I'm lost I guess

Forum: Choosing to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 1st, 2009, 01:00 PM
MamaLacey's Avatar Mama of two boys & TTC #3
Send a message via AIM to MamaLacey Send a message via Yahoo to MamaLacey
I don't really understand why one of the posts was closed? I'm perplexed. We have strong opinions too & I didn't see anything that was out of line. I wish an explanation was given.
My 3yr old son Landan died 23hrs after being diagnosed with Meningococcal Meningitis. It is a potentially vaccine preventable disease. The vaccine isn't on the schedule until 11-12yrs but is approved for use at age 2yrs. Our second son received the vaccine in December 2010 when he was 2yrs old. My son & thousands of other children prove that a vaccine is needed at a younger age.
Meningitis Awareness FB - http://www.facebook.com/meningitisawareness
Landan's Story - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dLwEgZaS68
Landan's Memorial bracelets are available at his website below.

My Facebook - Landan's Memory-Of - AngelLandan.com
February 1st, 2009, 01:03 PM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to Jamie's mommy
I think she closed her own thread. She's a moderator on some other boards. I'm not entirely sure, though.

February 1st, 2009, 01:07 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
She's a host, not a moderator. Hosts can't close their own threads. Someone likely reported it to a moderator - I'm sure it was closed to avoid it becoming heated.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
February 1st, 2009, 01:07 PM
Still doesn't make sense to me lol I'd feel alot better if someone had said "This topic was closed to avoid becoming heated"

ETA: I doubt it was anyone here that reported it.
My 3yr old son Landan died 23hrs after being diagnosed with Meningococcal Meningitis. It is a potentially vaccine preventable disease. The vaccine isn't on the schedule until 11-12yrs but is approved for use at age 2yrs. Our second son received the vaccine in December 2010 when he was 2yrs old. My son & thousands of other children prove that a vaccine is needed at a younger age.

February 1st, 2009, 01:12 PM
I could see it getting nasty if it hadn't been closed though - there was activity in the private subforum of the non-vax board at the time, and I recognized the screen name of one of those who posted in the thread here.... it could have turned into an argument.

Erica should have PM'd her instead of calling her out on this board - that was causing trouble.

February 1st, 2009, 01:14 PM
That's why I think we should stay on our own board when it comes to such a heated topic. There really should have been no opportunity for it to get heated. If we want to come together to debate then we can do that on the Heated Topics board. I agree - if could have become heated. This is why it's important for us to have a sub private forum. I don't want to sound rude, but I know they wouldn't be happy if we posted on their board. Just makes me sad I guess that it even could have potentially gotten out of hand.

ETA: I don't want people to feel like they can't post here. Makes me sad that it made Kimberly feel awkward.

February 1st, 2009, 01:28 PM
I pm'd her since I couldn't offer her support in the closed thread.

February 1st, 2009, 01:44 PM
LisaW's Avatar Blessed Mama
Quote:
I pm'd her since I couldn't offer her support in the closed thread.[/b]
I also PM'd her. I didn't like that she felt like an "idiot" over the whole thing.

I would guess she requested the thread be closed.

My Scentsy Website
Email Me!
February 1st, 2009, 03:22 PM
Quote:
Quote:
I pm'd her since I couldn't offer her support in the closed thread.[/b]
I also PM'd her. I didn't like that she felt like an "idiot" over the whole thing.

I would guess she requested the thread be closed.
[/b]
I was getting ready to do that, I'm glad someone already did. I hope she comes back to the board!

February 1st, 2009, 04:16 PM
Veteran
I'm still kind of new here and I thought that hosts and moderators were the same thing. I guess that's what happens when you assume, right? :-P

February 1st, 2009, 05:11 PM
KimberlyD0
Thanks for the support guys.

No I didn't ask for the thread to be closed.. I'm as suprised as everyone else. I posted it on the AP and in the May 08 boreds too and neither of them has been closed. I didn't get a PM or anything about it.

I wasn't trying to make trouble.. but I mean I kind of figured this was the place to post issues like that..

thanks to those who PMed me.. It made me feel a lot better.
February 1st, 2009, 06:34 PM
Quote:
Thanks for the support guys.

No I didn't ask for the thread to be closed.. I'm as suprised as everyone else. I posted it on the AP and in the May 08 boreds too and neither of them has been closed. I didn't get a PM or anything about it.

I wasn't trying to make trouble.. but I mean I kind of figured this was the place to post issues like that..

thanks to those who PMed me.. It made me feel a lot better. [/b]
This should be the type of place where you can get support & post threads like that hun. Hopefully we'll soon have a private forum where any strong feelings can go! Please don't feel awkward about coming here now!

February 2nd, 2009, 02:15 AM
Zanahoria's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Perhaps some people need a reminder to read the reminder stickied at the top of this forum, KWIM? You know, the reminder that if you can't be supportive of choosing to vaccinate on this board, then maybe this isn't the board to be posting on...
February 2nd, 2009, 03:04 AM
Quote:
Perhaps some people need a reminder to read the reminder stickied at the top of this forum, KWIM? You know, the reminder that if you can't be supportive of choosing to vaccinate on this board, then maybe this isn't the board to be posting on...[/b]
Good idea, I've seen alot of board have rules stickied at the top. Def something to put in place once we have a host.

ETA-DUH we already have one lol I totally read that wrong.

February 2nd, 2009, 07:03 AM
Veteran
Didn't someone from the anti-vax board post something before the thread was closed saying not to post about things that you don't understand and how she was glad that she never joined this board? I thought that was offensive, but I'm not going to go over there and violate the rules of their board and get one of their offensive threads locked. I think what these people did was childish, especially when they vent about parents who vaccinate on their board, call our kids shedders (because they shed the vaccine and it gets their kid sick, or so they say), and they assume that none of us did any research and just blindly go along with what the doctor says. I'm not saying all non-vaccinating parents do this, but the outspoken anti-vaxers do. I was on an AP site for awhile and that's pretty much all they would talk about and the moderators would delete any threads that didn't go along with this mindset. It's sad to see this same thing happen at a more tolerant forum.

ETA: The person who posted the last thread in the closed forum PMed me and clarified that she just meant that we didn't understand people's reasons for not vaccinating, not that we didn't understand about the situation. I still think reporting the thread before asking one of us what we meant by the things we said was kind of crazy. Like I said before, there are plenty of threads at the non-vaccinating board where people make assumptions about us and none of us run over there and have them shut down. I also think the person who included the other information should've sent a PM instead of posting it there. The demonstrates why we need a private forum or a venting forum.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search