meningococcal Meningitis. It is a potentially vaccine preventable disease. The vaccine isn't on the schedule until 11-12yrs but is approved for use at age 2yrs. Our second son received the vaccine in December 2010 when he was 2yrs old. My son & thousands of other children prove that a vaccine is needed at a younger age.

January 24th, 2009, 03:48 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Quote:
Oh but those against vaccines will just jump around going "Oh oh but two of them WERE vaxed! See? They don't work!" and totally ignore that this outbreak could have been much further limited than it was if those other three were vaccinated. We know that vaccines do not work 100%, which is why they must rely on those around them on whom the vaccine has worked.[/b]
Exactly. I just explained it to a friend this way : think of vaccines as body armor - they protect the body but do not make it invincible. If your child was in combat, you'd rather he be wearing body armor than not, wouldn't you?

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
January 24th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Oh but those against vaccines will just jump around going "Oh oh but two of them WERE vaxed! See? They don't work!" and totally ignore that this outbreak could have been much further limited than it was if those other three were vaccinated. We know that vaccines do not work 100%, which is why they must rely on those around them on whom the vaccine has worked.[/b]
Exactly. I just explained it to a friend this way : think of vaccines as body armor - they protect the body but do not make it invincible. If your child was in combat, you'd rather he be wearing body armor than not, wouldn't you?
[/b]
GREAT example! Ohhh i'm adding that to my list to use LOL Wonderful, wonderful explanation! Wonder if I can make that into a blinkie?

January 25th, 2009, 01:10 PM
LisaW's Avatar Blessed Mama
I'm new to the board, but this is a topic that I'm passionate about. I was on the CDC call regarding this situation in Minnesota and wanted to clear up a small piece of the info from these Yahoo articles. It is correct that 3 of the 5 were children had parents who chose not to vaccinate--although one wasn't anti-vax, they just chose to not begin vaccinating until age 5. The fourth child was not vaccinated because he/she was too young to have received the vaccine and the fifth child had an auto-immune disorder.

Just wanted to share that as I saw it was missing from this article. I believe the WebMD article all the info in it. They were also on the CDC call. It is so sad and I hate to see that it is these types of outbreaks that will open the eyes to the anti-vax population. No children should have to die in order to convince people that vaccines do more good than harm.

Lisa

My Scentsy Website
Email Me!
January 25th, 2009, 01:22 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Thanks for that info Lisa, and welcome to the board!

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
January 25th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Quote:
No children should have to die in order to convince people that vaccines do more good than harm.[/b]
I agree 100%

And thanks for clearing up some things!

January 25th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Zanahoria's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So four out of the five were not vaccinated, and the one with the auto-immune disorder... If that doesn't speak volumes I don't know what does.

Welcome to the board, and thanks for the clarification!
January 25th, 2009, 09:18 PM
HunterandLandonsmom's Avatar Super Mommy
wow...just wow... i think everyone said it all

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search