right ticked off

Forum: Choosing to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Closed Topic Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 29th, 2009, 07:40 AM
KimberlyD0
I am right ticked off at the moment, and scared.

I just got off the phone with Kayla's daycare. There is an outbrake of measles there. 7 children have been confirmed, 3 are hospitalized one is on a resperator in the NICU. All are under the age of 1.

Apparently one of the children who's parents opted out of the MMR contracted it and has now spread it around the daycare. Specifically its spread around the babies, the helpless ones who can't get the VAC yet.

Why am I upset you ask? Because Karrigan has been there 4 days in the last 2 weeks to help her get ajusted to the daycare in preperation for me returning to work, she's been exposed. Karrigan is more suseptable to things because of her condition so chances are she is going to get it.

I am just so angry.. this whole thing could have been avoided if this kids parents had just VAC their kid like their supposed to. Now I have not only normal colds and flus to worry about but these deadly PREVENTABLE things too?? has my poor kid not been through enough? With how she is it will likly hit her hard. I am keeping her in for the next little while so she can't give it to some other poor kid.

January 29th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Terri.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Terri.
Oh geez hun that's so scary!!! I'm so sorry that you have to worry about this!! when are people going to learn???!!!
January 29th, 2009, 08:43 AM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Oh no!
I really hope all who were exposed will be ok!
I am all for a parent's choice in whether or not to vaccinate their child - BUT - I think if you do choose not to, you should not be permitted to put your child in a daycare where babies are put at risk! That's just so selfish and reckless

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
January 29th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to Jamie's mommy
Wow. That's horrible and I would be furious about it, too. Measles isn't something to mess around with, even though most anti-vax parents will tell you otherwise. I hope your daughter gets better soon.

January 29th, 2009, 11:56 AM
MamaLacey's Avatar Mama of two boys & TTC #3
Send a message via AIM to MamaLacey Send a message via Yahoo to MamaLacey
Ugh - I wish people would learn. And I agree - If your kids aren't vax'd they shouldn't be in public school or daycare. That is not fair to the other children who are too young to be vax'd. Why can't people see that?!!!

KUP On how your LO is doing!
My 3yr old son Landan died 23hrs after being diagnosed with Meningococcal Meningitis. It is a potentially vaccine preventable disease. The vaccine isn't on the schedule until 11-12yrs but is approved for use at age 2yrs. Our second son received the vaccine in December 2010 when he was 2yrs old. My son & thousands of other children prove that a vaccine is needed at a younger age.
Meningitis Awareness FB - http://www.facebook.com/meningitisawareness
Landan's Story - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dLwEgZaS68
Landan's Memorial bracelets are available at his website below.

My Facebook - Landan's Memory-Of - AngelLandan.com
January 29th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Cheep Sk8's Avatar Veteran
I usually lurk here, but I just wanted to say that my prayers are with you and all those sick babies. You have every right to be livid. I would definitely be putting some pressure on that daycare. I think if day cares choose to except unvaxed children, then all the parents should be made aware of it.

January 29th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Zanahoria's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
If your kids aren't vax'd they shouldn't be in public school or daycare.[/b]
I totally agree! It infuriates me to no end that they can LIE their butts off to get a "religious exemption" (and I think those that do are HORRIBLE people) and then send their little germ vessels out to expose everyone else! Daycares and schools should not permit these kids to go IMO, I don't care how much crying about "fairness" they do! How fair is it to all the sick babies that are now hospitalized because of ONE person? I'm so glad I don't have my kids in daycare for exactly this reason.

I hope your LO doesn't get it, and I hope those poor babies who were exposed pull through it okay. Keep us updated!

Ugh, just sick sick sick.
January 29th, 2009, 08:25 PM
LisaW's Avatar Blessed Mama
That is so awful. Going back to work after having a baby is hard enough, but to have to worry about something preventable? That is just terrible. I'm sorry you're having to deal with this.

My Scentsy Website
Email Me!
January 30th, 2009, 06:10 AM
Veteran
On the subject of lying, there are non-vaccinating parents who will even go so far as to lie about their kid's vax status in the ER and if their kid had a few vaccinations, some will "lose" the kid's vax record.

January 30th, 2009, 06:26 AM
Quote:
On the subject of lying, there are non-vaccinating parents who will even go so far as to lie about their kid's vax status in the ER and if their kid had a few vaccinations, some will "lose" the kid's vax record.[/b]
How weird! ?
I just read a post on the Choosing Not To Vaccinate board yesterday where someone said they are going to lie and get a religious exemption

January 30th, 2009, 01:32 PM
MamaLacey's Avatar Mama of two boys & TTC #3
Send a message via AIM to MamaLacey Send a message via Yahoo to MamaLacey
Quote:
I just read a post on the Choosing Not To Vaccinate board yesterday where someone said they are going to lie and get a religious exemption [/b]
Wow, how low will people go? That's very sad. Ugh makes me sick almost people pull that kinda crap
My 3yr old son Landan died 23hrs after being diagnosed with Meningococcal Meningitis. It is a potentially vaccine preventable disease. The vaccine isn't on the schedule until 11-12yrs but is approved for use at age 2yrs. Our second son received the vaccine in December 2010 when he was 2yrs old. My son & thousands of other children prove that a vaccine is needed at a younger age.
Meningitis Awareness FB - http://www.facebook.com/meningitisawareness
Landan's Story - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dLwEgZaS68
Landan's Memorial bracelets are available at his website below.

