Child dies 47 days after Hep B vaccine is administered

Forum: Choosing to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 2nd, 2009, 09:35 PM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to Jamie's mommy
I found this family's story posted on the choosing not to vaccinate board and thought I would post it here to see what you all thought about it. It's on the website Age of Autism, the first entry at the top of the page. I read the mother's testimony and I am more apt to blame the doctors who administered the vaccine and were caring for this boy than the vaccine itself. They didn't give her any information on the vaccine or its side-effects, they vaccinated him even though he was in the NICU and had a fever, and they handled the entire situation horribly. It doesn't say what hospital he was born at, as far as I saw, but my pediatrician (who was also my son's physician after birth) would've never done this. I've gotten pamphlets on all of the vaccines from the CDC at their office. So I would not blame this child's death on the vaccine but on the fact that he got the vaccine at the wrong time and that his doctors were negligent.

February 3rd, 2009, 01:12 AM
Zanahoria's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes, I agree. I have always been given the information sheet with a vaccination, and they're usually pretty clear that you should wait if your kid is sick. Hell, I put it off if my kids have had even the slightest sniffle within a couple weeks of our appointment. I think that vaccinating at that time was horribly irresponsible of the medical staff, I mean he was already in the NICU ffs!

I am curious about something though... It said in there that they chose to stop all his medications except his pain relief, but they don't make any mention of which meds or what they were for. Yes, some medications make you feel like crap, but in the long run they help. Chemotherapy makes people sick as hell, but there's no disputing that it often cures cancer. Could the outcome perhaps have been different if they let the doctors continue to treat the baby instead of stopping all his meds and just seeing what happens? I also don't understand why they weren't draining the fluid sooner. Either that story was written with poor attention to detail, or they're not giving info for some reason.

And not to brush off this story, but I'm always skeptical when I consider that particular source where it was posted (ageofautism is SO biased in everything they post that I don't bother reading most of it)
February 3rd, 2009, 03:44 AM
MamaLacey's Avatar Mama of two boys & TTC #3
Send a message via AIM to MamaLacey Send a message via Yahoo to MamaLacey
Such a sweet little baby. As you both said I don't really feel like it was "JUST" the vaccine - There was obviously wrong doing in the hands of the doctors.

Really, where do we draw the line when it comes to vaccinating & not? And what has higher risks? What is a person to do?

This sweet little boy lost his life, possibly because of a vaccine. And I don't know what complications he might have had if he'd survived.

My son died because of a vaccine preventable disease that isn't recommended for his age range. Had he survived meningococcal meningitis would have had several amputations & an entire slew of other possible complications including kidney problems, blindness, hearing loss, seizures, I could go on & on.

It's a perplexing issue. But being through the nightmare I have - I will not take any chances with these diseases. Their wrath is devastating.
My 3yr old son Landan died 23hrs after being diagnosed with Meningococcal Meningitis. It is a potentially vaccine preventable disease. The vaccine isn't on the schedule until 11-12yrs but is approved for use at age 2yrs. Our second son received the vaccine in December 2010 when he was 2yrs old. My son & thousands of other children prove that a vaccine is needed at a younger age.
Meningitis Awareness FB - http://www.facebook.com/meningitisawareness
Landan's Story - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dLwEgZaS68
Landan's Memorial bracelets are available at his website below.

My Facebook - Landan's Memory-Of - AngelLandan.com
February 3rd, 2009, 06:58 AM
LisaW's Avatar Blessed Mama
That's sad. She doesn't mention what the doctors DID feel the problem was. She said that they didn't feel it was related to the vaccine, but didn't say what hey felt it was related to. If there was what they felt to be a logical reason for his symptoms, I can see why they wouldn't think it was related to the vaccine. Hepatitis B has complications in 1 in 1.1 million shots. It's not something the doctors would immediately jump to.

My heart goes out to the family. So sad.

From the cdc:
Hepatitis B is a very safe vaccine. Most people do
not have any problems with it.
The following mild problems have been reported:
• Soreness where the shot was given (up to about 1
person in 4).
• Temperature of 99.9°F or higher (up to about 1
person in 15).
Severe problems are extremely rare. Severe allergic
reactions are believed to occur about once in 1.1
million doses.
A vaccine, like any medicine, could cause a serious
reaction. But the risk of a vaccine causing serious
harm, or death, is extremely small. More than 100
million people have gotten hepatitis B vaccine in the
United States.

My Scentsy Website
Email Me!
February 3rd, 2009, 08:14 AM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to Jamie's mommy
The post isn't at the top of the page anymore. It's the third one down. It's the first one that mentions Hep B.

I went back and read this and it's appalling how grossly negligent and idiotic these doctors were. They were going to release this newborn baby when he had a fever of over 100 degrees! My pediatrician told me to call her if my son had a fever of 100.4. If he had a fever over 100, I would be taking him to the ER. I can't believe they were actually going to discharge him. And then they gave a vaccine to a child who was already fighting an illness. If this were my child, I would be suing the doctors, not blaming the vaccine.

February 3rd, 2009, 09:06 AM
KimberlyD0
I highly suspect there is more to this story then what we are reading and hearing. Something is missing from the entire story.

It was extreamly irrisponsible, even negligent to give this shot to this baby while sick. I suspect that has more to do with him dieing then the needle on its own. When your ammun system is comprimised already then its a really bad idea to comprimise it ferther.

I would like to hear what the doctors say happends as well. I suspect the truth is somewhere in the middle.

With odd of 1-1.1MILLION I can see how that wouldn't be the first thing that would occure to them.

While maconium is not uncommon, it cause and has led to death. Its possible that this is in fact the main cause for this tragity. I am sure the Heb B shot didn't help, but I think its more likly that had he been healthy at the time of the ingection this most likly wouldn't have happend.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search