Tetanus vaccine campaign in Sierra Leone

Forum: Choosing to Vaccinate

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Choosing to Vaccinate LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 6th, 2009, 01:20 AM
Zanahoria's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/Story?...4291&page=1

Quote:
Sierra Leone has the highest infant and child death rate in the world. One in five children die before reaching their fifth birthday and tetanus is a big contributor -- 21 percent of all infant deaths are related to tetanus.

Tetanus deaths are preventable with routine vaccinations. UNICEF has launched an initiative to eradicate the disease worldwide by 2012. In Sierra Leone the cost of immunizing one person is about 74 cents.[/b]
ONE IN FIVE children die. WOW. That is staggering!

So I wonder, are mothers in Sierra Leone worried about autism or "vaccine damage"? How high does the death toll of a disease have to get before the risks of vaccines are deemed okay? I'm sure the good that this vaccine will do in countries like this can hardly be disputed! (Though I'm sure some will find a way, heh)

I applaud everyone involved in this vaccine campaign for their efforts, including parents who buy the packs of pampers that help pay for it. (lol I wonder if anti-vaxers boycott these packs so they can feel like they saved a child from vaccine damage) I also applaud the manufacturer of the vaccines, at 74 cents a pop I can hardly assume they're out to make a buck here, KWIM?
February 6th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to Jamie's mommy
At rates like that, I would accept pretty much any vaccine reaction just so my son wouldn't die from tetanus. To answer your question about the Pampers, a lot of "crunchy" people use cloth diapers. Most people who use disposables, even occasionally, will not buy Pampers because they're funding these vaccines. I'm sure some might, but through my experience, I've found that many don't.

February 7th, 2009, 12:24 PM
MamaLacey's Avatar Mama of two boys & TTC #3
Send a message via AIM to MamaLacey Send a message via Yahoo to MamaLacey
Wow! That is so shocking! I can't believe those rates, I'm speechless.
My 3yr old son Landan died 23hrs after being diagnosed with Meningococcal Meningitis. It is a potentially vaccine preventable disease. The vaccine isn't on the schedule until 11-12yrs but is approved for use at age 2yrs. Our second son received the vaccine in December 2010 when he was 2yrs old. My son & thousands of other children prove that a vaccine is needed at a younger age.
Meningitis Awareness FB - http://www.facebook.com/meningitisawareness
Landan's Story - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dLwEgZaS68
Landan's Memorial bracelets are available at his website below.

My Facebook - Landan's Memory-Of - AngelLandan.com
February 22nd, 2009, 10:43 PM
KimberlyD0
Quote:
At rates like that, I would accept pretty much any vaccine reaction just so my son wouldn't die from tetanus. To answer your question about the Pampers, a lot of "crunchy" people use cloth diapers. Most people who use disposables, even occasionally, will not buy Pampers because they're funding these vaccines. I'm sure some might, but through my experience, I've found that many don't.[/b]

I use cloth diapers.... does that make me "crunchy"

I think its a wonderful campaign. I have never been a huge fan of Pampers, too much perfume smell, but before we started cloth I did buy them simply because of this. These poor people can't aford this vaccine, so ifby buying a bag of diapers I can save a life, its the least I can do. I think the last thing these moms are worried about is Autism, they just want their LO's to have a chance to grow up.

When we were potty training Kayla I bought Pampers Easy Ups for the same reason.

When we traveled to Ottawa we had to use normal diapers so I bought Pampers, when we travel again in May we'll get Pampers again.

February 23rd, 2009, 06:21 AM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to Jamie's mommy
I don't like the smell of Pampers, either. Luvs smell weird, too. I sometimes use cloth and sometimes use disposables. I wish Huggies was doing this, too. *sigh*

February 23rd, 2009, 02:35 PM
Zanahoria's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Did anyone see the clip of her breastfeeding one of the babies while she was there?

It's so sad, these women stop breastfeeding early because of pressure from their husbands (in their culture men can't have sex with a breastfeeding woman) so not only do they have diseases like tetanus to contend with, but many of the babies are malnourished as well. If you hop on youtube you can easily find the clip of her nursing some woman's baby and talking about how her grandmother told her about a time when she encountered a woman crying because her baby was hungry and her milk had dried up, so she took the baby and nursed it right there in the street, back when NIP was VERY taboo. It's pretty heartwarming actually.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search