My Facebook - Landan's Memory-Of - AngelLandan.com
January 30th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Wyoming is currently looking to make our exemption laws more strict. We have religious or medical exemptions and the majority are "religious" aka... "I don't wanna." Our exemptions are lifetime exemptions so once they fill it out, get it approved by our Dept of Health head, it's good for a lifetime. We have found that some kids who have an exemption are currently vaccinated. We later learned that the school deadline was coming and mom just didn't feel like taking the child and it was "easier" to just get an exemption. She later got the immunizations.

We are working to require annual exemptions.

My Scentsy Website
Email Me!
January 30th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Here in WA there is medical, religious or philosophical exemption.

January 30th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Well I think that public schools and daycares should be exempt from admitting them!
January 30th, 2009, 07:59 PM
KimberlyD0
Sad news...

the little boy in the NICU, he was only 7 months old, passed away today due to complications from the measles. My heart brakes for his mother.

January 30th, 2009, 08:40 PM
I so want to go on the non-vac board and post "See!" What a tragedy, even more so because it could have been prevented!

January 30th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Veteran
Quote:
I so want to go on the non-vac board and post "See!" What a tragedy, even more so because it could have been prevented! [/b]
I want to post something, too, but they would just say What about the countless other kids who died from the vaccine? Ugh. Makes me sick. I'm so tired of hearing stories like these. I'm tempted to say that unvaxed kids should live far away from everyone else so they can infect each other and not helpless little babies who can't get the vaccine. Poor kids. It's not even their choice to be unvaccinated and they have to suffer the consequences AND get the diseases! It's so unfair.

January 30th, 2009, 11:29 PM
Don't bother, they don't care about anybody but themselves. Measles: "a fever and a rash, no big deal".... Tell that to the parents of this baby that lost their baby boy. I am so sad for these people there are no words. I wish they could sue the irresponsible idiots that caused this, but that wouldn't bring their baby back so what's the point.

People need a serious freaking wake-up call.
January 31st, 2009, 01:23 PM
Quote:
Sad news...

the little boy in the NICU, he was only 7 months old, passed away today due to complications from the measles. My heart brakes for his mother.

[/b]
That is just awful. The absolute WORST part is that it his mother couldn't prevent it. Because other people chose not to vaccinate, her child contracted measles. The MMR vaccine isn't given until 12months old so this baby couldn't get immunized yet. So sad.

My Scentsy Website
Email Me!
January 31st, 2009, 07:19 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You could have, AT LEAST, came back here and posted the entire story.

http://www.justmommies.com/boards/index.ph...owtopic=1447709

Quote:
The daycare called and told me there was an outbrake in the center. They actually didn't specify measles, one of the other parents did.

There has been no information released to the public as of yet. Soon as there is some I'll send it your way. I think since there has been no more children sick and it seems isolated to this daycare they're trying to prevent a panic. The 2 other children in hospital have been released with no further complications, and the others apparently are now fine. Most people don't really know anything. All I know is second hand info.

Most of my information I have is from other parents. The baby who passed was set for an autopsy this morning. So I'm hoping we'll have news soon.[/b]
Quote:
Admittedly I am going by second hand information through the grape vine sort of deal. I was told measles and I of course reacted with anger and a bit of fear, I mean its not something to play around with. I havn't talked directly to the daycare since, as I have been keeping the girls home.

I've not actually seen the kids first hand, just been told information. I know that a little baby boy has died, that was a spot on the local news, though not in the paper supriseingly. When I found out about this little boy dieing I'll admit I jumped to the conclusion that it is from measles complications on my own, since thats what I was told he had. I suppose its entirely possible that its incorrect information.. in which case I will happily eat my words so to speak. Either way I am sure we will know by the end of the weekend.

I never thought of the whole media thing. Your right though they should be all over this.. if I got the wrong info and spread it more I am going to feel so horrible. No one has even said who the first child was, though I expect they probably wouldn't for confidentiality.

I feel like an idiot.. I shouldn't have said anything untill I had more to go one you guys gave me some good stuff to think about that I never would have questioned.. I must be stupid not to think the same things..

do I sound as stupid as I feel...[/b]
Closed Topic

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search