Do you trust the medical profession?

Forum: Choosing to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 5th, 2009, 06:41 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
In general, do you feel you can trust those in the medical profession? On boards, I find there seems to be a lot of distrust of the medical community, scoffing at doctors, even many people who seem to believe that the medical community is actually a danger to us, that they just want our money at the expense of our health. How do you feel, in general, do you trust your doctors, and medical science?

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

Looking for fun lunch ideas for kids? Check out my blog: BentOnBetterLunches!
February 5th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to Jamie's mommy
I trust the medical profession pretty well, overall. I don't trust my son's pediatrician group that much, though. We go to a teaching college and I often know more than the residents do about things. I wanted to be a doctor for awhile and I still like reading about different things related to medicine. I read a ton of information about food allergies once I knew that my son definitely had them. I'm not one of those parents who backs down at the doctor's office and does whatever the pediatrician wants. They keep trying to give me pamphlets about the flu shot even though he has an egg allergy, so I'm very glad that I read so much about it. I've diagnosed illnesses before and the diagnosis turned out to be right. I've diagnosed my own strep throat before and my son's food allergies. I guess it depends a lot on the doctor and their track record of giving correct information.

February 5th, 2009, 08:22 PM
KimberlyD0
Over all I would say Yes. I trust them.. but I also know that sometimes they can be wrong.

They, like everyone else, have their hang ups and their mistakes. They're not perfict. But I also know that not just anyone can become a doctor. Its a lot of work, and a lot of smarts. They are doing what they trully think is best.

I am blessed to live in a country where there is UHC. I find that less people tend to be bashing medical people about costs, and filling their own pockets, since they are paid by the govenment not by the each patient. They get paid for each patient anyway so its not really about making money. They still make darn good money, but they're not in someones pocket like I have heard some people say.

Maybe that gives me a different perspective. I mean I know my doctor does get samples of some drugs which he gives to patients who have no drug coverage. But I don't think that means he's paid off by them. I mean he'll give a perscription of whatever drug the person needs, but has some for those who just can't pay.

For example I have acid reflux and before my DH had insurence the cost of it came out of pocket. over $250 a month on that drug alone. So my doctor gave me enough samples to last me the month, and refilled it when I needed it. Once I had my own insurence I got a perscription instead. That it was free was only a bonus, after all what he gave me was what I needed.

I wont say I always agree with my doctor 100% of the time. I do my own research and whatnot too. He's very good though, he will even go through my research with me.

For example neither he nor the pediatrition knew anything about CMTC (what Karrigan has) so I went ahead and did research like they were. Between the 3 of us we've gotten so much information. Its so much better to work with the doctor not against them. I know some older doctors need some new information about a lot of things though. That can be a PITA. But they're not intentionally giving bad advice, but giving the advice THEY feel is right.

I actually get really annoyed when I see people bashing doctors. Its fine if you don't agree, but they're not out to get you. (general you) maybe they just might have a small clue about what they're talking about... just a little

February 5th, 2009, 09:01 PM
MamaLacey's Avatar Mama of two boys & TTC #3
Send a message via AIM to MamaLacey Send a message via Yahoo to MamaLacey
I do trust them. I love Layne's pediatrician. She actually called up to the hospital EVERY SINGLE HOUR to get updates on how Landan was doing. She called so much that the nurses had to ask her to stop calling because they couldn't take time away from him to answer questions. She came to the hospital that night after work to check on him & the next morning after he passed away. She also called up to the NICU once Layne was born to check on him, and that was before we'd even talked to her! As soon as she saw he was born & in the NICU she was on the phone with his Neonatologist. She's an amazing person, with a heart of gold. I know she'd never lie or steer us in the wrong direction.

This is probably unrelated but the biggest problem for me is the lack of compassion sometimes.
My 3yr old son Landan died 23hrs after being diagnosed with Meningococcal Meningitis. It is a potentially vaccine preventable disease. The vaccine isn't on the schedule until 11-12yrs but is approved for use at age 2yrs. Our second son received the vaccine in December 2010 when he was 2yrs old. My son & thousands of other children prove that a vaccine is needed at a younger age.
Meningitis Awareness FB - http://www.facebook.com/meningitisawareness
Landan's Story - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dLwEgZaS68
Landan's Memorial bracelets are available at his website below.

My Facebook - Landan's Memory-Of - AngelLandan.com
February 6th, 2009, 12:00 AM
Zanahoria's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I trust doctors. I think that the paranoia that they're all in somebody's pocket is ridiculous and nothing more than pure paranoia! I love our pediatrician, he's a sweet old man who's been caring for children at least 30 years (he was DH's doctor when he was a kid) and I am 100% confident that he has our children's best interests at heart. Now, I'm not saying that doctors never make mistakes because they most certainly do, so I don't just blindly trust that they always have the right answer. They are only human after all, and sometimes more than one illness share the same symptoms so I can see how things are misdiagnosed, but I also trust them a lot more than oh, say, a ditzy celebrity, to know what's best for my child. Come on now, the big bad boogeyman doctors aren't sitting around in their dark lairs cackling and twirling their evil moustaches at the thought of making money by poisoning our children. I honestly just laugh at the consipiracy theorists who try to convince people that doctors would poison our children (and us) to make a buck.
August 10th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Spotis's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
With so much information available on the internet now, I think it's fueled a distrust of medical providers. There's so much scary stuff on the net. It's maddening if you're a mom. You can't help but worry...what if the doctor is wrong...what if my kid is one of the exceptions???

I always say, "be you're own advocate (or child's advocate)." At the same time, form a good relationship with your doctor and have faith in your doctor. If things aren't going right, if you're worried, or you just have an inkling, then speak up. And if you really don't trust you're doctor or feel that your doctor is blowing you off, then it's time to find a new doctor.

Nolan John turns 2 on 8/28/09
Thank you Jessica for the siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search