medical insurence

Forum: Choosing to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 3rd, 2009, 08:18 PM
KimberlyD0
OK so I'm just really curious.

I was watching Sicko again today (great movie) and they were talking about how people with pre-existing conditions can't get medical insurence. Does not getting your child VAXed put them into that kind of situation?

I just wonder if since they're are higher risk of getting these deseases then a child who does have the VAX. I mean I know that some kids can still get them when VAXed, but its not as common, and usually less severe.

Would the companies not want to take a chance on them? I mean it would cost them more money should the unthinkable happen.

Like a say a Kid contracts measles or some other sickness that they weren't VAXed, could they turn him down for care?

I know SOME of our health insurence companies (for the extra's like medications, private or semi-private hospital rooms, and the like) will not cover for meds or what not for an unVAXed child. Like some wont cover diabetis drugs, or ashma drugs when its pre-existing.

I know ours does cover pre-existing, since I have had GERD for 9 years now and we only got the health insurence 3 years ago.

Just wondering where that would fall in the US health system.

February 4th, 2009, 02:50 AM
Zanahoria's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No, I don't think insurance companies can not cover people based on vaccination status but I'm not completely sure. You are right that it would be far more expensive if someone were to contract a vaccine preventable disease. I plan to remind my insurance company of that if they give me any hassle about wanting to separate the MMR. I've heard many companies won't cover the three separate shots, which is stupid because they want their policy holders immunized one way or another to cut down the risk that they might have to pay for treatment of the disease itself. It probably won't make a difference to them if I remind them that covering the three shots is the more cost effective alternative to not vaccinating at all, but its worth a try. And who knows, they might be totally cool and cover it, at least partially.

Insurance companies are all slimeballs IMO.
February 5th, 2009, 04:30 AM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
That's a good question, and a very good point about the cost! I have never heard of anyone being refused coverage due to not vaccinating.

Zanahoria, Merck is no longer producing the monovalent vaccines, I am not sure if you will be able to separate it by the time Daniel is old enough to receive it. http://www.aafp.org/online/en/home/publica...merckcombo.html

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
February 5th, 2009, 10:27 AM
kimmiejo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hello! I don't post here but have been lurking a bit due to our upcoming 1 yr appointment.....I just wanted to respond because I work for a private US health insurance company. At this point in time vaccine status is not taken into consideration as to if a person would or would not be insured and/or it would not impact the rate they would pay. Of course this is to the best of my knowledge at this point in time. I suppose other companies may have different policies and maybe in time something may change?

and Zanahoria you are right that not all insurance companies will cover 3 seperate shots but I urge you to appeal the decision if they would deny it (not saying your company would but "if") All insurance companies have appeals processes and they can be very beneficial to your cause! Just wanted to mention that because I work directly with this every day and even though it is a hassle it can really work out in your favor!
February 5th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Zanahoria's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hmm, I wonder if my pediatrician can order it now and hold it until Daniel is old enough? I know they special order theirs from some pharmacy in Louisiana. Think I'll put in a call to the nurse about it today. Is Merck the ONLY manufacturer of the single vaccines?

Thanks for the info about appealing to insurance companies. I'll keep that in mind should they try to deny the claim.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search